Importance of filling your 2L summer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Importance of filling your 2L summer?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:33 am

This past summer, had a 1L SA position (9 weeks). I am going back to the firm for my 2L summer, but the 2L program is only 6 weeks. How important is it that I try to get a second position to fill the rest of my summer?

koalatriste

Re: Importance of filling your 2L summer?

Postby koalatriste » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:20 pm

i mean, like, um . . . it doesn't matter as long as they extend a permanent offer. I'm sure there are people on these boards that would gladly work a 1-week SA as their only summer gig, as long as it resulted in an offer.

enjoy europe.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:23 pm

Add something for the other half. You will spend 3L drowning in regret if the firm doesn't expend you an offer and you didn't take advantage of an opportunity to double your chances of receiving one.

koalatriste

Postby koalatriste » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:20 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Add something for the other half. You will spend 3L drowning in regret if the firm doesn't expend you an offer and you didn't take advantage of an opportunity to double your chances of receiving one.

my response was predicted on the assumption that any paid/leading-to-permanent-employment hiring is pretty much finished and OP's offer situation for next summer isn't going to change. I think OP was more interested in wondering if there is any benefit to picking up a USAO/DA/PI/etc. job for the second-half of the summer. To which my response is: no, not unless you prefer fluorescent lights to the champ du mars.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:02 pm

koalatriste wrote:I think OP was more interested in wondering if there is any benefit to picking up a USAO/DA/PI/etc. job for the second-half of the summer. To which my response is: no, not unless you prefer fluorescent lights to the champ du mars.

OP here.

This is exactly what I was wondering. I'm asking because when I accepted my offer my mentor from last summer asked if I knew what I was doing with the rest of my summer. I'm hoping that they were just making conversation or gauging the competition rather than expressing concern that I might only be working half the summer.

FWIW, I don't prefer fluorescent lights.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:13 pm

Vaca

Return to “Legal Employment”