Job after state clerkship

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Job after state clerkship

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:28 am

I'm a 3L and I've been offered a 2 year clerkship with a state appellate court. It's the only offer I have right now, so I'll probably take it, but I was concerned about looking for jobs when the clerkship is over. I didn't get a job through 2L OCI (I worked at a government agency for my 2L summer), so I don't have anything lined up after the clerkship. Does anyone know of people who successfully found a job after an opportunity like this? I would not mind at all staying in the state where I'll be clerking.

Anonymous User

Re: Job after state clerkship

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:27 am

I would also be interested in hearing about this

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:57 am

A friend of mine was median at a TT and did a state trial court clerkship last year. During the clerkship, she managed to get a job at a midlaw firm that starts at around $75k. State clerkships are valuable if you're in your market because a lot of judges have pull with firms and can help you out. I mean, your chances of getting real BigLaw out of a state clerkship is very slim, but they're a pretty sure way of actually getting a legal job at a decent firm that pays decently. However, it really depends on the judge and the types of connections you can make during your clerkship.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:\Does anyone know of people who successfully found a job after an opportunity like this?

I clerk at a state court. Every law clerk at my court apparently finds a job, but some keep looking until the last minute. Most go to decent-paying small law or midlaw. I believe a few of my colleagues who left after a year started in the $80-90k range. One of my colleagues had multiple offers from these types of firms and an in-house gig. Several of my colleagues were hired on permanently as staff attorneys at the court.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:14 am

I am currently looking at Michigan appellate clerkships. Are the chances slim that you can clerk in Michigan and then get a midlaw job in a different state?

Also, have you heard of anyone getting a transactional job after a clerkship?

Thanks

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am currently looking at Michigan appellate clerkships. Are the chances slim that you can clerk in Michigan and then get a midlaw job in a different state?

Also, have you heard of anyone getting a transactional job after a clerkship?

I wouldn't know the answer to the first question, and "no" to the second (but that doesn't mean it's not possible). It would be helpful to look for former clerks on Google (usually "law clerk at X court" will be in a firm bio) and LinkedIn. You can help narrow the search by looking for particular judges' clerks because the judges' names will usually be in firm bios as well.

Return to “Legal Employment”