Oh Crap 28 Days Expired --- Stressing Out

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Oh Crap 28 Days Expired --- Stressing Out

Postby romothesavior » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:41 am

Oh man, this is terrible. I am so sorry to hear this OP. Really bad move on your part, but I hope it works out for you. Please keep us posted.

User avatar
MarkRenton
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:54 pm

Re: Oh Crap 28 Days Expired --- Stressing Out

Postby MarkRenton » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:46 pm

This thread should be stickied to the top as a warning to all future applicants about paying attention.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Oh Crap 28 Days Expired --- Stressing Out

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:49 pm

romothesavior wrote:Oh man, this is terrible. I am so sorry to hear this OP. Really bad move on your part, but I hope it works out for you. Please keep us posted.


+1 to all

Anonymous User
Posts: 273252
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Oh Crap 28 Days Expired --- Stressing Out

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:06 pm

MarkRenton wrote:This thread should be stickied to the top as a warning to all future applicants about paying attention.


.

User avatar
erico
Posts: 232
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:56 am

Re: Oh Crap 28 Days Expired --- Stressing Out

Postby erico » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:07 pm

MarkRenton wrote:This thread should be stickied to the top as a warning to all future applicants about paying attention.


Is this really necessary? I know it can only do good. But I mean, if you can't keep track of when your offer expires, I almost don't feel bad for you. I do but I don't. OP, I do hope you get the job.

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: Oh Crap 28 Days Expired --- Stressing Out

Postby sunynp » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:28 pm

I don't know. The partner would have called back sooner if they were happy to have OP. I think the firm may have to consider whether their reputation will take a hit in terms of future recruiting if they don't hire you. I'm not saying they won't hire you, but they are obviously resistant to the idea.

If they do hire you, you better be the most professional, organized and brilliant SA they have ever seen if you hope to get an offer.

Good luck though, I hope you get this job. At least you are still in the running!

Transferthrowaway
Posts: 608
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:40 am

Re: Oh Crap 28 Days Expired --- Stressing Out

Postby Transferthrowaway » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:30 pm

MarkRenton wrote:This thread should be stickied to the top as a warning to all future applicants about paying attention.

If we want to drive this lesson home, we really need J. Walter Weatherman

c3pO4
Posts: 835
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: Oh Crap 28 Days Expired --- Stressing Out

Postby c3pO4 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:31 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:
MarkRenton wrote:This thread should be stickied to the top as a warning to all future applicants about paying attention.

If we want to drive this lesson home, we really need J. Walter Weatherman


Queue thread derail. We know OP made a huge, albeit technical, mistake. No need to rub it in.

Curious to see what comes of this next week. It's kind of like all those random civpro cases where people lose on technicalities.

3L Student
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:09 pm

Re: Oh Crap 28 Days Expired --- Stressing Out

Postby 3L Student » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:25 pm

What happened????

wildhaggis
Posts: 196
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:47 pm

Re: Oh Crap 28 Days Expired --- Stressing Out

Postby wildhaggis » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:03 pm

3L Student wrote:What happened????

+1

I'm curious about this. Hope all worked out well, OP. It may have been a bad mistake, but I'd hate to see you miss out on your opportunity due to it.

BarCliff
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:57 pm

Re: Oh Crap 28 Days Expired --- Stressing Out

Postby BarCliff » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:54 am

It would be very ironic if the firm called him back a week later than they said that they would.

User avatar
omninode
Posts: 405
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:09 pm

Re: Oh Crap 28 Days Expired --- Stressing Out

Postby omninode » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:19 pm

Usually I am a very sympathetic person. But this is such a spectacular screw up, attributable only to OP's laziness and/or lack of concern for professionalism and responsibility, that I honestly hope the firm gives the job to someone more deserving.

There, I said it.

zomginternets
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: Oh Crap 28 Days Expired --- Stressing Out

Postby zomginternets » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:01 pm

omninode wrote:Usually I am a very sympathetic person. But this is such a spectacular screw up, attributable only to OP's laziness and/or lack of concern for professionalism and responsibility, that I honestly hope the firm gives the job to someone more deserving.

There, I said it.


Harsh dude. Everyone has messed up a deadline once in their life. Admittedly he should have really paid attention to this one, but I don't think this should be an auto ding.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Oh Crap 28 Days Expired --- Stressing Out

Postby Grizz » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had about 2-3 voicemails/emails from them, but they were all premised on whether or not had any questions. The offer was pretty was pretty straightforward and I didn't have any questions so I didn't reply.

For any 1L reading this thread now, ALWAYS keep in touch with the firm to let them know where you're at. A lot of times they'll be understanding and work with you around your timelines.

User avatar
California Babe
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:45 am

Re: Oh Crap 28 Days Expired --- Stressing Out

Postby California Babe » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:21 pm

zomginternets wrote:
omninode wrote:Usually I am a very sympathetic person. But this is such a spectacular screw up, attributable only to OP's laziness and/or lack of concern for professionalism and responsibility, that I honestly hope the firm gives the job to someone more deserving.

There, I said it.


Harsh dude. Everyone has messed up a deadline once in their life. Admittedly he should have really paid attention to this one, but I don't think this should be an auto ding.


It's not like attorneys ever have to deal with strict deadlines, right? If you can't meet a deadline that your job literally depends on, why would a firm trust you to meet other deadlines when you're working?

Machine Spirit
Posts: 172
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: Oh Crap 28 Days Expired --- Stressing Out

Postby Machine Spirit » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:27 pm

omninode wrote:Usually I am a very sympathetic person. But this is such a spectacular screw up, attributable only to OP's laziness and/or lack of concern for professionalism and responsibility, that I honestly hope the firm gives the job to someone more deserving.

There, I said it.


Agreed.

This wasn't some small deadline, this was literally a choice over one's entire career. That OP missed such a date either speaks to his gross apathy, or his complete flakiness. Regardless, neither trait is desirable for a firm.

If OP calls his firm and they think nothing of it, then congrats. If not, sorry, but no pity whatsoever. Thousands upon thousands of other capable students would have jumped at this opportunity.

sdcallaw
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:14 pm

Re: Oh Crap 28 Days Expired --- Stressing Out

Postby sdcallaw » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:30 pm

Grizz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I had about 2-3 voicemails/emails from them, but they were all premised on whether or not had any questions. The offer was pretty was pretty straightforward and I didn't have any questions so I didn't reply.

For any 1L reading this thread now, ALWAYS keep in touch with the firm to let them know where you're at. A lot of times they'll be understanding and work with you around your timelines.


+1. You should definitely keep in touch with the firm, even if you intend to make a decision within the timeline. You don't want to disappear for 3.5 weeks after the offer, then pop out of nowhere and accept. It's good to keep the enthusiasm up and stay on the radar. It's just good PR and good for your relationship with the firm, esp if you accept.

run26.2
Posts: 896
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:35 am

Re: Oh Crap 28 Days Expired --- Stressing Out

Postby run26.2 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:34 pm

California Babe wrote:
zomginternets wrote:
omninode wrote:Usually I am a very sympathetic person. But this is such a spectacular screw up, attributable only to OP's laziness and/or lack of concern for professionalism and responsibility, that I honestly hope the firm gives the job to someone more deserving.

There, I said it.


Harsh dude. Everyone has messed up a deadline once in their life. Admittedly he should have really paid attention to this one, but I don't think this should be an auto ding.


It's not like attorneys ever have to deal with strict deadlines, right? If you can't meet a deadline that your job literally depends on, why would a firm trust you to meet other deadlines when you're working?


I think this argument is weak. It's not like OP missed a filing deadline. If it were a filing, you would be working for weeks and have that deadline firmly implanted in your brain. Furthermore, you work in teams in law firms, so there are other people around reminding you of your deadlines. I think this is completely different. Yes, it was not the best form, and it was a mistake, but in light of OP's circumstances, I can understand it.

I agree with Grizz. Stay in contact with your firm because, it is a reputable firm, they are going to want you to make the right decision and can work to accommodate you while you weigh your options.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Oh Crap 28 Days Expired --- Stressing Out

Postby DoubleChecks » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:37 pm

I was under the impression the OP never even responded to the firm's follow-up voicemails about whether he had questions or not. I mean, if he got the offer and never communicated with them again, I think OP might be in a rough position. I do hope OP gets the job; I don't know him so no random e-hate...but it was a big deadline (I can understand messing it up -- it happens -- but I can also understand being punished for it; I don't get this country's obsession with assuming one should not suffer the consequences of even honest mistakes [coughentitledgenerationcough]). It says a lot about a person (responsibility, professionalism [big one from what I've seen], etc.) to have messed this up, and (this is only assuming he never bothered to even communicate again after getting the offer and 3 voicemails) his lack of interest in the firm would make me ding him if I were on the recruiting committee. From the firm's perspective, doesn't really help them out if they get someone who clearly isn't that happy (outside of at least being employed haha) at the firm...and if OP had other options, probably wouldn't make him feel that happy either. However, once again, as a random TLS poster, I hope it works out for you OP.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Oh Crap 28 Days Expired --- Stressing Out

Postby Renzo » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:40 pm

I'm not sure why all the hate for the OP all the sudden. Pretty much every post in this thread has acknowledged that OP screwed up big, but that doesn't preclude having a little empathy for him.

Do you all walk through the burn wards at hospitals, looking for people who negligently hurt themselves so you can have a good laugh?

User avatar
California Babe
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:45 am

Re: Oh Crap 28 Days Expired --- Stressing Out

Postby California Babe » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:44 pm

run26.2 wrote:
California Babe wrote:It's not like attorneys ever have to deal with strict deadlines, right? If you can't meet a deadline that your job literally depends on, why would a firm trust you to meet other deadlines when you're working?


I think this argument is weak. It's not like OP missed a filing deadline. If it were a filing, you would be working for weeks and have that deadline firmly implanted in your brain. Furthermore, you work in teams in law firms, so there are other people around reminding you of your deadlines. I think this is completely different. Yes, it was not the best form, and it was a mistake, but in light of OP's circumstances, I can understand it.

I agree with Grizz. Stay in contact with your firm because, it is a reputable firm, they are going to want you to make the right decision and can work to accommodate you while you weigh your options.


When I received offers from law firms, you can bet that the deadlines to accept were firmly implanted in my head. This is a decision that affects your entire career—how in the world could you possibly suggest that it is understandable for someone to forget that deadline? If you miss a deadline to accept a job, the assumed consequence is you don't get the job. If that leaves you unemployed after law school, how is that a less serious deadline than a filing deadline?

Your argument is essentially, "Law firms don't care if you can manage deadlines on your own, because other people will help you manage them." If a hiring attorney ever asks you how well you handle deadlines, I suggest you tell them you don't worry about deadlines because there is always a "team" to help you remember them.

UCLAtransfer
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Oh Crap 28 Days Expired --- Stressing Out

Postby UCLAtransfer » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:53 pm

run26.2 wrote:I think this argument is weak. It's not like OP missed a filing deadline. If it were a filing, you would be working for weeks and have that deadline firmly implanted in your brain. Furthermore, you work in teams in law firms, so there are other people around reminding you of your deadlines. I think this is completely different. Yes, it was not the best form, and it was a mistake, but in light of OP's circumstances, I can understand it.


Sorry man, but I don't think so. I have no idea your situation, but this response sounds like it's coming from someone who isn't actually out of law school yet. Once you are in practice, you have so many different memos/sections of briefs/random filings/letters to write all floating around at the same time. For a responsive pleading or a MSJ or something, absolutely you will have different people talking to you about it beforehand, etc., but you still need to know when you are going to start on it, and a lot of times you get assignments weeks and even months ahead of time, and have to budget your own time as to when you will start on it and work on it. But for the vast majority of things, you have a partner call you or shoot you an email and ask you to have something to them (memo/section of brief/draft of meet & confer letter) by X date, and that's the only reminder you are going to get. Plus if you are busy you are getting a bunch of these requests all the time. Keeping on top of dates and deadlines on your own is absolutely key to success, and if you can't keep track of a deadline as massive as OP's here when your entire career depends on it, I worry about your ability to succeed in this profession.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Oh Crap 28 Days Expired --- Stressing Out

Postby IAFG » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:05 pm

Funnily enough, I would now trust this guy to track deadlines better than anyone else.

run26.2
Posts: 896
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:35 am

Re: Oh Crap 28 Days Expired --- Stressing Out

Postby run26.2 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:08 pm

California Babe wrote:
run26.2 wrote:
California Babe wrote:It's not like attorneys ever have to deal with strict deadlines, right? If you can't meet a deadline that your job literally depends on, why would a firm trust you to meet other deadlines when you're working?


I think this argument is weak. It's not like OP missed a filing deadline. If it were a filing, you would be working for weeks and have that deadline firmly implanted in your brain. Furthermore, you work in teams in law firms, so there are other people around reminding you of your deadlines. I think this is completely different. Yes, it was not the best form, and it was a mistake, but in light of OP's circumstances, I can understand it.

I agree with Grizz. Stay in contact with your firm because, it is a reputable firm, they are going to want you to make the right decision and can work to accommodate you while you weigh your options.


When I received offers from law firms, you can bet that the deadlines to accept were firmly implanted in my head. This is a decision that affects your entire career—how in the world could you possibly suggest that it is understandable for someone to forget that deadline? If you miss a deadline to accept a job, the assumed consequence is you don't get the job. If that leaves you unemployed after law school, how is that a less serious deadline than a filing deadline?

Your argument is essentially, "Law firms don't care if you can manage deadlines on your own, because other people will help you manage them." If a hiring attorney ever asks you how well you handle deadlines, I suggest you tell them you don't worry about deadlines because there is always a "team" to help you remember them.

My argument is not about what law firms think about a person's ability to manage deadlines. It is simply that OP may have other mechanisms, e.g. interactions with other individuals, that helps him/her remember what those deadlines are. I agree that OP made a mistake, but I think it was a mistake that would not necessarily be reflected in a professional environment because he/she would use other mechanisms in the professional environment to deal with those deadlines.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Oh Crap 28 Days Expired --- Stressing Out

Postby IAFG » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:19 pm

California Babe wrote:When I received offers from law firms, you can bet that the deadlines to accept were firmly implanted in my head. This is a decision that affects your entire career—how in the world could you possibly suggest that it is understandable for someone to forget that deadline? If you miss a deadline to accept a job, the assumed consequence is you don't get the job. If that leaves you unemployed after law school, how is that a less serious deadline than a filing deadline?

Your argument is essentially, "Law firms don't care if you can manage deadlines on your own, because other people will help you manage them." If a hiring attorney ever asks you how well you handle deadlines, I suggest you tell them you don't worry about deadlines because there is always a "team" to help you remember them.

How many weeks into the semester did you get your first offer?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.