Informational Interview Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
SwampRat88

Bronze

Informational Interview

Post by SwampRat88 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:34 pm

Last edited by SwampRat88 on Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheFriendlyBarber

Bronze

Re: Informational Interview

Post by TheFriendlyBarber » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:31 am

SwampRat88 wrote:1L here. I have an informational interview scheduled for late next week, with a 3-man boutique law firm. I should bring a resume, right? Better get started on it, if so...
Yes, you should. A prudent man would also take a bundt cake with him.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:20 pm

TheFriendlyBarber wrote:
SwampRat88 wrote:1L here. I have an informational interview scheduled for late next week, with a 3-man boutique law firm. I should bring a resume, right? Better get started on it, if so...
I can't tell if that was facetious--seriously, a blunt cake?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
TheFriendlyBarber wrote:
Can we get an answer on this? Is this really appropriate?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:02 am

I'm going on record with my guess that the last three posters are the same. Mods, feel free to publicly announce the results of my wager.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
TheFriendlyBarber wrote:
Can we get an answer on this? Is this really appropriate?
You're damn right it's appropriate. You would be shunned if you didn't do it. Additionally, it is customary to bring approximately 4 pounds of cured meats to this sort of meeting.

TheFriendlyBarber

Bronze

Post by TheFriendlyBarber » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
TheFriendlyBarber wrote:
While I originally suggested taking a bundt cake with you, taking a blunt cake might prove itself an even better idea. Unless, of course, the firm in question is Gibson Dunn. Don't you dare stroll into GDC with a blunt cake. Ever.

AP-375

Bronze

Post by AP-375 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:46 am

I'm assuming this is a serious question. Bring a resume. Make it look good. Don't bust it out unless its asked for. Or, if you're smooth and confident, bust it out at the end if the mood feels right. Something like, "Hey, I'm not looking for anything at the moment(/I know you're not hiring right now), but I'd be happy to leave a copy of my resume for future reference, if you don't mind." But only if they really like you and you're sure there's chemistry.
There's no need to give them a resume in an informational interview. It turns it into a cheap date. Let the relationship grow naturally. The other person knows what you want. Eventually, you'll be able to give it to them and it won't be awkward.

(Editor's note: I kind of got carried away with the innuendo, but I think this is the patient and strategic way you have to approach it.)

NinerFan

Bronze

Post by NinerFan » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:48 am

AP-375 wrote:
I'm assuming this is a serious question. Bring a resume. Make it look good. Don't bust it out unless its asked for. Or, if you're smooth and confident, bust it out at the end if the mood feels right. Something like, "Hey, I'm not looking for anything at the moment(/I know you're not hiring right now), but I'd be happy to leave a copy of my resume for future reference, if you don't mind." But only if they really like you and you're sure there's chemistry.
There's no need to give them a resume in an informational interview. It turns it into a cheap date. Let the relationship grow naturally. The other person knows what you want. Eventually, you'll be able to give it to them and it won't be awkward.

(Editor's note: I kind of got carried away with the innuendo, but I think this is the patient and strategic way you have to approach it.)
Echo this. Let them pretend for awhile that you actually care about what they do and aren't just looking for a job. People like to feel important/admired.

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:30 pm

I did about 60 informational interviews over last summer. Several lawyers told me in their initial responses to schedule that this was NOT a job interview and that they could NOT help me get into their firm. I purposefully brought a pad of paper too small to have a resume in it just to avoid signaling that I was there only to sneak in for a job. Of the 60, 2-3 asked for my resume and were happy when I emailed it to them when I got home. No offers, but I wasn't a stellar candidate to begin with on GPA.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”