Question about lateraling

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Question about lateraling

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:57 pm

How likely is it to lateral from a foreign biglaw firm (not a foreign office of a US biglaw firm) to a US biglaw firm? If it's feasible, after how many years?

Thanks

lawschoolgrapedme

Re: Question about lateraling

Postby lawschoolgrapedme » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:48 pm

are you practicing US law at the foreign firm? Regardless, probably pretty unlikely, but that may be a matter of self-selection since that doesn't seem like a common path.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:12 pm

lawschoolgrapedme wrote:are you practicing US law at the foreign firm? Regardless, probably pretty unlikely, but that may be a matter of self-selection since that doesn't seem like a common path.

Working as a Foreign Legal Counsel

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:08 am

Bump....

Fresh US J.D. (passed NY bar) working at a foreign biglaw firm. No SA at biglaw in the US. How likely is it to lateral into NY biglaw? If possible, after 2-3 years?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:34 am

NO ONE has information about this???

zomginternets

Postby zomginternets » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:44 am

Did you work @ a satellite office of a US biglaw firm, or a non-US biglaw firm?

I'm just a 2L, but have researched this issue quite a bit, and here's my 2c:

My general intuition is that lateraling is about whether your experience in a particular area will benefit the firm. For international lateraling, the type of experience required tends to get very narrow--i.e. US Biglaw Firm needs to be looking for an associate with x-years of experience in y-type of law in Country Z. So if you've done M&A in Japan for 3 years, you need to find a US Biglaw Firm that needs a third year associate who has done M&A in Japan. Unfortunately, the likelihood of you having done that work, and the firm you lateral to needing someone with that type of experience, is pretty low, hence the difficulty in international lateraling. (NB: Being bilingual would be a huge plus in attempting to lateral.)

Return to “Legal Employment”