2L with Midlaw/Biglaw-ish SA taking questions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2L with Midlaw/Biglaw-ish SA taking questions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:51 pm

When I first came on here, I looked at the infamous bimodal curve and wondered how you could get the jobs that paid in the lower six figures and worked you less hours. By some combination of luck, opportunity meeting preparation, and good interviewing (but mostly luck), I ended up getting one.

Now I figure I will answer questions for those similarly curious. Take my opinions with a grain of salt, for they only reflect my experiences, and I really only had one screener (and then a callback of course) with this type of firm, but from what I hear they're fairly similar in their hiring MO.

So as to not out myself, I will only state that I am at a lower T14, and that the firm is a regional one in a secondary market with more than one but less than ten offices and somewhere between 100 and 300 attorneys. I'm not sure if it's NLJ250. And I don't know if you'd call it biglaw or midlaw. Probably somewhere in between given the definitions I've seen on this site.

Ask away.

Wholigan

Re: 2L with Midlaw/Biglaw-ish SA taking questions

Postby Wholigan » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:worked you less hours.

What do you mean by "less hours"?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:05 pm

As a 2L, how do you know if you'll really be working less hours? What is your basis for believing this?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:28 pm

Wholigan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:worked you less hours.

Made it a point to ask about this repeatedly after the associate who interviewed me at OCI mentioned work-life balance and his schedule.

By "less hours," I mean <2k billables (without a real solid floor), and a realistic 50-60 hour work week on average. Everyone I have asked about this at the firm indicated that the vast majority of associates are gone by 6pm. My impression is this is not the case at larger market-paying firms.

What do you mean by "less hours"?

IAFG wrote:As a 2L, how do you know if you'll really be working less hours? What is your basis for believing this?

The summer program is apparently designed to work you less than full-time associates get worked, closer to an 8-5 or 9-6 schedule. Obviously I can't comment on whether this is the reality yet, but I'll take their word for it.

I do think that part of this is that secondary markets have different workplace culture, so it's more than just the size of the firm IMHO.

Pato_09

Postby Pato_09 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:37 pm

I interviewed both in NYC and in a secondary market. Almost all the interviews I had with firms in the secondary market confirmed what the OP is saying. They basically worked from 8-6, and probably once in a while had to stay late.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:39 pm

Depends on the market/firm. I know several secondary market firms that claim they are more "lifestyle" firms, but have pretty bad sweatshop reps in reality.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:48 pm

This is exactly the path that I want to follow. Can you talk more about how you got this SA? Anything in your app that might've given you an advantage? Prior WE? Grades?

Really, any advice you can dish out on getting a job like this would be very helpful. (I'm trying to get back to my hometown/secondary market). Thanks.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:51 pm

keg411 wrote:Depends on the market/firm. I know several secondary market firms that claim they are more "lifestyle" firms, but have pretty bad sweatshop reps in reality.

I would really like to believe OP is right since I am headed to a similar firm but I maintain my skepticism...

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:55 pm

IAFG wrote:
keg411 wrote:Depends on the market/firm. I know several secondary market firms that claim they are more "lifestyle" firms, but have pretty bad sweatshop reps in reality.

I would really like to believe OP is right since I am headed to a similar firm but I maintain my skepticism...

Ask around. You can usually find out through word of mouth.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:55 pm

Besides market, I think practice group affects this quite a bit as well. I know for sure (or relatively certain at least) at a couple of firms (only those I have experience with) in TX, there are practice groups with definite 8-7 jobs almost every weekday out of the year. Rarely work weekends or stay late. Then (in the same firms), there are those in practice groups who get the random crazy all-nighters//really late nights with some up and downs. Generally, however, at least in the Houston market, all practice groups in the firms still seem way more chill/lax than NYC biglaw.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:05 pm

OP here...

keg411 wrote:
IAFG wrote:

Ask around. You can usually find out through word of mouth.

I think this is credited. It's fine to be naturally skeptical, but at the same time I doubt a good 3 or 4 people are all going to tell you the same story or say it with such clarity as "most people are gone by 6" and be bullshitting you about it. Especially if the firm has no trouble attracting talent and the SA classes are small. It's one thing to say "we have a good work life balance" and another thing to be given specifics like "I get in at 8 and leave by 6 and most associates run some variation of that."

DoubleChecks wrote:Besides market, I think practice group affects this quite a bit as well. I know for sure (or relatively certain at least) at a couple of firms (only those I have experience with) in TX, there are practice groups with definite 8-7 jobs almost every weekday out of the year. Rarely work weekends or stay late. Then (in the same firms), there are those in practice groups who get the random crazy all-nighters//really late nights with some up and downs. Generally, however, at least in the Houston market, all practice groups in the firms still seem way more chill/lax than NYC biglaw.

I have been told on more than one occasion that it's easier for litigation associates to be a little more efficient with their billables than transactional ones, but this may also depend on the firm. Then again, litigators are likely to have those few killer weeks of the year when they're working 8-11 prepping for a trial.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:Besides market, I think practice group affects this quite a bit as well. I know for sure (or relatively certain at least) at a couple of firms (only those I have experience with) in TX, there are practice groups with definite 8-7 jobs almost every weekday out of the year. Rarely work weekends or stay late. Then (in the same firms), there are those in practice groups who get the random crazy all-nighters//really late nights with some up and downs. Generally, however, at least in the Houston market, all practice groups in the firms still seem way more chill/lax than NYC biglaw.

I have been told on more than one occasion that it's easier for litigation associates to be a little more efficient with their billables than transactional ones, but this may also depend on the firm. Then again, litigators are likely to have those few killer weeks of the year when they're working 8-11 prepping for a trial.

Yes, I have heard this as well. Litigation's schedule tends to be more "consistent" in planning relative to corporate, where it can be really up and down depending on the timing of IPOs, etc. But in the TX market, there is also energy/O&G which at times is its own dept as well. Tax and environmental can be sweet gigs, too (hours-wise).

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:10 pm

THREAD
H
I S
S

relevant to my interests.

Return to “Legal Employment”