COA Clerkship -> Corporate Law? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

COA Clerkship -> Corporate Law?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:06 pm

Do firms do any recruiting of COA clerks for corporate positions? I will have SA experience at a good firm and I'm interested in clerking due to personal interests more than career benefits. However, I may be looking to switch markets and thus I'm curious if firms recruit COA clerks at all for corporate, or if it's basically litigation only?

hawkeye22

Bronze

Re: COA Clerkship -> Corporate Law?

Post by hawkeye22 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:Do firms do any recruiting of COA clerks for corporate positions? I will have SA experience at a good firm and I'm interested in clerking due to personal interests more than career benefits. However, I may be looking to switch markets and thus I'm curious if firms recruit COA clerks at all for corporate, or if it's basically litigation only?
COA is very prestigious and firms will recruit for corporate as well as lit. Lit is obviously more apposite, but that hardly means that COA forecloses you from corporate work.

the L.Rev. word

New

Post by the L.Rev. word » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:15 pm

I'm interested in hearing thoughts about this too. What about a district court? Less prestigious, but would corporate still recruit?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:18 am

Sorry to revive this but I'm still interested in hearing people's thoughts. I guess one concern I have is that firms will think I'm planning to try to jump to academia after a few years, even though that is not my intention.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:43 pm

Any thoughts on what is required to get a COA clerkship these days from CCN? Top 10% + LR or bust?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:27 pm

G. T. L. Rev. wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any thoughts on what is required to get a COA clerkship these days from CCN? Top 10% + LR or bust?
10% + LR is neither sufficient nor necessary.
Assuming average recs, what qualifications give someone a reasonable shot at a non-feeder COA? I've heard top 10% + LR for CCN. People with those qualifications might get nothing, and people with worse qualification might get a clerkship. But I think that's obvious, less obvious is where to draw the line between likely and not likely.

anongoodnurse

New

Post by anongoodnurse » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:49 am

Assuming average recs
But isn't that the rub? In other words, if you are in the back half of the "top 10%" at CCN (and especially Columbia and NYU, with their bigger classes), the difference between "I had him and he did really well, I think" recs and profs who are calling judges and swearing you're the smartest kid they ever had is the difference between two flyover district court interviews in Indiana and Arkansas that you're a long shot to get, and a half dozen interviews on the 2nd or 7th Circuits.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”