The Dreaded Martindale

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

The Dreaded Martindale

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:42 pm

What a disaster of a website. Anyone have any suggestions for how to get to smaller firms?

lawfirmrecruiter

Re: The Dreaded Martindale

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What a disaster of a website. Anyone have any suggestions for how to get to smaller firms?

Here are two options:

1. NALP Directory of Employers - The Advanced Search lets you select office or firm size
2. Local Bar Association online membership directories - most all firms will have a listing of some sort there

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:49 pm

Martindale is what OCS suggests after NALP fails. NALP is awesome, but after all of NALP has dinged you...

Local bar is something I hadn't thought of, thanks!

(btw, mods, this is for a friend. i swear.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:49 pm

There is a limiter on the left side that allows you to narrow by number of attorneys.

On a related note: I so hate Martindale. My CSO seems to use that as an answer to every question about locating firms and alumni. All questions about anything related to public interest are answered with "pslawnet." All questions about public service are answered with "Honors Handbook." Is that just my school? I'm starting to get the feeling that our CSO could be replaced by hyperlinks. Ok, I'm over it now. I apologize for hijacking your thread.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:There is a limiter on the left side that allows you to narrow by number of attorneys.

On a related note: I so hate Martindale. My CSO seems to use that as an answer to every question about locating firms and alumni. All questions about anything related to public interest are answered with "pslawnet." All questions about public service are answered with "Honors Handbook." Is that just my school? I'm starting to get the feeling that our CSO could be replaced by hyperlinks. Ok, I'm over it now. I apologize for hijacking your thread.

For firms my CSO has a couple more links, but all inquiries about government are sent to the Honors Handbook. And what really sucks is how many good jobs the Handbook misses. I got my summer job, paid, with a major agency that complained no one ever applied to it because it didn't advertise. I also got called the week before I started there from another agency's OGC asking if I could start because they had five paid internships that no one else had applied to and they were desperate. Think outside the box and work the phone if you really want to hit gold.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:33 am

Where and how did you find those? Or could you give me a hint where to start?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:44 pm

+ 1 please

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:46 pm

Martindale is really not that bad if you use it properly.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:23 pm

romothesavior wrote:Martindale is really not that bad if you use it properly.

Elaborate...

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Elaborate...

Like, what is your issue with it? You search by city, narrow by firm size, select a firm, and then look at the firm's website. Not that hard??

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:09 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Elaborate...

Like, what is your issue with it? You search by city, narrow by firm size, select a firm, and then look at the firm's website. Not that hard??

I agree, its not so bad. The only thing I don't like is that I havent found a way to limit by office size, just firm size. So if you do NYC 25-40. You may get a firm with really 2 NYC attorneys, and 25 um wherever attorneys. Thats annoying.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Elaborate...

I agree, its not so bad. The only thing I don't like is that I havent found a way to limit by office size, just firm size. So if you do NYC 25-40. You may get a firm with really 2 NYC attorneys, and 25 um wherever attorneys. Thats annoying.

I agree, it is annoying. That is why for smaller firms, I only looked at the ones that had (Main Office) in bold next to their city.

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:There is a limiter on the left side that allows you to narrow by number of attorneys.

Our CSO is the same way. I don't know how many times I've hear about these 3 sources since 1L started.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:15 pm

It's just not nearly as useful as NALP (or as user friendly). You have no idea which firms have EVER taken a summer, have any interest in taking a summer, pay their summers... I mean obviously, NALPDirectory is directed at job seekers and Martindale isn't, but for someone who already feels overwhelmed by the job search (e.g. people who struck out) it would be nice if there were an easier way to hustle through small firms.

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:52 pm

Just use Google and search for "DUI attorney, [your location]", "tax attorney, [your location]", etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:55 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:Just use Google and search for "DUI attorney, [your location]", "tax attorney, [your location]", etc.

How on earth would that be more helpful than Martindale?!

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Julio_El_Chavo wrote:Just use Google and search for "DUI attorney, [your location]", "tax attorney, [your location]", etc.

How on earth would that be more helpful than Martindale?!

Easier to use?

deebs

Postby deebs » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:13 pm

Use it to find alums at firms you haven't heard of (non-nalp most likely). Get coffee with them and if they think anyone else would be good to talk to - get 4 names of more people at 4 firms you haven't heard of. Repeat.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:40 am

For finding a job on Martindale with non-law firm companies, do most of those companies that they list offer summer employment or do you just have to e-mail them 1 by 1 and ask?

Return to “Legal Employment”