WE/References Question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273560
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

WE/References Question

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:20 pm

Here's my problem: I'm a 1L. I graduated from UW-Madison in May 2010. From 2008 to October 2010, I worked at an 501(c)(4) organization, eventually working my way up to Deputy Development Director shortly after graduation.

Problem? I left in early October 2010, and the employer expected me to stay on until the end of the political campaign in November. I never really told the employer why I left, but I was tired of working 24/7 and wanted some time off to work-part time, travel, and in late October I had some commitments I really did not want to miss out on. After I left, the employer mentioned that I did good work, but couldn't give me a good reference because I left prematurely. I have other WE, but I really do not want to leave the Deputy Dev Director position out of my resume, as it's the best WE I've got.

What should I do?

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: WE/References Question

Postby IAFG » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:24 pm

You can't just leave it off your resume. There would be a giant gap. Only a few firms check.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273560
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: WE/References Question

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:29 pm

IAFG wrote:You can't just leave it off your resume. There would be a giant gap. Only a few firms check.


So leave it on the resume, but don't submit them as a reference?

And if an employer asks why they're not on my list of references, should I frankly tell them that I did it for the aforementioned reasons?

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: WE/References Question

Postby IAFG » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:31 pm

Not one employer asked me for a list of references, and I only know of one firm that does.

c3pO4
Posts: 835
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: WE/References Question

Postby c3pO4 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:33 pm

Leave it on, get one of your coworkers to be a reference for that job. I was in the same situation. Did steller work but didn't give two weeks notice so my boss refused to be a reference. It was my first job. I wish I had given notice, but oh well. I'll definitely not leave a kid out to dry like that if the tables are ever turned, but whatever. You must have friends from that job that will be good references for you. They don't have to be a manager.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273560
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: WE/References Question

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:38 pm

c3pO4 wrote:Leave it on, get one of your coworkers to be a reference for that job. I was in the same situation. Did steller work but didn't give two weeks notice so my boss refused to be a reference. It was my first job. I wish I had given notice, but oh well. I'll definitely not leave a kid out to dry like that if the tables are ever turned, but whatever. You must have friends from that job that will be good references for you. They don't have to be a manager.


I'll think about it, but off the top of my head I'm not sure I can find someone. I was on the low end of the core management team, and they were all pretty upset that I bailed on them a month before the campaign ended.

Anyway, the consensus seems to be that I should leave it on my resume. Any suggestions of what I should say if a potential employer asks why I did not include them on my list of references?

c3pO4
Posts: 835
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: WE/References Question

Postby c3pO4 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
c3pO4 wrote:Leave it on, get one of your coworkers to be a reference for that job. I was in the same situation. Did steller work but didn't give two weeks notice so my boss refused to be a reference. It was my first job. I wish I had given notice, but oh well. I'll definitely not leave a kid out to dry like that if the tables are ever turned, but whatever. You must have friends from that job that will be good references for you. They don't have to be a manager.


I'll think about it, but off the top of my head I'm not sure I can find someone. I was on the low end of the core management team, and they were all pretty upset that I bailed on them a month before the campaign ended.

Anyway, the consensus seems to be that I should leave it on my resume. Any suggestions of what I should say if a potential employer asks why I did not include them on my list of references?


It doesn't have to be a manager. You seriously weren't even friends with any secretaries or other people lower on the hierarchy? How about a client you worked with. IDK, only managers should care that you left early. If it was a foot soldier in the organization, they shouldn't give a crap at all. Unless you were a mean manager :).

lawfirmrecruiter
Posts: 622
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Re: WE/References Question

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Here's my problem: I'm a 1L. I graduated from UW-Madison in May 2010. From 2008 to October 2010, I worked at an 501(c)(4) organization, eventually working my way up to Deputy Development Director shortly after graduation.

Problem? I left in early October 2010, and the employer expected me to stay on until the end of the political campaign in November. I never really told the employer why I left, but I was tired of working 24/7 and wanted some time off to work-part time, travel, and in late October I had some commitments I really did not want to miss out on. After I left, the employer mentioned that I did good work, but couldn't give me a good reference because I left prematurely. I have other WE, but I really do not want to leave the Deputy Dev Director position out of my resume, as it's the best WE I've got.

What should I do?


Leave it on your resume. When you get to the reference/background check stage, firms will generally just verify employment through an agency and they will only verify dates you list. They are not allowed to give out any additional information.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.