3L OCI/Employment Search Results:

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273345
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI/Employment Search Results:

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:05 pm

sadsituationJD wrote:You unemployed 3 L's should start registering with the temp agencies like Update, Lexolution, HireCounsel, Epiq, etc. These agencies are the "middlemen" who staff doc review projects for the Biglaw firms.

Most of these e-discovery projects have left NYC and other major cities due to high office rent and the fact that the temps have to be paid a bit more. But there is work if you're willing to go to say GA:

--LinkRemoved--

If you get a bit of doc review experience (2 to 4 years under yer belt nowadays), you can get NYC gigs which pay $29 an hour:

--LinkRemoved--


Of course, there are no paid health benefits/promotions/skill building or anything like that, but at least it's a place to hang for awhile until you decide on an alternative career to law, which BTW is still shedding jobs at a steady clip:

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2012/04/06/leg ... ort-march/


We're not going to be licensed anywhere until November at the earliest. Why would anyone throw in the towel now?

sadsituationJD
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:33 pm

Re: 3L OCI/Employment Search Results:

Postby sadsituationJD » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:01 pm

We're not going to be licensed anywhere until November at the earliest. Why would anyone throw in the towel now?


What's a law license got to do with anything? The bar exam/license "shtick" is a complete joke- the exam is so watered-down and easy that it's akin to fogging up a mirror or passing a test on how to operate a light switch. Pass rates for first time takers in most states are north of 90%, and over 3/4 of the kids from even TTTT schools get thru it w/ no problem. It is certainly nothing special to be an admitted attorney, that's for sure. In my list of life "accomplishments", I personally rank passing the NY bar up there with getting my driver's license or turning age 21.

Hell, I even got a gig in 2008 grading the damn things for $10 a blue book. I used to read them on the subway after work and spent all of 30 seconds a book looking for "buzzwords" and such, which is really all the damn thing is. If you score over a certain # on the MBE, your essays don't even get read, and that's a fact.

Feature this: The reality, whether you choose to accept it now, in a years time, or perhaps never, is that a lottery drawing was held. Your ticket did not have the winning numbers. No matter how many times you compare your ticket to the winning digits, they simply will not match up. The best you can do now is limp along in temp gigs/doc review or some dreadful shitlaw office for 40 K a year until you come up with Plan B for a career. By and large, law is a "career" of yesterday, a dinosaur that has/is being replaced by online form shops, coder-bots, and other cheaper and more efficient alternatives.

Will Legalzoom and other google-doc type forms replace lawyers? No. But will they serve as a decent alternative for those who truly do need lawyers but lack the ability to pay? In most cases, yes. As I've said multiple times, law students have a terrible habit of confusing the "need" for legal services with the real query, which is "need+ability to pay."

Case in point- I was referred a potential client 2 days ago who was recently fired from a large chain drugstore in NYC. There were allegations at the time of his termination that he made physical & verbal threats to his boss. He got a call on Monday from an NYPD detective who wanted him to come into the station for questioning on the following 'volunatry' basis: Come in or I'll get an arrest warrant sworn out for the incident, which apparently has a supporting witness to same (probably another employee).

I told him I'd rep. him during the police interview for a $200 fee, and take a look at what evidence there really was here. After 20 minutes of begging me to do it for free, he said he was going to get the $$$ from his aunt.

He called me the next day and said he had the $$$ and to meet him outside the precinct at 3 pm. I did, and I asked for the $$$ upfront. He hemmed and hawed, said he was gonna stop by his aunts as soon as we got done, etc. I told him "no deal- you get the money now or you go up there alone." He got very angry and then threatened ME, then wandered off to "hit an ATM."

20 mins later and he never came back, so I bounced. This, kids, is the reality of small law practice circa 2012. Godspeed.

User avatar
SilverE2
Posts: 931
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:04 pm

Re: 3L OCI/Employment Search Results:

Postby SilverE2 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:04 pm

sadsituationJD wrote:
We're not going to be licensed anywhere until November at the earliest. Why would anyone throw in the towel now?


What's a law license got to do with anything? The bar exam/license "shtick" is a complete joke- the exam is so watered-down and easy that it's akin to fogging up a mirror or passing a test on how to operate a light switch. Pass rates for first time takers in most states are north of 90%, and over 3/4 of the kids from even TTTT schools get thru it w/ no problem. It is certainly nothing special to be an admitted attorney, that's for sure. In my list of life "accomplishments", I personally rank passing the NY bar up there with getting my driver's license or turning age 21.

Hell, I even got a gig in 2008 grading the damn things for $10 a blue book. I used to read them on the subway after work and spent all of 30 seconds a book looking for "buzzwords" and such, which is really all the damn thing is. If you score over a certain # on the MBE, your essays don't even get read, and that's a fact.

Feature this: The reality, whether you choose to accept it now, in a years time, or perhaps never, is that a lottery drawing was held. Your ticket did not have the winning numbers. No matter how many times you compare your ticket to the winning digits, they simply will not match up. The best you can do now is limp along in temp gigs/doc review or some dreadful shitlaw office for 40 K a year until you come up with Plan B for a career. By and large, law is a "career" of yesterday, a dinosaur that has/is being replaced by online form shops, coder-bots, and other cheaper and more efficient alternatives.

Will Legalzoom and other google-doc type forms replace lawyers? No. But will they serve as a decent alternative for those who truly do need lawyers but lack the ability to pay? In most cases, yes. As I've said multiple times, law students have a terrible habit of confusing the "need" for legal services with the real query, which is "need+ability to pay."

Case in point- I was referred a potential client 2 days ago who was recently fired from a large chain drugstore in NYC. There were allegations at the time of his termination that he made physical & verbal threats to his boss. He got a call on Monday from an NYPD detective who wanted him to come into the station for questioning on the following 'volunatry' basis: Come in or I'll get an arrest warrant sworn out for the incident, which apparently has a supporting witness to same (probably another employee).

I told him I'd rep. him during the police interview for a $200 fee, and take a look at what evidence there really was here. After 20 minutes of begging me to do it for free, he said he was going to get the $$$ from his aunt.

He called me the next day and said he had the $$$ and to meet him outside the precinct at 3 pm. I did, and I asked for the $$$ upfront. He hemmed and hawed, said he was gonna stop by his aunts as soon as we got done, etc. I told him "no deal- you get the money now or you go up there alone." He got very angry and then threatened ME, then wandered off to "hit an ATM."

20 mins later and he never came back, so I bounced. This, kids, is the reality of small law practice circa 2012. Godspeed.


This kind of shit is NOT what this thread is about.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273345
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI/Employment Search Results:

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:12 pm

SilverE2 wrote:
sadsituationJD wrote:
We're not going to be licensed anywhere until November at the earliest. Why would anyone throw in the towel now?


What's a law license got to do with anything? The bar exam/license "shtick" is a complete joke- the exam is so watered-down and easy that it's akin to fogging up a mirror or passing a test on how to operate a light switch. Pass rates for first time takers in most states are north of 90%, and over 3/4 of the kids from even TTTT schools get thru it w/ no problem. It is certainly nothing special to be an admitted attorney, that's for sure. In my list of life "accomplishments", I personally rank passing the NY bar up there with getting my driver's license or turning age 21.

Hell, I even got a gig in 2008 grading the damn things for $10 a blue book. I used to read them on the subway after work and spent all of 30 seconds a book looking for "buzzwords" and such, which is really all the damn thing is. If you score over a certain # on the MBE, your essays don't even get read, and that's a fact.

Feature this: The reality, whether you choose to accept it now, in a years time, or perhaps never, is that a lottery drawing was held. Your ticket did not have the winning numbers. No matter how many times you compare your ticket to the winning digits, they simply will not match up. The best you can do now is limp along in temp gigs/doc review or some dreadful shitlaw office for 40 K a year until you come up with Plan B for a career. By and large, law is a "career" of yesterday, a dinosaur that has/is being replaced by online form shops, coder-bots, and other cheaper and more efficient alternatives.

Will Legalzoom and other google-doc type forms replace lawyers? No. But will they serve as a decent alternative for those who truly do need lawyers but lack the ability to pay? In most cases, yes. As I've said multiple times, law students have a terrible habit of confusing the "need" for legal services with the real query, which is "need+ability to pay."

Case in point- I was referred a potential client 2 days ago who was recently fired from a large chain drugstore in NYC. There were allegations at the time of his termination that he made physical & verbal threats to his boss. He got a call on Monday from an NYPD detective who wanted him to come into the station for questioning on the following 'volunatry' basis: Come in or I'll get an arrest warrant sworn out for the incident, which apparently has a supporting witness to same (probably another employee).

I told him I'd rep. him during the police interview for a $200 fee, and take a look at what evidence there really was here. After 20 minutes of begging me to do it for free, he said he was going to get the $$$ from his aunt.

He called me the next day and said he had the $$$ and to meet him outside the precinct at 3 pm. I did, and I asked for the $$$ upfront. He hemmed and hawed, said he was gonna stop by his aunts as soon as we got done, etc. I told him "no deal- you get the money now or you go up there alone." He got very angry and then threatened ME, then wandered off to "hit an ATM."

20 mins later and he never came back, so I bounced. This, kids, is the reality of small law practice circa 2012. Godspeed.


This kind of shit is NOT what this thread is about.

+1, thanks. I'm the anon who revived the thread. Anyone have advice generally (or in response to the 5 questions on the previous page) about "trading up" firms after 2L summer?

sadsituationJD
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:33 pm

Re: 3L OCI/Employment Search Results:

Postby sadsituationJD » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:42 pm

This kind of shit is NOT what this thread is about.


ROTFL. This entire website is not part of the "reality-based community." Better sign up for those doc review gigs before the robots take what's left:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/05/scien ... wanted=all

Love this quote from the story:

Quantifying the employment impact of these new technologies is difficult. Mike Lynch, the founder of Autonomy, is convinced that “legal is a sector that will likely employ fewer, not more, people in the U.S. in the future.” He estimated that the shift from manual document discovery to e-discovery would lead to a manpower reduction in which one lawyer would suffice for work that once required 500 and that the newest generation of software, which can detect duplicates and find clusters of important documents on a particular topic, could cut the head count by another 50 percent.


BTW your pals over at the Flat Earth Society are looking for you, better head over there....

BTW2- the gang at JDUnderground (who are all admitted attorneys for the most part) find this thread especially hilarious:

http://jdunderground.com/all/thread.php?threadId=25946

How many times we tried to warn you kids, but you just wouldn't goddamned listen. As Dylan sang in Like a Rolling Stone:

"Now you don't talk so loud,
Now you don't seem so proud,
About having to be scrounging
Your next meal

How does it feel?
Oooh how does it feel?"

Anonymous User
Posts: 273345
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI/Employment Search Results:

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:50 pm

sadsituationJD wrote:
This kind of shit is NOT what this thread is about.


ROTFL. This entire website is not part of the "reality-based community." Better sign up for those doc review gigs before the robots take what's left:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/05/scien ... wanted=all

Love this quote from the story:

Quantifying the employment impact of these new technologies is difficult. Mike Lynch, the founder of Autonomy, is convinced that “legal is a sector that will likely employ fewer, not more, people in the U.S. in the future.” He estimated that the shift from manual document discovery to e-discovery would lead to a manpower reduction in which one lawyer would suffice for work that once required 500 and that the newest generation of software, which can detect duplicates and find clusters of important documents on a particular topic, could cut the head count by another 50 percent.


BTW your pals over at the Flat Earth Society are looking for you, better head over there....

BTW2- the gang at JDUnderground (who are all admitted attorneys for the most part) find this thread especially hilarious:

http://jdunderground.com/all/thread.php?threadId=25946

How many times we tried to warn you kids, but you just wouldn't goddamned listen. As Dylan sang in Like a Rolling Stone:

"Now you don't talk so loud,
Now you don't seem so proud,
About having to be scrounging
Your next meal

How does it feel?
Oooh how does it feel?"


That's because it is hilarious. I've started to lose sympathy for folks sticking their heads in the ground on this.

User avatar
rbgrocio
Posts: 560
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:58 pm

Re: 3L OCI/Employment Search Results:

Postby rbgrocio » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:School: CCN
Market(s): NYC
Approximate class rank: Median after 1L, Top 1/3 after 2L
Law review: Secondary Journal
Work experience: 0
IP background: 0
Summer Associate Position? No, worked state gov.
Offered? No
Anything else that might have an impact? (diversity, etc. or whatever, really): no
Screening Interviews: 12 at OCI, 2 after, 0 from mailings
Mass mails: 50+ semi-targeted mass mails (generic cover letter with firm name/info mixed in
Callbacks received: 3, (1 V40 from OCI, 1 V40 from resume drop, 1 V10 from networking)
Offers: 2 Rejections, 1 silence for about 2 months.
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback?: About 1/2 of my mass mails
Clerkship Interview: 50+ apps, no interviews
Other: Just awful. Luckily I had 12 3L OCI screeners because I found out later a few firms came to 3L OCI and didn't call anyone back, a few others were only looking for people with 2L SA offers. Starting to lose hope for that biglaw job I came to law school to get.



Op here.. What do you think the silence means? I had the same thing happen to me after a callback.. 2 months of silence.



Follow up with the people who have not rejected you. I followed up every month for four months and ended up getting the job I wanted.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273345
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI/Employment Search Results:

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:School: T10
Market(s): NYC
Approximate class rank: Top 20-25%
Journal: No.
Work experience: Yes.
IP background: No.
Summer Associate Position? Yes (NYC V50).
Offered? Yes.
Anything else that might have an impact? (diversity, etc. or whatever, really): No.
Screening Interviews: 1
Mass mails: Sent ~10 mass mails targeting firms in NYC with the specific practice area that I'm interested in (my summer firm did not have this specific practice area). I also reached out to alumni at the firm I was really interested in (the one where I received/accepted an offer) that were recommended by friends who summered at the firm.
Callbacks received: 1 V10, 1 V15 (received callback after accepting the V10 offer, did not attend)
Offers: 1 (V10)
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback?: Dings from 6, no response from 2.


Thanks for sharing your info. I am in a similar situation in almost all respects coming into this summer, and had a few questions:

1) Did you do any Symplicity/3L OCI interviews at all or do everything through mass mailing?

2) What was the timing like w/r/t getting your 2L summer offer and then interviewing at other places? When you received the offer at the end of the summer did you say, "I'd like to think about it"? Is there any risk at all of the firm rescinding their offer if you don't accept it on the spot and ask for a little more time?

3) Did the firms you were interviewing with want recs from your summer firm? This could raise similar concerns as Question 2...

4) When you say top 20-25%, you're basing that off the 1L curve still, right?

5) Any general words of wisdom? (Anyone w/ a success story feel free to chime in here)

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273345
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI/Employment Search Results:

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:50 pm

rbgrocio wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:School: CCN
Market(s): NYC
Approximate class rank: Median after 1L, Top 1/3 after 2L
Law review: Secondary Journal
Work experience: 0
IP background: 0
Summer Associate Position? No, worked state gov.
Offered? No
Anything else that might have an impact? (diversity, etc. or whatever, really): no
Screening Interviews: 12 at OCI, 2 after, 0 from mailings
Mass mails: 50+ semi-targeted mass mails (generic cover letter with firm name/info mixed in
Callbacks received: 3, (1 V40 from OCI, 1 V40 from resume drop, 1 V10 from networking)
Offers: 2 Rejections, 1 silence for about 2 months.
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback?: About 1/2 of my mass mails
Clerkship Interview: 50+ apps, no interviews
Other: Just awful. Luckily I had 12 3L OCI screeners because I found out later a few firms came to 3L OCI and didn't call anyone back, a few others were only looking for people with 2L SA offers. Starting to lose hope for that biglaw job I came to law school to get.



Op here.. What do you think the silence means? I had the same thing happen to me after a callback.. 2 months of silence.



Follow up with the people who have not rejected you. I followed up every month for four months and ended up getting the job I wanted.


Actually they lost/didn't send my rejection letter (third time this has happened). But I have a related issue.

I had a callback at a market paying firm hiring for a specific group in March. They called me two weeks later (I was about to flip out with joy when I saw that unlisted number with area code) and told me they did not have anything in that office but were hiring for another office in the same group. They told me someone from that office would be in touch. It's been about three weeks and I've yet to hear from the office. Should I call the office I interviewed with and ask what's up?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273345
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI/Employment Search Results:

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:54 pm

Updated PANIC VERSION

School: CCN
Market(s): NYC
Approximate class rank: Median after 1L, Top 1/3 after 2L+ 1 semester 3L
Law review: Secondary Journal
Work experience: 0
IP background: 0
Summer Associate Position? No, worked state gov.
Offered? No
Anything else that might have an impact? (diversity, etc. or whatever, really): no
Screening Interviews: 12 at OCI, 6 after, 0 from mailings
Mass mails: 50+ semi-targeted mass mails (generic cover letter with firm name/info mixed in
Callbacks received: 7. 1 V40 from OCI, 2 V40 from resume drop, 1 V10 from networking. Also a state court clerkship interview, an interview with a smaller plaintiff's firm, and a compliance department of a bank.
Offers: 3 Rejections. 3 pending.
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback?: About 1/2 of my mass mails
Clerkship Interview: 50+ apps, one interview with a state court
Other: Just awful. Luckily I had 12 3L OCI screeners because I found out later a few firms came to 3L OCI and didn't call anyone back, a few others were only looking for people with 2L SA offers. Starting to lose hope for that biglaw job I came to law school to get. The emails are starting to come around for the school funded fellowships. What does it take to get a goddamn offer?

LawIdiot86
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: 3L OCI/Employment Search Results:

Postby LawIdiot86 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Updated PANIC VERSION

School: CCN
Market(s): NYC
Approximate class rank: Median after 1L, Top 1/3 after 2L+ 1 semester 3L
Law review: Secondary Journal
Work experience: 0
IP background: 0
Summer Associate Position? No, worked state gov.
Offered? No
Anything else that might have an impact? (diversity, etc. or whatever, really): no
Screening Interviews: 12 at OCI, 6 after, 0 from mailings
Mass mails: 50+ semi-targeted mass mails (generic cover letter with firm name/info mixed in
Callbacks received: 7. 1 V40 from OCI, 2 V40 from resume drop, 1 V10 from networking. Also a state court clerkship interview, an interview with a smaller plaintiff's firm, and a compliance department of a bank.
Offers: 3 Rejections. 3 pending.
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback?: About 1/2 of my mass mails
Clerkship Interview: 50+ apps, one interview with a state court
Other: Just awful. Luckily I had 12 3L OCI screeners because I found out later a few firms came to 3L OCI and didn't call anyone back, a few others were only looking for people with 2L SA offers. Starting to lose hope for that biglaw job I came to law school to get. The emails are starting to come around for the school funded fellowships. What does it take to get a goddamn offer?


You sent out only 50 mass mails as a 3L? And nothing to government hiring? And nothing of your school's Simplicity postings?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273345
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI/Employment Search Results:

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:52 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Updated PANIC VERSION

School: CCN
Market(s): NYC
Approximate class rank: Median after 1L, Top 1/3 after 2L+ 1 semester 3L
Law review: Secondary Journal
Work experience: 0
IP background: 0
Summer Associate Position? No, worked state gov.
Offered? No
Anything else that might have an impact? (diversity, etc. or whatever, really): no
Screening Interviews: 12 at OCI, 6 after, 0 from mailings
Mass mails: 50+ semi-targeted mass mails (generic cover letter with firm name/info mixed in
Callbacks received: 7. 1 V40 from OCI, 2 V40 from resume drop, 1 V10 from networking. Also a state court clerkship interview, an interview with a smaller plaintiff's firm, and a compliance department of a bank.
Offers: 3 Rejections. 3 pending.
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback?: About 1/2 of my mass mails
Clerkship Interview: 50+ apps, one interview with a state court
Other: Just awful. Luckily I had 12 3L OCI screeners because I found out later a few firms came to 3L OCI and didn't call anyone back, a few others were only looking for people with 2L SA offers. Starting to lose hope for that biglaw job I came to law school to get. The emails are starting to come around for the school funded fellowships. What does it take to get a goddamn offer?


You sent out only 50 mass mails as a 3L? And nothing to government hiring? And nothing of your school's Simplicity postings?


Applied to every fed gov honors job, state and city level. Am not really counting those that go into the Symplicity black hole. I would say at my CCN there have been a handful (say 6-10) of market paying firm jobs that have been posted on Symplicity or that the CSO has "secretly" sent around.

LawIdiot86
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: 3L OCI/Employment Search Results:

Postby LawIdiot86 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Updated PANIC VERSION

School: CCN
Market(s): NYC
Approximate class rank: Median after 1L, Top 1/3 after 2L+ 1 semester 3L
Law review: Secondary Journal
Work experience: 0
IP background: 0
Summer Associate Position? No, worked state gov.
Offered? No
Anything else that might have an impact? (diversity, etc. or whatever, really): no
Screening Interviews: 12 at OCI, 6 after, 0 from mailings
Mass mails: 50+ semi-targeted mass mails (generic cover letter with firm name/info mixed in
Callbacks received: 7. 1 V40 from OCI, 2 V40 from resume drop, 1 V10 from networking. Also a state court clerkship interview, an interview with a smaller plaintiff's firm, and a compliance department of a bank.
Offers: 3 Rejections. 3 pending.
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback?: About 1/2 of my mass mails
Clerkship Interview: 50+ apps, one interview with a state court
Other: Just awful. Luckily I had 12 3L OCI screeners because I found out later a few firms came to 3L OCI and didn't call anyone back, a few others were only looking for people with 2L SA offers. Starting to lose hope for that biglaw job I came to law school to get. The emails are starting to come around for the school funded fellowships. What does it take to get a goddamn offer?


You sent out only 50 mass mails as a 3L? And nothing to government hiring? And nothing of your school's Simplicity postings?


Applied to every fed gov honors job, state and city level. Am not really counting those that go into the Symplicity black hole. I would say at my CCN there have been a handful (say 6-10) of market paying firm jobs that have been posted on Symplicity or that the CSO has "secretly" sent around.


It's probably too late now (until after the bar), but pulling up the Leadership Directories and the Simplicity Employers page and mass mailing every firm with more than 10 lawyers in NY or Chi would be the best thing to do. Or looking outside law altogether if you are willing. The school funded fellowship should tide you over until after the bar.

User avatar
rbgrocio
Posts: 560
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:58 pm

Re: 3L OCI/Employment Search Results:

Postby rbgrocio » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:School: CCN
Market(s): NYC
Approximate class rank: Median after 1L, Top 1/3 after 2L
Law review: Secondary Journal
Work experience: 0
IP background: 0
Summer Associate Position? No, worked state gov.
Offered? No
Anything else that might have an impact? (diversity, etc. or whatever, really): no
Screening Interviews: 12 at OCI, 2 after, 0 from mailings
Mass mails: 50+ semi-targeted mass mails (generic cover letter with firm name/info mixed in
Callbacks received: 3, (1 V40 from OCI, 1 V40 from resume drop, 1 V10 from networking)
Offers: 2 Rejections, 1 silence for about 2 months.
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback?: About 1/2 of my mass mails
Clerkship Interview: 50+ apps, no interviews
Other: Just awful. Luckily I had 12 3L OCI screeners because I found out later a few firms came to 3L OCI and didn't call anyone back, a few others were only looking for people with 2L SA offers. Starting to lose hope for that biglaw job I came to law school to get.



Op here.. What do you think the silence means? I had the same thing happen to me after a callback.. 2 months of silence.



Follow up with the people who have not rejected you. I followed up every month for four months and ended up getting the job I wanted.


Actually they lost/didn't send my rejection letter (third time this has happened). But I have a related issue.

I had a callback at a market paying firm hiring for a specific group in March. They called me two weeks later (I was about to flip out with joy when I saw that unlisted number with area code) and told me they did not have anything in that office but were hiring for another office in the same group. They told me someone from that office would be in touch. It's been about three weeks and I've yet to hear from the office. Should I call the office I interviewed with and ask what's up?


Yes. Follow up.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273345
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI/Employment Search Results:

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 01, 2012 3:37 am

Any other 3Ls panicking? Still don't have a job. Part of me is wondering why even bother with finals and the bar exam when there's not much point in being a lawyer. I've always been taught that education is the way to get ahead, but clearly that's not true anymore. Maybe I should look into teaching English overseas or something. What else is out there? I want to kick myself for leaving a cushy life with a decent middle class salary on just a bachelor's degree to enter this hell hole.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.