No-offer due to grades Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

No-offer due to grades

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:38 pm

Does anybody know of a single person no offered due to 2L/3L grades outside of some firm that starts with a D (can't remember which one) or Gibson Dunn?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Anonymous User

Re: No-offer due to grades

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:15 pm

How do you know Dewey no-offered due to grades?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:21 pm

how terrible do someone's grades have to be in order to get no-offered solely for that reason?! especially at firms like GDC/Dewey which (at least at my school) aren't even all that selective...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:32 pm

I think it would be useful if people posted whether their firm asked for grades or not.

Also, if you know of a firm which has no-offered based on grades in the past, let's out that sumbitch, mmmkay?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:45 pm

it's weird that there's no record of this happening at any firm. is it a myth or are people just really tight lipped about out? my firm asked for a transcript authorization but I'm assuming that's just to check that I graduated, there's nothing about maintaining gpa in the offer letter

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:it's weird that there's no record of this happening at any firm. is it a myth or are people just really tight lipped about out? my firm asked for a transcript authorization but I'm assuming that's just to check that I graduated, there's nothing about maintaining gpa in the offer letter
I think ppl are concerned about 2L grades causing them to get no-offered at the end of the summer (not having an official offer withdrawn after graduation).

ETA- I take it your firm didn't request 2L grades? Just after 3L?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:it's weird that there's no record of this happening at any firm. is it a myth or are people just really tight lipped about out? my firm asked for a transcript authorization but I'm assuming that's just to check that I graduated, there's nothing about maintaining gpa in the offer letter
I think ppl are concerned about 2L grades causing them to get no-offered at the end of the summer (not having an official offer withdrawn after graduation).

ETA- I take it your firm didn't request 2L grades? Just after 3L?
no, i was asked for the transcript authorization form as part of background check docs. i figured it was just to get a copy of my final transcript from the dean to make sure i graduated in good standing. they didn't request 2l grades from me yet -- we'll see if they do.

funstuff

New

Post by funstuff » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:00 pm

Christ people are overusing the Anonymous feature...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:01 pm

Gibson offered all of their summers in DC and NYC and 104/107 firmwide last year. They've consistently had offer rates firmwide over 95%(going as low as around 90%) during the recession.

I doubt they no offer people because of grades.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Christ people are overusing the Anonymous feature...
This is an extremely sensitive discussion. We're talking about no-offers and grades, two topics as sensitive as it gets. Complaining about anon as anon, however, is ... yea.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Gibson offered all of their summers in DC and NYC and 104/107 firmwide last year. They've consistently had offer rates firmwide over 95%(going as low as around 90%) during the recession.

I always wonder whether this means they don't care about grades, or just that they self-select candidates who perform well 2L/3L year.

Only way to know is if somebody had a few C's 2L/3L year and didn't get no-offered.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Gibson offered all of their summers in DC and NYC and 104/107 firmwide last year. They've consistently had offer rates firmwide over 95%(going as low as around 90%) during the recession.

I always wonder whether this means they don't care about grades, or just that they self-select candidates who perform well 2L/3L year.

Only way to know is if somebody had a few C's 2L/3L year and didn't get no-offered.
There was somebody on TLS last year who had a GDC NY position, and seemed pretty worried about his/her grades, as in legitimately so. Since NY had 100% offer rate, I too doubt that GDC really no-offers because of grades. It seems like one of those TLS myths that just keeps getting tossed around the reverb chamber with no actual support.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:15 am

I can definitely confirm that GDC does NOT no-offer based on 2L grades, at least for non-DC offices. I'll get back to you about whether they no offer for 3L grades. :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:I can definitely confirm that GDC does NOT no-offer based on 2L grades, at least for non-DC offices. I'll get back to you about whether they no offer for 3L grades. :D
How low? Are we talking just A's to B's, or a C or two.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I can definitely confirm that GDC does NOT no-offer based on 2L grades, at least for non-DC offices. I'll get back to you about whether they no offer for 3L grades. :D
top 10% ---> top 50%

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
top 10% ---> top 50%
noice. congrats :).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:07 am

You guys are all way too sanguine about this. No offers for bad 2L grades happens all the time in the v100 (and believe me, I know of many people being no offered for grades from many firms) And I'm not talking major drops either. If you were top 10% and you fall to top 25%, I'd be very worried. These firms have tons of eager law grads knocking down the door for jobs and can be afford to be very, very selective. They are also making a huge investment in you - so why invest in someone whose 1L grades were a fluke or were too lazy to keep it up 2L year?

Moral of the story - if your grades drop at all really, I'd be worried. Obviously a 10% drop is not going to be as bad as a 25% or 50% drop but really any drop is something to take very seriously.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:believe me, I know of many people being no offered for grades from many firms
I want to believe you. Name the firms please.

professork

New

Post by professork » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:You guys are all way too sanguine about this. No offers for bad 2L grades happens all the time in the v100 (and believe me, I know of many people being no offered for grades from many firms) And I'm not talking major drops either. If you were top 10% and you fall to top 25%, I'd be very worried. These firms have tons of eager law grads knocking down the door for jobs and can be afford to be very, very selective. They are also making a huge investment in you - so why invest in someone whose 1L grades were a fluke or were too lazy to keep it up 2L year?

Moral of the story - if your grades drop at all really, I'd be worried. Obviously a 10% drop is not going to be as bad as a 25% or 50% drop but really any drop is something to take very seriously.
I'm sorry but your reasoning is off about the tons of eager law grads. There is a reason why 3l oci/eip is dismal. It's because they would rather offer someone that they had a chance to screen/work over the summer with despite grade drops over someone with excellent grades at 3l eip or after graduation. Grades act in the first place as a rough indicator of how well and hard you can work. So if you work well and hard during the summer, grades don't matter much.

I have heard of grades mattering if your work product was shaky, however.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:You guys are all way too sanguine about this. No offers for bad 2L grades happens all the time in the v100 (and believe me, I know of many people being no offered for grades from many firms) And I'm not talking major drops either. If you were top 10% and you fall to top 25%, I'd be very worried. These firms have tons of eager law grads knocking down the door for jobs and can be afford to be very, very selective. They are also making a huge investment in you - so why invest in someone whose 1L grades were a fluke or were too lazy to keep it up 2L year?

I kinda call troll and bs. Offer rates are too high and 3L OCI too bleak for this to be possible. Anyway, I got my V100 offer with median gpa, so it's pretty much impossible for me to drop. I will be just as lazy this year as I was last year.

Don't come around here trying to scare people with literally 0 examples or logic to back up your statements. You really know of "many" people being no-offered from grades? You must know a ton of flukey or lazy people, then. Completely not credible post.

Ya, I mad.

EDIT: This thread has still failed to produce a single example of no-offer due to grades. I don't think it happens if you do great work during the summer.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:59 am

The pessimism sounds like an anon MrAnon

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:06 am

There's nothing personal or sensitive about the content of this post - can mods out this guy so I know whether to take him seriously or not?

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:10 am

You're a fucking retard.

Indifferent

Bronze

Post by Indifferent » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:11 am

Unsubstantiated statement is unsubstantiated.

Firms know that second/third year students slack off and that their grades may drop due to journal and other extracurricular obligations.

In any event, once you have a job working at a good firm, your work product/interaction with colleagues (and ultimately with clients) is what will dictate whether the firm hires you or decides to keep you long term, not what you got in Income Tax spring semester in your second year.

Although, as with anything, I am sure there are some exceptions to the rule.

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:36 pm

concurrent fork wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:believe me, I know of many people being no offered for grades from many firms
I want to believe you. Name the firms please.
This. Either name the firms, or post non-anonymously so we can see if you're someone worth paying attention to.

I'll second f0bolous, this sounds like MrAnon: pessimistic and backed by vague and unsubstantiated hearsay, and seemingly without actual knowledge of how legal hiring works.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”