How big of a boost would a year of V20 litigation experience

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How big of a boost would a year of V20 litigation experience

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:10 am

be for getting a district court clerkship? Assume top 15-20% at MVP, secondary journal editorial board, one publication, IP background, and 2 years of pre-law school, non-law related work experience.

Anonymous User

Re: How big of a boost would a year of V20 litigation experience

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:be for getting a district court clerkship? Assume top 15-20% at MVP, secondary journal editorial board, one publication, IP background, and 2 years of pre-law school, non-law related work experience.

The average federal judge gets north of 400 applications a year. Even a good bankruptcy judge or flyover judge still gets about 200. With those stats you have a shot, but I suspect working for a year in an AG's office or even a FPD's office would be looked upon better given the little actual experience you will get as a first year V20. Clerks write bench memos and decisions, they don't do doc review.

spondee

Postby spondee » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:42 am

I asked my school's clerkship office a similar question this summer, and I was told that it would be significantly easier to get a clerkship after 1–2 years of work experience (and I'm also heading to biglaw). And I was told that I'd get a better clerkship that way. It's hard to quantify how much easier, but the advisor really made it seem like applying as a rising 3L was a crapshoot, whereas applying in another year or two was nearly a sure thing. And there were people at my firm this past summer leaving to clerk who didn't even graduate with honors and who were heading to prestigious districts like E/SDNY.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:49 am

My story: I have stats that might or might not have given me a chance at a DC clerkship out of law school (top 25% from CCN, secondary journal, published comment, non-EIC/AE/ME editorial position). I applied with a good bit (5+ years) of practice experience litigating at both a V20 firm and the government, plus several post-law school publications. I mostly targeted judges who preferred more experienced clerks (for obvious reasons), offered two year clerkships (to give me a little breathing time), and were in or near one of a handful of cities that I'd be willing to relocate the family to. I sent off about 30 applications and got five interviews -- though one of them offered me a job more or less on the spot, and I withdrew probably half of the outstanding applications before I had a chance to hear one way or the other on them. I'll be clerking next fall in one of the more prestigious non-SDNY, non-DDC districts next year (think, oh, C.D. Cal. or N.D. Cal. or N.D. Ill. or D. Mass.).

My bottom line advice: There are really two different clerkship application processes. The first is for alums only. The second is for everyone. I don't know for sure, but I strongly suspect that the ratio of applicants-to-openings is exponentially lower in the former than the latter.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:My story: I have stats that might or might not have given me a chance at a DC clerkship out of law school (top 25% from CCN, secondary journal, published comment, non-EIC/AE/ME editorial position). I applied with a good bit (5+ years) of practice experience litigating at both a V20 firm and the government, plus several post-law school publications. I mostly targeted judges who preferred more experienced clerks (for obvious reasons), offered two year clerkships (to give me a little breathing time), and were in or near one of a handful of cities that I'd be willing to relocate the family to. I sent off about 30 applications and got five interviews -- though one of them offered me a job more or less on the spot, and I withdrew probably half of the outstanding applications before I had a chance to hear one way or the other on them. I'll be clerking next fall in one of the more prestigious non-SDNY, non-DDC districts next year (think, oh, C.D. Cal. or N.D. Cal. or N.D. Ill. or D. Mass.).

My bottom line advice: There are really two different clerkship application processes. The first is for alums only. The second is for everyone. I don't know for sure, but I strongly suspect that the ratio of applicants-to-openings is exponentially lower in the former than the latter.

Good to hear. Thanks!

Anonymous Loser

Postby Anonymous Loser » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:05 am

What does a district court clerkship get you that 5+ years of V20/government work can't?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:32 am

What does a district court clerkship get you that 5+ years of V20/government work can't?

Good question! Better shot at USAO, maybe a way to come in as of counsel at the firms in that market, maybe a shot at a COA clerkship. Definitely time to write before it starts -- I'd probably have a decent shot on the academic market with another well-placed article or (definitely) two. But mostly it's something I always wanted to do and kicked myself for not doing (or at least trying) right out of law school. Plus, with my experience, the pay is actually a decent bump from what I make now at the government.

Return to “Legal Employment”