Realistic Options/ Clerking a possibility? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Realistic Options/ Clerking a possibility?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:41 pm

Top 15 % at a top 20, secondary journal. Came straight through undergrad, no significant WE, just officially struck out at OCI. I did not come to law school with the big law or bust attitude, but the reality of officially striking out has hit hard tonight. I know nobody can tell me what to do, but I'm quasi- considering dropping out. I'm here on a 3/4 scholarship but borrowing all of my cost of living. Between Law School and UG I'm looking at just under 100k worth of loans. I really do enjoy law school and enjoyed my summer experience, but staring at 100k worth of debt I'm not sure if it's worth it at this point.

My main question is do you think I have any legitimate shot at clerking (knowing what little you know about my stats). I feel this is the only real legitimate exit option from law school right now? It doesn't necessarily have to be Article III either. Thoughts for someone whose feeling really desperate right now?

Edited for change in class rank, earlier typo.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sup Kid

Silver

Re: Realistic Options/ Clerking a possibility?

Post by Sup Kid » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just outside the top 15 % at a top 20, secondary journal. Came straight through undergrad, no significant WE, just officially struck out at OCI. I did not come to law school with the big law or bust attitude, but the reality of officially striking out has hit hard tonight. I know nobody can tell me what to do, but I'm quasi- considering dropping out. I'm here on a 3/4 scholarship but borrowing all of my cost of living. Between Law School and UG I'm looking at just under 100k worth of loans. I really do enjoy law school and enjoyed my summer experience, but staring at 100k worth of debt I'm not sure if it's worth it at this point.

My main question is do you think I have any legitimate shot at clerking (knowing what little you know about my stats). I feel this is the only real legitimate exit option from law school right now? It doesn't necessarily have to be Article III either. Thoughts for someone whose feeling really desperate right now?
If you're talking about a clerkship with a state judge, at the trial or appellate level (but not the highest court), you almost certainly can get that with your grades. State supreme courts and federal courts will be much more difficult, but not completely outside the realm of possibility. Try to do an externship with a judge your 2L summer if you haven't done one already, and try to get something published either in your secondary journal or another publication. With 3/4 scholarship, if you actually want to be a lawyer, I wouldn't drop out.

BeenDidThat

Silver

Post by BeenDidThat » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:00 pm

My thoughts are: keeping pushing, and widen your horizons. 100k, while significant, is much more manageable than 180k+. Even if you have to start out a personal injury/workers comp or small insurance defense shop, you have solid credentials that put you on track for long-term success.

I'm guessing you didn't major in something in UG that would line you up for much in the way of lucrative jobs. For all the justifiable doom & gloom about the legal market, people who are just outside the top 15% at a top 20 school are not SoL if they miss the biglaw gravy train. It sucks to think about striking out at OCI with good stats and a decent shot at hitting 160/year pay dirt, but you have to look at it from the perspective of what to do from here.

If you really are interested in doing legal work, I think you should stick with it and try to take advantage of the opportunities that are likely to come your way. Keep resume bombing anything you find interesting on your school's job board, pop some more A's in classes, and be ready to work hard when you end up get the chance to show your work ethic & intellect.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:35 pm

OP-- Thank you both of you for the positive thoughts. I've just been so caught up in the big law rush that its hard to move on or even imagine a career outside of big law (which I know is ridiculous) I'll just have to refocus my career goals and get on a new plan.

I'd appreciate if anyone else has any feedback positive or negative.

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:51 pm

People from my school who were in a similar situation did very well at 3L OCI this year, incl. offers at V5 firms after getting As in 2L. All hope is not lost, especially if you add some notable achievement to your resume.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:40 pm

Sup Kid wrote: If you're talking about a clerkship with a state judge, at the trial or appellate level (but not the highest court), you almost certainly can get that with your grades. State supreme courts and federal courts will be much more difficult, but not completely outside the realm of possibility. Try to do an externship with a judge your 2L summer if you haven't done one already, and try to get something published either in your secondary journal or another publication. With 3/4 scholarship, if you actually want to be a lawyer, I wouldn't drop out.
Nope. Usually not that helpful for clerkships.

Sup Kid

Silver

Post by Sup Kid » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:54 pm

Grizz wrote:
Sup Kid wrote: If you're talking about a clerkship with a state judge, at the trial or appellate level (but not the highest court), you almost certainly can get that with your grades. State supreme courts and federal courts will be much more difficult, but not completely outside the realm of possibility. Try to do an externship with a judge your 2L summer if you haven't done one already, and try to get something published either in your secondary journal or another publication. With 3/4 scholarship, if you actually want to be a lawyer, I wouldn't drop out.
Nope. Usually not that helpful for clerkships.
Maybe not for federal clerkships but it definitely is for state level ones. I know of 1/2 dozen 3L friends who struck out at biglaw but have state clerkships lined up for after graduation with either the judge they interned for or another judge in the same courthouse (their judge recommended them).

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Top 15 % at a top 20, secondary journal. Came straight through undergrad, no significant WE, just officially struck out at OCI. I did not come to law school with the big law or bust attitude, but the reality of officially striking out has hit hard tonight. I know nobody can tell me what to do, but I'm quasi- considering dropping out. I'm here on a 3/4 scholarship but borrowing all of my cost of living. Between Law School and UG I'm looking at just under 100k worth of loans. I really do enjoy law school and enjoyed my summer experience, but staring at 100k worth of debt I'm not sure if it's worth it at this point.

Edited for change in class rank, earlier typo.
You might have struck out at OCI but it's not too late to get big lawl yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:02 pm

Could anyone tell me what sort of clerkships I should be gunning for? Interested in clerking to give me a shot at a biglaw market on the coasts.

Top 10% + LR at a Midwest T25. SA lined up in non-Chicago midwest market (struck out on coasts). Probably not going to get my note published. If no chance to clerk for District Court, then I think I'm just going to take easy, non-gunner classes and settle in this market. If I do have a decent shot, then I'll try, but need to know before I start picking classes for the future. Thanks!

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:44 pm

OP: wustl? if so, can pm me

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”