Changing Offices

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Changing Offices

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:03 pm

Ok, so I'm in a bit of a weird situation. I summered at the NY office of a V10 firm. This firm also has a major office in another city. I received a full-time offer at this firm.

While I loved NYC and was sure I would be returning, my spouse just got an awesome job offer (non-law) in another city (the same city where my firm has a major office).

Would it be absolutely ridiculous to talk to my firm about starting in this other city rather than NYC? I know that they don't mind having their attorneys change offices after a couple years.

Thoughts?

Blindmelon

Re: Changing Offices

Postby Blindmelon » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:14 pm

Just ask. Friend of mine went from summering in a V20 NY office to working in their small satellite office out West. It happens.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:20 pm

If you hit it off with a mid-level associate over the summer, you might want to call them up and see what they've heard around the firm for what happens in this type of situation.

I'd ask the firm either way, but you might want to ask some younger associates beforehand.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:03 pm

Good thought about asking the mid-level associate. I was already planning to do that. I was going to ask the firm as well, I just wanted to see what others thought before doing so. I really don't see any negatives to asking.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:02 pm

OP here... Just for posterity, in case someone else ends up in this situation. I contacted the firm and they had no problem with me changing offices.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:07 pm

What about starting off in the LI office of a firm (that pays less than the nyc firm) can you ever transfer to the NYC office?

Return to “Legal Employment”