Biglaw at Fordham/Cardozo/Brooklyn...compare? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Biglaw at Fordham/Cardozo/Brooklyn...compare?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:39 pm

How do you think chances at biglaw compare at these schools? I've heard the numbers were not great for OCI this year, but still, thoughts?

Sup Kid

Silver

Re: Biglaw at Fordham/Cardozo/Brooklyn...compare?

Post by Sup Kid » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How do you think chances at biglaw compare at these schools? I've heard the numbers were not great for OCI this year, but still, thoughts?
First, this didn't need to be anonymous, especially from presumably an 0L picking a school. That said, there is no real comparison between Fordham and the other two -- some (maybe top-15%) at Fordham get Biglaw, whereas only a tiny minority (less than 5%) get it at either of the other 2 schools, and that's mostly because their grades are good enough to transfer to a top-20 school if they wanted to.

Wholigan

Silver

Post by Wholigan » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:51 pm

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... OLS_REPORT

If you count NLJ as biglaw, Fordham is ~25%, Cardozo ~12% and BLS unranked, probably around 8-9%.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:53 pm

1) You're only slightly more likely to see a unicorn than get biglaw from Fordham.
2) You are substantially more likely to see a unicorn than get biglaw from Cardozo.
3) You will see a unicorn before getting biglaw from BLS.

TA923

New

Post by TA923 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1) You're only slightly more likely to see a unicorn than get biglaw from Fordham.
2) You are substantially more likely to see a unicorn than get biglaw from Cardozo.
This gem of a quote also didn't need to be anonymous.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:04 pm

Posting anonymous just to post anonymous.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:04 pm

damn... i got biglaw from fordham, but didn't see a unicorn yet...........*weeps, as a single tear falls down cheek*

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:33 pm

Pretty dumb responses here.

I heard Fordham did pretty well this year. They are in another league than BLS & Cardozo. Top 25% should be pretty secure if you interview decent. And if your in top 33% with WE you might be okay too.

BLS & Cardozo aren't much different. Must be in top 10% at each. I go to one of these. There are some outliers (myself included) in the top 20% that have significant WE that got offers. There are others within the top 10% without WE that did not get offers.

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1) You're only slightly more likely to see a unicorn than get biglaw from Fordham.
I don't know that it's that bad at Fordham, unless Fordham is really under-performing against BU/BC these days, which I don't have any reason to think is true. I wouldn't go to any of those schools if I were biglaw or bust because a good percentage less than half will be getting biglaw, but it's certainly far from mythical.

But anyways, super cool use of anonymous posting bro. You scared of being outed as . . . a jerk?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:18 pm

Wholigan wrote:http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... OLS_REPORT

If you count NLJ as biglaw, Fordham is ~25%, Cardozo ~12% and BLS unranked, probably around 8-9%.
But not all NLJ firms pay market..

DrGuano

Bronze

Post by DrGuano » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:45 pm

Fordham 2L with a top firm lined up. I did well, but not top of the class well. Still on law review.

Had my pick of 7 firms from v5-v50 before canceling 10 callbacks. Every friend of mine top 25% has at least a v100 job, most (7 out of 12 friends) at v50s.

Kids on secondary journals doing very well this year as long as their top 25% from what I've heard at least. Definitely better than I thought Fordham would do.

Still, your looking at 300 kids out of 450 that are probably without jobs...that is pretty depressing.

Wholigan

Silver

Post by Wholigan » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wholigan wrote:http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... OLS_REPORT

But not all NLJ firms pay market..
Of course they don't all pay market... and there are non-NLJ firms which do pay market. But the OP didn't mention market pay... also, this is why I said "if you count NLJ".

barryg

New

Post by barryg » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:15 pm

LETTER TO THE EDITOR

The National Law Journal
March 15, 2010

Brooklyn Law School disputes its omission from the NLJ's list of Go-To Law Schools. According to the school's data, which they've confirmed with the firms, 20.4% of Brooklyn Law grads were hired by the nation top law firms.

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticlePr ... 2446122003

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawschoolgrapedme

Bronze

Post by lawschoolgrapedme » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:06 pm

DrGuano wrote:Fordham 2L with a top firm lined up. I did well, but not top of the class well. Still on law review.

Had my pick of 7 firms from v5-v50 before canceling 10 callbacks. Every friend of mine top 25% has at least a v100 job, most (7 out of 12 friends) at v50s.

Kids on secondary journals doing very well this year as long as their top 25% from what I've heard at least. Definitely better than I thought Fordham would do.

Still, your looking at 300 kids out of 450 that are probably without jobs...that is pretty depressing.
you have 12 friends?

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:10 pm

barryg wrote:LETTER TO THE EDITOR

The National Law Journal
March 15, 2010

Brooklyn Law School disputes its omission from the NLJ's list of Go-To Law Schools. According to the school's data, which they've confirmed with the firms, 20.4% of Brooklyn Law grads were hired by the nation top law firms.

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticlePr ... 2446122003
The data isn't perfect. It misquoted BU's placement by 3% (its the same as BC when you look at the raw data). 20.4% is insanely high though. Do you have the full text of the article?

gibby

New

Post by gibby » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:23 pm

I'm a Fordham 3L. Can't really speak for Cardozo or Brooklyn, but I'd say 25% of my year has biglaw and the current 2L class seems to have done much better than that.

lawschoolgrapedme

Bronze

Post by lawschoolgrapedme » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:29 pm

Out of curiosity, when you guys say biglaw, are we making it into the v5 or v10s, or is it concentrated in v50 and above?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gibby

New

Post by gibby » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:31 pm

By biglaw I generally mean v100. I know a bunch of people in my year and the year below working in v10.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:14 pm

Wow, it really is all over the place for Fordham, at least - there's a huge gap between top 10-15% and 25-30% IMO.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”