Minority program at big firm or USAO internship?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dunkin

Minority program at big firm or USAO internship?

Postby dunkin » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:36 pm

I've been offered an unpaid spring internship at the USAO and also have options to work at a big firm through a diversity program (with a pretty significant scholarship). I've literally been wrestling with this decision for weeks. My question goes out to the potential employers out there, because I know neither of these options have long-term hiring potential: Which should I pick? Does putting "diversity intern" for a big firm on my resume look bad? Like all law students, I could use the scholarship.
Last edited by dunkin on Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dunkin

Re: Minority program at big firm or USAO?

Postby dunkin » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:40 pm

I should add that I'd ideally like to get into *paid* government/pi work, but am finding that it's ridiculously competitive (like everything these days). And I struck out at OCI so will likely never experience biglaw without this opportunity.

ggocat

Re: Minority program at big firm or USAO internship?

Postby ggocat » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:06 pm

What did you do 1L? Do you have anything else on your resume to display interest in government/PI?

Regardless, I'd lean towards the large firm. You don't have to advertise that you were a "diversity hire" unless you want to. And are you 100% sure there's no long-term prospect with the firm?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:15 pm

Go with the firm. See if you can do government during a term internship. You can always go to gov't after law school, but you can't go to a firm (easily) unless you were an SA. Doesn't matter how you were an SA, you just need that LLP on your resume.

dunkin

Postby dunkin » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:06 pm

Thanks for the replies. It's not an SA position, just a spring program. So while I'm not 100% sure there's no long-term prospect, from what I understand, it's very rare. Hence, why I'd feel like I'd have to put "diversity intern" or something that distinguishes the program from a SA position -- so other employers don't get the idea that the long-term position was mine to lose.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:00 am

dunkin wrote:Thanks for the replies. It's not an SA position, just a spring program. So while I'm not 100% sure there's no long-term prospect, from what I understand, it's very rare. Hence, why I'd feel like I'd have to put "diversity intern" or something that distinguishes the program from a SA position -- so other employers don't get the idea that the long-term position was mine to lose.

They will realize that on their own when they see it was a spring program.

A term-time USAO internship is cool, but available as a 3L too and not dispositive of your future government hiring chances. What are you doing 2L summer?

Return to “Legal Employment”