Do lawyers wear suits everyday?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
MrKappus

Re: Do lawyers wear suits everyday?

Postby MrKappus » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:00 am

Curious1 wrote:
Car service is for when you stay late, not come in.

P.S. Lots of associates even take ... gasp ... the bus. NYC, that shit be expensive.

Guess 10 bucks a day adds up...but damn I think it's gotta be worth it in July.

Ten bucks in rush hour traffic gets you about 15 blocks. And 100 degree subway stations is optimistic. I'd guess 110-15.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:Will people look at you funny if you wear a suit every day? i.e. will you be known as "that person that dresses up more than s/he needs to"?

Only if you are committed, and it is your "thing." Don't waver. You're either all in as the "suit guy," or you aren't.

sebastian0622

Postby sebastian0622 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:38 am

I think it's easy to just wear a suit everyday. You can hang up your coat in your office if you don't need it. I figure if you buy quality clothing and get it fitted properly, then it's perfectly comfortable and there is little reason to dress down. It's convenient just to throw on the suit every morning and not have to think about whether you have court, what clients you're seeing, etc.

pasteurizedmilk

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:19 am

The subway in nyc is hellish enough.

i think business-formal dress code would be a deal-breaker for me.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:58 am

NotMyRealName09 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Will people look at you funny if you wear a suit every day? i.e. will you be known as "that person that dresses up more than s/he needs to"?

Only if you are committed, and it is your "thing." Don't waver. You're either all in as the "suit guy," or you aren't.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:00 am

pasteurizedmilk wrote:The subway in nyc is hellish enough.

i think business-formal dress code would be a deal-breaker for me.

You know, you could just carry your jacket till you get to work.

Also, firms do pay you enough where you COULD take a cab every day if that's how you wanted to spend your money. Or, you could do what a lot of smart lawyers do and live within walking distance of work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:20 am

Cravath, Jones Day (all offices), and Snell & Wilmer (all offices) all require suits to be worn everyday.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:Cravath, Jones Day (all offices), and Snell & Wilmer (all offices) all require suits to be worn everyday.

Yah. You think NYC in the summer is bad, try wearing a suit in the middle of an Arizona summer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:57 am

Came back from a v100 firm interview. This was at one of their smaller branches. Nobody even had a dress shirt on. Some people were in jeans. The only days they dress up is when there is a client over or when they're going to court.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:Cravath, Jones Day (all offices), and Snell & Wilmer (all offices) all require suits to be worn everyday.

Greenberg Traurig is also business formal -- at least the NYC office is (although they implemented a business-casual-for-the-summer policy this past summer).

Also, Goodwin Procter's NYC office is not business formal. Don't know about Boston.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:01 am

At the two v50 firms I worked for, cars were available if stayed past 8pm and if you had to come in before 5am, but you would have to be doing billable work and bill that car to the client. So a super cost conscious client means you deal with it and take the subway, but deep pockets meant cruising in style.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:10 am

Is DPW business formal?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is DPW business formal?

No.

And guys, for the love of God, every day is two words when used as an adverb.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:24 pm

I actually am unclear about my firm's dress code. They advertise a business casual dress code, but every single person I saw in the office was wearing a shirt and tie mininum when I did my CB (and I don't think there was a client in the office that day or anything). LA/SF office of V50, FWIW.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:13 pm

False. During the summer, Fridays at Cravath are business casual.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Fridays at Jones Day are business casual as well. But I think that by "everyday", he just meant that those firms have overarching business formal policies. Doesn't mean they don't offer the occasional casual day.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Comments like this are why people hate lawyers/law students.

Curious1

Postby Curious1 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Yah. You think NYC in the summer is bad, try wearing a suit in the middle of an Arizona summer.

Dry heat in Arizona is much preferable to 100% humidity in NYC. But both are pretty awful. No weather like California weather...

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:58 pm

Norcal firms are super casual. You can rock jeans on a weekday no problem. And don't always have to suit up for clients - given that many clients rock casual dress too! west coast is the best coast

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:59 pm

Kasowitz is business formal. Kind of odd, I thought, considering how new a firm they are, but maybe they're trying to ape the old school prestige thing.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I actually am unclear about my firm's dress code. They advertise a business casual dress code, but every single person I saw in the office was wearing a shirt and tie mininum when I did my CB (and I don't think there was a client in the office that day or anything). LA/SF office of V50, FWIW.

Always. Always. Always over dress your first week or so. After that, follow suit. LOLOLOL pun.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:52 pm

in my law school, there is a student who wears a black or very dark navy suit + tie every single day.
seriously, he can walk into a job interview or a courtroom any minute.

and this is in California, not NY. so, go figure.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:in my law school, there is a student who wears a black or very dark navy suit + tie every single day.

My section had a kid like that. Within just one day, he was known as "that guy" for being such a loser and a tool. I wonder what his thought process was? I just can't imagine having so little social sense as to think wearing a suit to class on a daily basis would be a good idea.

The guy was a total douche as well. Never really talked to him, but started up casual conversation, and one of his first comments was "where did you prep?" And I'm confused and silent, since idk what he was talking about. "Prep for what?" I asked. He shook his head like I was an idiot and said "duh, what prep school did you go to?" (perhaps a bunch of kids at my school went to prep school such that this question would be normal, but totally off the radar for someone from my blue collar town & background). Yep, this is the type of loser who thinks its a good idea to wear a suit every day to school.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:in my law school, there is a student who wears a black or very dark navy suit + tie every single day.

My section had a kid like that. Within just one day, he was known as "that guy" for being such a loser and a tool. I wonder what his thought process was? I just can't imagine having so little social sense as to think wearing a suit to class on a daily basis would be a good idea.

"Within just one day"?

our "that guy" beats yours.
he is now a 2L.
and no one has ever seen him without a suit and tie.

seriously, this is California. i only remember one law professor that wears a suit and tie, and his suits are the casual brown ones with patterns.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:12 am

Have a few suiters at my school but they are actually not malicious--I don't mind them.

At the other end of the spectrum, I rock sweats and/or pajamas every single day of law school and I constantly notice people giving me looks. Sorry but I'll have my whole life to dress nice, in no hurry.

Return to “Legal Employment”