Should I Go to MVP?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Should I stay or should I go?

1. Go to MVP
14%
2. Stay Working (and am I an idiot for needing to ask)
86%

Total votes: 7

Anonymous User

Should I Go to MVP?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:39 pm

Was accepted to MVP and debating whether to go to law school or not and just want to hear advice from people who are in law school now/recent grads/or are applying to. I appreciate wisdom of the masses and to be honest my hesitation for committing to law stems primarily from the insight i have gained from this site. I post this question in legal employment because my decision to go is predicated on post law school employment opportunities.

I am 24, went to a top 5 undergrad, currently have a pretty good job that all in pays the equivalent of a big law salary. Do I love it--no, do I like the pay yes. hours are brutal and to be honest excel is not my friend. I have no illusions of the life of a big law associate. I work with them on a daily basis.

I have always envisioned going to law school, doing something a little more intellectual--appelate work, maybe academia, just something more complex than number crunching or doc review. Would MVP provide access to something along those lines. I would hope to do appealate litigation. In short I want a stimulating career. But do I stand a chance of getting a position like this post law school.

No, I am not a flame or a fake. Just torn, because I know this year I either go to law school or I stay on the path I am on and see where it takes me--most likely B School in the future. My Dad has a successful law practice, and is advising me not to go--says its a shitty job market and will be for a long time. I should probably grow a pair and just be decisive, it is just challening since I have always been interested in law, and by sheer luck, have stumbled on a few times on opportunities outside of law that have made it difficult to commit to. that being said, my opportunity cost for law school right now is incredibly high and hence the pause for concern

zomginternets

Re: Should I Go to MVP?

Postby zomginternets » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:05 pm

How important is money to you right now (vs. a satisfying career)? That seems to be your ultimate dilemma.

When the money is no longer worth the boredom of your current job, then go. Doing well at MVP will give you the option of doing pretty much whatever you want in law.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:12 pm

Since you are currently making close to $200,000 a year & have no overwhelming passion to attend law school, the answer seems quite clear. Things get a bit more complicated, however, if you were admitted to Penn of MVP & have the option of taking courses in the Wharton School. (Oddly, mostly when folks refer to MVP, it seems to be "V".)

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:17 pm

Appellate law is boring as FUCK friend. Although, I suppose that if you like cobbling together legal tests from the husks of other legal tests it could be alright.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:19 pm

when it's time to go to B-School, get a harvard/northwestern/penn JD-MBA. i bet during 1L you'll be glad you did. if i'm wrong, you can just do law.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:21 pm

0Ls should be asking these questions in the 0L forums. "Choosing a Law School", for example.

Return to “Legal Employment”