Fed Judicial Internship w/ criminal record

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Fed Judicial Internship w/ criminal record

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:29 pm

Can one get Federal judicial internships at either the District or COA level if they have a US criminal record? Specifically a Marijuana misdemeanor (stemming from more serious charges that were expunged)? None of the prosecution was ever at the federal level but just wanted to make sure this wouldn't preclude me from such positions before wasting time investigating opportunities. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

BeautifulSW

Re: Fed Judicial Internship w/ criminal record

Postby BeautifulSW » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:48 pm

You will not BELIEVE the depth and breadth of the background investigation that is done on any federal judicial clerk. I can't say for certain, of course not, but given the vast numbers of applications these positions attract from folks with no blemishes whatsoever, I think any drug conviction (that really IS an adult conviction) will be the kiss of death.

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:58 pm

BeautifulSW wrote:You will not BELIEVE the depth and breadth of the background investigation that is done on any federal judicial clerk. I can't say for certain, of course not, but given the vast numbers of applications these positions attract from folks with no blemishes whatsoever, I think any drug conviction (that really IS an adult conviction) will be the kiss of death.

Ignorant answer. You are fine. Proof - know people in COA clerkships with worse.

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:48 pm

I am pleased to hear that. I hope it turns out to be true.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:53 pm

You said internship - I'm not even sure they run any significant background on you at all, figuring your admission to law school is enough for them to track you down if you screw up. They don't drug test for internships, you don't fingerprint with the FBI, I doubt they will ever know. Nor will they really care - you're an INTERN.

quiver

Postby quiver » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:10 pm

NotMyRealName09 wrote:You said internship - I'm not even sure they run any significant background on you at all, figuring your admission to law school is enough for them to track you down if you screw up. They don't drug test for internships, you don't fingerprint with the FBI, I doubt they will ever know. Nor will they really care - you're an INTERN.

I did a federal judicial internship last summer and I got FBI fingerprinted and background checked.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:46 am

quiver wrote:
NotMyRealName09 wrote:You said internship - I'm not even sure they run any significant background on you at all, figuring your admission to law school is enough for them to track you down if you screw up. They don't drug test for internships, you don't fingerprint with the FBI, I doubt they will ever know. Nor will they really care - you're an INTERN.

I did a federal judicial internship last summer and I got FBI fingerprinted and background checked.

Hmm, it was years ago, did they background check me? I don't remember getting fingerprinted, and I did two, one at district and one at appellate.

*Stream of consciousness* - wait, ok, I do remember now, I think the Marshalls did it. Shit I have a bad memory. It’s a good thing I'm handsome, and not a criminal.

I knew a guy with a DUI and it was fine. By the way, your state expungment has no bearing on the FBI seeing your conviction.

Return to “Legal Employment”