Taking a Couple Days Off During Summer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Taking a Couple Days Off During Summer

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:01 pm

hey all,

my cousin is getting married in july. i accepted a SA position in nyc. what are your thoughts about trying to get thursday and friday off?

thanks!

Big Shrimpin

Re: Taking a Couple Days Off During Summer

Postby Big Shrimpin » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:hey all,

my cousin is getting married in july. i accepted a SA position in nyc. what are your thoughts about trying to get thursday and friday off?

thanks!

nbd. Tell the recruiter now, though, so it doesn't come as a surprise when you have something due that Thursday or Friday.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:33 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:hey all,

thanks!

nbd. Tell the recruiter now, though, so it doesn't come as a surprise when you have something due that Thursday or Friday.

This. Also, work your ass off at all other times (i.e., don't also take the friday before off for a vacation, leave at 6pm every day the week of your cousin's wedding, etc.).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:34 pm

I took thurs/fri/mon off to go interview 1L summer, but it wasn't a biglaw firm. Was never really as scared as I was going to ask for time off to go to an interview at a big firm in another market...Still gives me nightmares

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I took thurs/fri/mon off to go interview 1L summer, but it wasn't a biglaw firm. Was never really as scared as I was going to ask for time off to go to an interview at a big firm in another market...Still gives me nightmares

Apples and oranges. OP should have nothing to worry about.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I took thurs/fri/mon off to go interview 1L summer, but it wasn't a biglaw firm. Was never really as scared as I was going to ask for time off to go to an interview at a big firm in another market...Still gives me nightmares

Did a similar thing, but just Fri and Mon (1L SA, secondary market) and it was a huge production. They had to meet to discuss it before approving it, assigned official makeup times for me to come in (weekend, killself), etc., and it came up in my final eval. It did lead to a job for 2L so it was worth it, but just wanted to give you a heads up about my experience on that one. Hopefully if you let them know in advance and it's for a family thing you'll be okay.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Did a similar thing, but just Fri and Mon (1L SA, secondary market) and it was a huge production. They had to meet to discuss it before approving it, assigned official makeup times for me to come in (weekend, killself), etc., and it came up in my final eval. It did lead to a job for 2L so it was worth it, but just wanted to give you a heads up about my experience on that one. Hopefully if you let them know in advance and it's for a family thing you'll be okay.

lol what dicks. No one is relying on summers, especially 1Ls, for anything.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:51 pm

Do people not understand that life doesn't stop in the summer?

Weddings are important. Missing one day of SA work will not hurt anyone.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do people not understand that life doesn't stop in the summer?

This, but scaring future SAs with ridiculous anecdotes is much more fun to some people. :roll:

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do people not understand that life doesn't stop in the summer?

Fully correct. There have been a weird number of threads though lately on "Will my firm mind if I do this, now or in the future?" We don't know. Ask them.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:19 pm

wiseowl wrote:

Fully correct. There have been a weird number of threads though lately on "Will my firm mind if I do this, now or in the future?" We don't know. Ask them.

I can understanding not wanting to antagonize anyone by asking here first. Don't underestimate the ass burgers nature of many otherwise successful TLS poasters.

What the f.supp?

Postby What the f.supp? » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:48 pm

I never had a reason to take a SA day off, but several of the others did for various reasons (illness, weddings, etc.) and it didn't seem like a big deal at all. They still got offered. Just take care of your shit with deadlines before leaving.

Return to “Legal Employment”