Federal Government Legal Jobs

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ebw1080

Federal Government Legal Jobs

Postby ebw1080 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:24 pm

Just looking to gather some information. Can anybody who has worked at any of the following (DOJ, USAO, Federal Defender's, etc) as a summer intern tell me what their experience was like? Type of work you did, office culture, etc? Give any recommendations as far as applying? I am a 1L and will be applying to the volunteer inter positions. From what I gather, the paying internships are super competitive and only go to 2L summer interns anyway.

I know this is a rather broad set of questions, but I'm just starting to look into these things and any bit of info is helpful. Thanks a bunch.

Anonymous User

Re: Federal Government Legal Jobs

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:06 pm

Top 5 USAO was a great experience. I would imagine somewhat close to a SA position as you get an assignment, and work independently. Work came from a central assigning attorney or from other AUSAs directly. We worked, but they hooked up with some good connections, lunch with judges, and got to observe court whenever we had the time. The office was very relaxed and casual, people worked well together and most people had a sense of humor. There was not the rigid hierarchy of biglaw. In some cases your school may be able to give you work study money which makes it a homerun for a 1L summer.

npe

Postby npe » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:32 pm

"Top 5" USAO?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:48 pm

Apply early for DOJ, USAO, and some other agencies (SEC branches, maybe?). Dec. 1st or shortly thereafter. If you eventually do biglaw, these will be more helpful than other positions like Federal Defenders, because you'll be exposed to some practice areas that are transferable.

It depends on the office but 95% of people I know who have done fed gov 1L loved it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:19 am

I also worked my 1L summer at a "top 5 USAO" and basically did nothing the entire summer. It looked good on my resume though and I did snag biglaw, so take that as you will.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:40 am

npe wrote:"Top 5" USAO?

DDC, SDNY, ND Ill, CD Cal, EDNY/EDVA

Return to “Legal Employment”