After striking out, are your 2L summer options basically

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Omerta
Posts: 381
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:47 pm

Re: After striking out, are your 2L summer options basically

Postby Omerta » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:05 am

As a fellow central Florida bro, I pm'ed you.

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: After striking out, are your 2L summer options basically

Postby 20121109 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:18 am

The way the words "gay" and "retarded" are used ITT is uncalled for.

OP is banned for a week.

sjedood
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:06 pm

Re: After striking out, are your 2L summer options basically

Postby sjedood » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:22 am

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:The way the words "gay" and "retarded" are used ITT is uncalled for.

OP is banned for a week.

you can do that? Thats harsh.

PM61
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:00 pm

Re: After striking out, are your 2L summer options basically

Postby PM61 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:25 am

sjedood wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:The way the words "gay" and "retarded" are used ITT is uncalled for.

OP is banned for a week.

you can do that? Thats harsh.


yeah especially when the guy is at a fairly important stage in his life and looking for advice :-(

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: After striking out, are your 2L summer options basically

Postby 20121109 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:26 am

PM61 wrote:
sjedood wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:The way the words "gay" and "retarded" are used ITT is uncalled for.

OP is banned for a week.

you can do that? Thats harsh.


yeah especially when the guy is at a fairly important stage in his life and looking for advice :-(


To be fair, he could have easily done it without using any offensive language. Sorry, it's just TLS policy. But I hear you....

ETA: Ban changed to only 24 hours. Please be careful to not use inappropriate language.

User avatar
174
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:03 am

Re: After striking out, are your 2L summer options basically

Postby 174 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:37 am

Drop out and pursue something else.

User avatar
sky7
Posts: 248
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: After striking out, are your 2L summer options basically

Postby sky7 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:47 am

Step 1: Get approved to take the Patent Bar
Step 2: Mass mail a bunch of GP firms with strong IP + IP Boutiques telling them that you are approved to take the patent bar, and will within the next few months.
Step 3: Pass Patent Bar
Step 4: Do well on interviews.
Step 5: Profit.

I'm currently on step 4.

thrillerjesus
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:43 am

Re: After striking out, are your 2L summer options basically

Postby thrillerjesus » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:55 am

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
PM61 wrote:
sjedood wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:The way the words "gay" and "retarded" are used ITT is uncalled for.

OP is banned for a week.

you can do that? Thats harsh.


yeah especially when the guy is at a fairly important stage in his life and looking for advice :-(


To be fair, he could have easily done it without using any offensive language. Sorry, it's just TLS policy. But I hear you....

ETA: Ban changed to only 24 hours. Please be careful to not use inappropriate language.


How is using "gay" and "retarded" in a thread offensive, but having "bitch" in your avatar not? Perhaps we should not punish people for "offensive" language without making clear where the line is. Or just not do it at all, because it's silly and kind of fascist. Because that looks like an absurd double standard to me.

User avatar
Antilles Haven
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:34 am

Re: After striking out, are your 2L summer options basically

Postby Antilles Haven » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:51 am

thrillerjesus wrote:How is using "gay" and "retarded" in a thread offensive, but having "bitch" in your avatar not? Perhaps we should not punish people for "offensive" language without making clear where the line is. Or just not do it at all, because it's silly and kind of fascist. Because that looks like an absurd double standard to me.

That's probably a question to be asked here. But there's a very distinct difference between a word that's offensive in and of itself like "fuck" and a slur that is derogatory and offensive to a specific group of people. The latter is, for good reason, taboo.

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: After striking out, are your 2L summer options basically

Postby MrAnon » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:16 am

The drawback of going the private route is that you risk going to a firm that no future employer heard of and will assume is shitlaw because he/she didn't hear of it. With public sector work you dont risk that. Even if you go to the Amarillo DA's office, well, everyone knows the Amarillo DA's office, in a sense anyway. But the bottom line is this--you should take the best job you can find now. If you think private practice is best for you in the longterm, and thats where you wish to end up, take the private practice job now and dont worry about getting biglaw down the road because the chances are sooooo slim you will get it.

You got to this point with lots of careful planning---carefully taking the LSAT, carefully choosing a school---and things didnt quite work out the way you had hoped. Don't try to think so strategically anymore. Just roll with the best thing in front of you.

kahechsof
Posts: 332
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:26 pm

Re: After striking out, are your 2L summer options basically

Postby kahechsof » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:22 am

Antilles Haven wrote:
thrillerjesus wrote:How is using "gay" and "retarded" in a thread offensive, but having "bitch" in your avatar not? Perhaps we should not punish people for "offensive" language without making clear where the line is. Or just not do it at all, because it's silly and kind of fascist. Because that looks like an absurd double standard to me.

That's probably a question to be asked here. But there's a very distinct difference between a word that's offensive in and of itself like "fuck" and a slur that is derogatory and offensive to a specific group of people. The latter is, for good reason, taboo.


I usually use the term "retarded" when I want to refer to something foolish or idiotic or moronic.
See, I happen to know some people who are fools, idiots, morons, knuckleheads, stupid, and dolts; and I don't want to use their condition as a pejorative.

Luboman411
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:24 pm

Re: After striking out, are your 2L summer options basically

Postby Luboman411 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:22 am

I'm a gay man and found the language the OP used offensive. But likewise, I also agree that there is a double-standard going on if the person who banned the OP also uses "bitch" on her avatar. Some would find that word derogatory to women. For example, I might not personally find the term "[HI I'M THE WORD FILTER. THIS PERSON MIGHT BE A DICK.]" offensive because I want to "empower" myself by taking the word back. Yet I would never think of using it on an avatar name precisely because I am considerate of others' feelings. So the person who censored the OP, keep things consistent.

Besides, I am willing to cut someone who is frustrated and stymied by the job search some slack. It's stressful out there, and what good are websites like these for if not for venting about the roller-coaster ride that is the search for gainful legal employment?

User avatar
Big Shrimpin
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: After striking out, are your 2L summer options basically

Postby Big Shrimpin » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:30 am

sky7 wrote:Step 1: Get approved to take the Patent Bar
Step 2: Mass mail a bunch of GP firms with strong IP + IP Boutiques telling them that you are approved to take the patent bar, and will within the next few months.
Step 3: Pass Patent Bar
Step 4: Do well on interviews.
Step 5: Profit.

I'm currently on step 4.


Good advice. If OP is into patent work, this should be on the list of things to do.

For future reference/current 1Ls, however, do all of this during your 1L summer (or, if you're really feeling ambitious, while you're an 0L). Firms hiring IP doods love that reg #.

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: After striking out, are your 2L summer options basically

Postby 20121109 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:41 am

Luboman411 wrote:I'm a gay man and found the language the OP used offensive. But likewise, I also agree that there is a double-standard going on if the person who banned the OP also uses "bitch" on her avatar. Some would find that word derogatory to women. For example, I might not personally find the term "[HI I'M THE WORD FILTER. THIS PERSON MIGHT BE A DICK.]" offensive because I want to "empower" myself by taking the word back. Yet I would never think of using it on an avatar name precisely because I am considerate of others' feelings. So the person who censored the OP, keep things consistent.

Besides, I am willing to cut someone who is frustrated and stymied by the job search some slack. It's stressful out there, and what good are websites like these for if not for venting about the roller-coaster ride that is the search for gainful legal employment?


I see the irony...and I hear you. I even lowered the ban because I understand how difficult OCI can be. FYI, "The Sweetest Bitch on TLS" is a lame Jersey Shore reference. See Sammie Sweetheart. Try not to read into it anymore than that.

Anyone can use foul language around here, even a lot of mods use it, especially in the lounge. But we do have higher standards in on-topic forums and the terms "gay" or "retarded" to describe what is essentially "shitlaw", could easily be construed as offensive to homosexual and disabled groups. My use of "sweetest bitch," to be a somewhat self-deprecating joke is not the same. In fact, I hoped the term to be seen as oxymoronic, and thus hardly carry the same negative connotations.

If you have anymore problems, please refer to Moderation and Complaint Thread that is stickied in the lounge. I do not want this thread to be derailed.

User avatar
Kabuo
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 am

Re: After striking out, are your 2L summer options basically

Postby Kabuo » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:49 am

"Yeah, but I don't mean "bitches" in a desrespectful way. I mean it as a general word for women." -Riley Freeman

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: After striking out, are your 2L summer options basically

Postby 20121109 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:56 am

Kabuo wrote:"Yeah, but I don't mean "bitches" in a desrespectful way. I mean it as a general word for women." -Riley Freeman


I know this is supposed to be a joke because I love the Boondocks, but again, including that word in my tag to playfully reference a TV show, does not mean that I think all women are bitches.

User avatar
Kabuo
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 am

Re: After striking out, are your 2L summer options basically

Postby Kabuo » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:01 am

Yeah, I know, just couldn't resist. Unfortunately the wikiquote I copied and pasted from misspelled "disrespectful."

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: After striking out, are your 2L summer options basically

Postby Grizz » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:25 am

Typical TLS: useful thread degenerates to garbage.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: After striking out, are your 2L summer options basically

Postby romothesavior » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:35 am

OP, you are a hard science guy at ND on LR with good grades. You should be targeting the IP world hard. I know people up and down the grade curve at WUSTL who targeted IP jobs and got them. Did you not do this? You say you didn't apply to any IP shops. What about other IP jobs? Are you selling yourself properly? I obviously don't know the full situation, but I feel like a person in your position should have a job right now. It makes me think that you're either 1) not marketing yourself well or 2) not a very good interviewer. The firm jobs are drying up fast, but if you can attack it in the right way, you might still be able to get something.

User avatar
Indifferent
Posts: 234
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:04 pm

Re: After striking out, are your 2L summer options basically

Postby Indifferent » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:39 am

OP, if you want Florida firms, do this:

    1. Go to http://www.martindale.com
    2. Search Tools>>Law Firms
    3. State/Province = FL >> Search
    4. Research/apply to every firm with 25-149 attorneys - a lot of these firms hire off cycle
    5. Profit

If you can attend ANY networking events in your target market, DO IT.

I know plenty of people who got picked up by 2-20 attorney firms just by doing a bit of networking legwork - some of these firms weren't even planning on having intens and have now extended those same friends job offers.

The 2L job search hardly stops at OCI. Granted, getting biglaw now is unlikely, though not impossible if you can land a solid clerkship.

Good luck.
Last edited by Indifferent on Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: After striking out, are your 2L summer options basically

Postby romothesavior » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:40 am

Grizz wrote:With your grades, you gun for AIII shit in central FL.

Also this. It may be the one way you can salvage your biglaw hopes.

c3pO4
Posts: 835
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: After striking out, are your 2L summer options basically

Postby c3pO4 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:51 pm

romothesavior wrote:OP, you are a hard science guy at ND on LR with good grades. You should be targeting the IP world hard. I know people up and down the grade curve at WUSTL who targeted IP jobs and got them. Did you not do this? You say you didn't apply to any IP shops. What about other IP jobs? Are you selling yourself properly? I obviously don't know the full situation, but I feel like a person in your position should have a job right now. It makes me think that you're either 1) not marketing yourself well or 2) not a very good interviewer. The firm jobs are drying up fast, but if you can attack it in the right way, you might still be able to get something.


This. Fell off my seat when I heard OP nonchalantly say "didn't really target IP firms." This is why OP is struggling. If you are a biochem, everybody outside IP wonders what you are doing. Also, IP firms will swallow you up. I know plenty of median from below notre dame with IP and great biglaw offers. You better have applied toe very IP boutique in America by tomorrow morning, or else you are completely crazy. ITE ditch your dreams and just sell yourself effectively.

This is 100% something that could've been fixed by smarter application strategy.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: After striking out, are your 2L summer options basically

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:53 pm

Given that I am in a similar position as OP, is there some broader advice for us 2L (non-IP) people who struck out?

For example, are RAs, judicial internships, PI internships, etc. frowned upon?

More specific to me (and OP a bit), I actually still have a chance at clerkships as of now. What employment would look best on clerkship applications for those who struck out?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: After striking out, are your 2L summer options basically

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Given that I am in a similar position as OP, is there some broader advice for us 2L (non-IP) people who struck out?

For example, are RAs, judicial internships, PI internships, etc. frowned upon?

More specific to me (and OP a bit), I actually still have a chance at clerkships as of now. What employment would look best on clerkship applications for those who struck out?


I'm biased in favor of judicial internships because that's what I did and ended up with a clerkship after. In theory it's probably the best thing to do once you've struck out, but I'm not sure how much it actually helps in reality.

I wouldn't RA for a summer, it's more of a thing to do during the school year.

zomginternets
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: After striking out, are your 2L summer options basically

Postby zomginternets » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Given that I am in a similar position as OP, is there some broader advice for us 2L (non-IP) people who struck out?

For example, are RAs, judicial internships, PI internships, etc. frowned upon?

More specific to me (and OP a bit), I actually still have a chance at clerkships as of now. What employment would look best on clerkship applications for those who struck out?


I'm biased in favor of judicial internships because that's what I did and ended up with a clerkship after. In theory it's probably the best thing to do once you've struck out, but I'm not sure how much it actually helps in reality.

I wouldn't RA for a summer, it's more of a thing to do during the school year.


Slight thread derail--do you feel your internship contributed to your getting a clerkship? If so, how? PM me if you don't want to openly discuss/derail thread further.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.