After striking out, are your 2L summer options basically

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
flcath

After striking out, are your 2L summer options basically

Postby flcath » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:33 am

the same random fake shit that people did during their 1L summer? (Serious Q)

As in: (1) work for a small firm for either no pay or little pay, with no offer at the end of the summer, (2) research assistant, (3) insultingly titled "internship" with public defender/DA/federal judge, or (4) something else that's stupid and gay.

Is this shit all the same in the eyes of employers down the line? I've heard public defenders and prosecutors prefer for you to have a history working for them; would the few biglaw employers that seek out 3Ls prefer shitty private sector work (or maybe work for a judge) to prosecutor/PD work?

Tyia!
Last edited by flcath on Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrAnon

Re: After striking out, are your 2L summer options basically

Postby MrAnon » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:34 am

would the few biglaw employers that seek out 3Ls prefer shitty private sector work (or maybe work for a judge) to prosecutor/PD work?

They wouldn't care

flcath

Postby flcath » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:43 am

MrAnon wrote:
would the few biglaw employers that seek out 3Ls prefer shitty private sector work (or maybe work for a judge) to prosecutor/PD work?

They wouldn't care

This tends to be my gut instinct as well. I talked to a really nice headhunter today though, and he seemed to think that they'd view *any* private sector work >> public sector work.

But the examples he kept using were retarded. He'd be like (no joke) "even if you can only land a job with a smaller, more regional firm, like say Akerman Senterfitt in Tampa, that could help you get a foot in the door somewhere else..." [Akerman is a regional biglaw firm from which I've been rejected--one at which I'd sacrifice 2+ fingers for an offer... far from the fallback option the context implies.]

I kept correcting him, but he persisted in using examples like this. I wanted to be like "look dude, what if it comes down to getting coffee for The Law Office of Corey B. Trotz?" because I think that's more what I'm looking at.

Mavraides87

Postby Mavraides87 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:44 am

Remind me again, are you on LR at ND?

I don't know much, but I would hustle for any private sector job if biglaw is the goal.

flcath

Postby flcath » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:50 am

Last edited by flcath on Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:01 am

flcath wrote:
Mavraides87 wrote:Remind me again, are you on LR at ND?

I don't know much, but I would hustle for any private sector job if biglaw is the goal.

I am on LR, and I have a biochem background (I didn't apply to any pure IP places... I've heard they might still be hiring, though).

The advice I'm getting from CSO at this stage is so shitty and vague. Is there a difference b/t what I have to do now and the 1L summer paradigm of "just get something to put on your resume, bro"?

same situation at a peer school. They gave me a list of about 100 mid sized firms, I've called around and I've got an interview or two, some pay between 1,000-1,500 a week, and a few I would prefer over biglaw if I get the chance. I'd rather make $90,000 and work 60 hours a week than $160,000 and work 90 hours a week anyway.

flcath

Postby flcath » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
flcath wrote:

I am on LR, and I have a biochem background (I didn't apply to any pure IP places... I've heard they might still be hiring, though).

The advice I'm getting from CSO at this stage is so shitty and vague. Is there a difference b/t what I have to do now and the 1L summer paradigm of "just get something to put on your resume, bro"?

same situation at a peer school. They gave me a list of about 100 mid sized firms, I've called around and I've got an interview or two, some pay between 1,000-1,500 a week, and a few I would prefer over biglaw if I get the chance. I'd rather make $90,000 and work 60 hours a week than $160,000 and work 90 hours a week anyway.

In your market? Are you blessed enough to be 'from' the place where you go to school? Because I'm from TN and FL and I go to school at ND... trying to convince Grand Rapids/Cincinnati firms of my passion for rust belt culture has been painful. It's so fake that my voice kinda sinks and gets rushed when I have to talk about it at CBs.

And our CSO certainly doesn't know anything about the TN/FL midlaw market.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:20 am

flcath wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
flcath wrote:

I'm not from my market, which I think is what killed me at OCI. Have you tried applying to any Florida firms? That's where I'm from and there are a handful in Jax/Orlando.

In your market? Are you blessed enough to be 'from' the place where you go to school? Because I'm from TN and FL and I go to school at ND... trying to convince Grand Rapids/Cincinnati firms of my passion for rust belt culture has been painful. It's so fake that my voice kinda sinks and gets rushed when I have to talk about it at CBs.

And our CSO certainly doesn't know anything about the TN/FL midlaw market.

gmail

Postby gmail » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:22 am

Sounds like you're in a really gay and retarded situation.

flcath

Postby flcath » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:Sounds like you're in a really gay and retarded situation.

It happens, my anonymous friend. It happens.

gmail

Postby gmail » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:47 am

flcath wrote:

Now-- shot in the dark here-- but maybe the situation became so utterly gay and retarded because the part of you that chooses to use words like 'gay' and 'retarded' as such somehow seeps through during your interviews and--still shooting in the dark here--maybe the interviewers are a little put off? Looks like you're on the fast track for doc review.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
flcath wrote:

Now-- shot in the dark here-- but maybe the situation became so utterly gay and retarded because the part of you that chooses to use words like 'gay' and 'retarded' as such somehow seeps through during your interviews and--still shooting in the dark here--maybe the interviewers are a little put off? Looks like you're on the fast track for doc review.

Anon does not exist for you to be a douche to other douches.

flcath

Postby flcath » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:Now-- shot in the dark here-- but maybe the situation became so utterly gay and retarded because the part of you that chooses to use words like 'gay' and 'retarded' as such somehow seeps through during your interviews and--still shooting in the dark here--maybe the interviewers are a little put off?

Could be. I think it's prolly one of the weaker theories--down there with the typo on my cover letters and my arrest history--but I can't rule anything out.

Anonymous User wrote:Looks like you're on the fast track for doc review.

Nah, I'd do post bacc -> med school way, way before I'd work as a K lawyer.

gmail

Postby gmail » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:12 am

flcath wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Now-- shot in the dark here-- but maybe the situation became so utterly gay and retarded because the part of you that chooses to use words like 'gay' and 'retarded' as such somehow seeps through during your interviews and--still shooting in the dark here--maybe the interviewers are a little put off?

Could be. I think it's prolly one of the weaker theories--down there with the typo on my cover letters and my arrest history--but I can't rule anything out.

Ah yes, the traditional BA -> JD -> post-bac -> MD route. By the time you finish maybe 'gay' and 'retarded' will be back in!

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:17 am

flcath

Postby flcath » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
flcath wrote:

Ah yes, the traditional BA -> JD -> post-bac -> MD route. By the time you finish maybe 'gay' and 'retarded' will be back in!

That would entail a very regressive society.

I am concerned about my age under that approach, though.

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:39 am

Have you begun gunning for the clerkship yet?

flcath

Postby flcath » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:44 am

goodolgil wrote:Have you begun gunning for the clerkship yet?

No, not yet. I was shocked to find out that some judges (11th cir.) are already interviewing; talk about "off-plan," Jesus.

I'll do it, but I'm worried (a) my arrest history makes me auto-ding, and (b) I didn't get BL; why should I think that I'll get Art. III?

Antilles Haven

Postby Antilles Haven » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:48 am

More broadly related to this topic: I think it would be a good idea to put a master thread together (sticky maybe?) regarding what to do for 2L's who strike out at OCI.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:17 am

I am not too familiar with this, but I know one of my classmates 1L was studying and taking the patent bar. I am sure you are eligible to take it and it might not be a bad idea to make you more marketable to small IP firms.

Not sure if you are interested in IP, but if you developed/showed an interest you could probably make yourself a lot more marketable. Just something to think about, which I am sure you already have.

Good luck man...and if you do end up getting more interviews with firms, might be worth doing a practice interview. You can really screw up interviews by having a bad answer to a reoccurring question (for example, so why do you want to be in STL?). Have a friend or CSO help you carefully word some of your tougher questions.

And as far as I can tell, the bulk of "1L type employment" taken over a 2L summer results in you graduating, taking the bar, and resuming your full-time job search after you pass. There are exceptions and I could be wrong...disclaimer: current 2L and not an expert.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:42 am

With your grades, you gun for AIII shit in central FL.

flcath

Postby flcath » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am not too familiar with this, but I know one of my classmates 1L was studying and taking the patent bar. I am sure you are eligible to take it and it might not be a bad idea to make you more marketable to small IP firms.

Not sure if you are interested in IP, but if you developed/showed an interest you could probably make yourself a lot more marketable. Just something to think about, which I am sure you already have.

Good luck man...and if you do end up getting more interviews with firms, might be worth doing a practice interview. You can really screw up interviews by having a bad answer to a reoccurring question (for example, so why do you want to be in STL?). Have a friend or CSO help you carefully word some of your tougher questions.

And as far as I can tell, the bulk of "1L type employment" taken over a 2L summer results in you graduating, taking the bar, and resuming your full-time job search after you pass. There are exceptions and I could be wrong...disclaimer: current 2L and not an expert.

Appreciate the input, brother. Honestly I haven't done enough with applying to IP firms in general, and really haven't looked at taking the patent bar at all... they say you don't need to do it early (and if you're in lit, you don't ever need to do it), but I agree w/ you that it certainly seems like it'd be a good selling point. I'll get on it.

Grizz wrote:With your grades, you gun for AIII shit in central FL.

That would be I-fucking-deal.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:20 am

flcath wrote:

As a fellow central FL bro, feel free to PM man.

flcath

Postby flcath » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:46 am

Grizz wrote:
flcath wrote:

As a fellow central FL bro, feel free to PM man.

Done and done.

zomginternets

Postby zomginternets » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:09 am

In Los Angeles, there are several biglaw firms I know of looking for 2L's for IP law that have hard science backgrounds. As in, e-mailing our CSO as recently as 2 weeks ago to encourage those types of people to apply for summer positions. I would think your hard science background is a huge plus, and I'm surprised you're having difficulty finding an offer.

Return to “Legal Employment”