At What Point Do You Call and Say It's Time To Decide

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Padimud

At What Point Do You Call and Say It's Time To Decide

Postby Padimud » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:53 pm

I have 2 callbacks that are now 4 and 5 weeks in the past respectively at mid-size to large firms (40 to 120). Every fourteen days or so I e-mail reminding them of my existence and am told that I will be hearing news very soon. What does that mean? How long do I give them before I completely give up hope? Or should I have giving up hope already? Thanks.

mrloblaw

Re: At What Point Do You Call and Say It's Time To Decide

Postby mrloblaw » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:57 pm

If you don't have any other offers, you don't "call and say it's time to decide." You don't antagonize them for any reason.

As to giving up hope, maybe not, but you might want to be thinking about other options.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:00 pm

I know some 2Ls here who were getting offers last week. Actually, it was just one. But i mean....? yeah

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:02 pm

I got an offer about ten days ago and I did the callback in the beginning of September. Midsize firms, especially in smaller markets, tend to be on a different schedule.

Padimud

Postby Padimud » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got an offer about ten days ago and I did the callback in the beginning of September. Midsize firms, especially in smaller markets, tend to be on a different schedule.

How often should I be in contact with them without being too annoying? I need a strategy to assure that I am still on their mind without being annoying or a pain?

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:05 pm

Padimud wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I got an offer about ten days ago and I did the callback in the beginning of September. Midsize firms, especially in smaller markets, tend to be on a different schedule.

How often should I be in contact with them without being too annoying? I need a strategy to assure that I am still on their mind without being annoying or a pain?

I definitely wouldn't make contact any more than what you're doing now. Your interest is assumed and there's even an argument to be made for never making contact post callback, except to send a brief thank you, for fear of appearing too desperate or annoying. But that's easier said than done of course. If I were you, I'd also start mass mailing now even if in somewhat limited form. That might make you feel a little better by getting your mind off the waiting game and, who knows, you might even get something out of it. In this unpredictable econ environment you never know...

lawschoolgrapedme

Postby lawschoolgrapedme » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:51 am

its probably time when you dont want the offer. Who wants a pushy summer associate that is offer-less? Now, if you have another offer and are about to hit 28 days, then you should call.

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:40 pm

Emailing every two weeks is already too much. Nobody forgets about you, if they haven't reached back out to you it's because there is no offer to give. If they decide to make you an offer, they'll obviously let you know.

So many people I've talked to have this attitude that "reaching" out makes the difference and all it does is make you look like immature, unprofessional, desperate and pushy.

Name one time when "following up" was the difference in getting the job.

TL;DR Version-- You really think they forgot about you?

TL;DR Version 2-- They owe you nothing. Not even a rejection.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:41 pm

c3pO4 wrote:Name one time when "following up" was the difference in getting the job.

I generally agree with what you said. But one time I followed up a month after an interview with a short email expressing my interest in the position, and I got the offer the following week. Probably was not "the difference" in getting the job. A friend of mine in LS reached out several times to a small firm after months without an offer. She got the job.

I don't think reaching out will make a difference in most cases, but I think it can be done without looking immature/unprofessional/etc. Expressing interest in the job may be viewed favorably by some.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:13 pm

Is it normal for HR to not even respond to you? saying you are on a waitlist or sorry? It s been 8 weeks for me and so far i emailed an interviewer about a month ago and I emailed HR last week regarding whether or not there is a timeline.

So far there hasn't been a response or rejection letter.

Postby 071816 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:18 pm

I think it's time for this:

--ImageRemoved--

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it normal for HR to not even respond to you? saying you are on a waitlist or sorry? It s been 8 weeks for me and so far i emailed an interviewer about a month ago and I emailed HR last week regarding whether or not there is a timeline.

So far there hasn't been a response or rejection letter.

I think it's fair to call the HR person, especially if they gave you their card at any point. I wouldn't bother lawyers like that, but a quick call to a recruitment person isn't a faux pas, I think. I did this with the firm I'll be at this summer, and they were very informative re: when the hiring committee was meeting, when I should check in again if I hadn't heard, etc.

I also tend to prefer phone to email when possible, as I'm deathly afraid of typos, but that's just me.

Return to “Legal Employment”