Undergraduate Major(s)? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
LawSchoolChampion

Bronze

Undergraduate Major(s)?

Post by LawSchoolChampion » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:38 am

I have been considering declaring a major in Interdisciplinary Studies (IS) in addition to a Music Composition degree.

My question:

Would an employer prefer 3 minors (business, legal studies, and writing and rhetoric), or, would they prefer an Interdisciplinary Studies degree focusing in Commerce and Public Affairs with a minor in writing and rhetoric?

I doubt my Music Comp. degree will carry much weight with employers, so I am curious as to what will look better at OC - any information is helpful!

Thank you!

de5igual

Silver

Re: Undergraduate Major(s)?

Post by de5igual » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:40 am

They won't really give a shit unless your major was a hard science (for IP)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:40 am

LawSchoolChampion wrote:I have been considering declaring a major in Interdisciplinary Studies (IS) in addition to a Music Composition degree.

My question:

Would an employer prefer 3 minors (business, legal studies, and writing and rhetoric), or, would they prefer an Interdisciplinary Studies degree focusing in Commerce and Public Affairs with a minor in writing and rhetoric?

I doubt my Music Comp. degree will carry much weight with employers, so I am curious as to what will look better at OC - any information is helpful!

Thank you!
Unless your major is a hard science and you want to do IP law or is economics and you want to do Antitrust or is accounting and you want to do Tax, legal employers will not care one iota.

LawSchoolChampion

Bronze

Post by LawSchoolChampion » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:41 am

Okay - That's what I thought, but I wanted to make sure.

Thank you guys.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:54 pm

l wouldn't bother taking legal studies courses either.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:52 pm

For purposes of selling yourself in a screener-type setting, even if the employer ultimately does not care, it will be an easier narrative for you if you do the interdisciplinary study as opposed to three minors. This is more important than you might think.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:59 pm

A big thing about OCI is making yourself seem different than the other guy. Having a music composition major probably makes that guaranteed when it seems like most everyone in law school studied Poli Sci, Philosophy, Econ or some combination of those 3.

But also - just take whatever major will help you get the best grades. Then you can get into a better school and get more job opportunities. I took my 3.9 from a staTTTe university and turned it into BigLaw T14 and converted that to V10. Did I learn much with my liberal arts degree? Perhaps. But it was a means to an end.

LawSchoolChampion

Bronze

Post by LawSchoolChampion » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:47 pm

So it sounds like the IDS degree will offer more opportunities.

Bump to confirm with more opinions. :)

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:10 pm

LawSchoolChampion wrote:So it sounds like the IDS degree will offer more opportunities.

Bump to confirm with more opinions. :)
Relative to the three minors, yes. But bear in mind that it's not something that is going to help you at all for admissions.

leobowski

Silver

Post by leobowski » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:32 pm

Music Comp and rhetoric are somewhat cool/interesting. Don't worry about froof-a-doof stuff like legal studies and interdisciplinary studies. Those won't matter one bit. At all.

Focus on getting good grades, studying for the LSAT, and getting into a good school w/ scholarships.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”