Does writing onto Law Review help at all?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Does writing onto Law Review help at all?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:57 pm

Now that legal hiring is mostly done, do you think people who wrote on did better than their grades alone would have gotten them?

I only have a few data points, but they all suggest that people got approximately what they would have anyway (lower T14).

Anyone think it's a game-changer?

deebs

Re: Does writing onto Law Review help at all?

Postby deebs » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:16 pm

not in my experiences - grades were still deciding factor and top quarter wasn't enough from wustl

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:30 pm

It appears that top 15% without a journal fares far better than top 30% and LR. Assuming you have top thirdish grades, LR will get you a number of screeners that you wouldn't have gotten otherwise. But when it comes to call backs and offers, firms will choose the kid with better grades (interviewing skills etc. being equal). But if you're a really good interviewer or have good work experience, that first look at the screener may be all you need to overcome lower grades.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:Now that legal hiring is mostly done, do you think people who wrote on did better than their grades alone would have gotten them?

I only have a few data points, but they all suggest that people got approximately what they would have anyway (lower T14).

Anyone think it's a game-changer?

I outperformed my grades and I attribute it largely to law review. I was outside the top 1/3rd last year at BU and got a few offers while people top 10% w/o journal didn't get anything.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:31 am

Geist13 wrote:But if you're a really good interviewer or have good work experience, that first look at the screener may be all you need to overcome lower grades.

A lot of people really underestimate this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:33 am

LR makes a huge difference at my school in terms of interviews/hiring; doesn't seem to matter how you get on it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:21 am

Some combination of law review write-on, work experience, and interview skills got me multiple V100 offers in DC - despite below-median grades at my T14.

Don't know that you can parse any of those factors out, but it seemed like having LR on my record made some firms willing to give me the benefit of the doubt on grades.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:30 pm

It helped me tremendously. It was the best signal that I was a very good writer. Plus, keep in mind that firms can put Law Review on your firm bio, but I have never seen grades on there.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:39 pm

showNprove wrote:It helped me tremendously. It was the best signal that I was a very good writer. Plus, keep in mind that firms can put Law Review on your firm bio, but I have never seen grades on there.

Not in GPA form but graduation honors go up.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:00 pm

IAFG wrote:
showNprove wrote:It helped me tremendously. It was the best signal that I was a very good writer. Plus, keep in mind that firms can put Law Review on your firm bio, but I have never seen grades on there.

Not in GPA form but graduation honors go up.

At certain schools, e.g. UVA, there's no honor except for coif, so your GPA's probably not going to go up if you didn't grade onto LR.

Return to “Legal Employment”