UVA 2L with firm job lined up taking questions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
PM61

Re: UVA 2L with firm job lined up taking questions

Postby PM61 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:37 pm

c3pO4 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What other schools in the south are looked at as better than UVa?

Duke has a good reputation, but is more national and also elicits some sports-related hatred at times. Emory is often referred to as the Harvard of the South. If you are in Atlanta, Emory gets ooh's and ah's.

Vanderbilt, Rice, Wake Forest and Ole Miss are also sometimes referred to as the "Harvard of the South"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:24 am

PM61 wrote:
c3pO4 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What other schools in the south are looked at as better than UVa?

Duke has a good reputation, but is more national and also elicits some sports-related hatred at times. Emory is often referred to as the Harvard of the South. If you are in Atlanta, Emory gets ooh's and ah's.

Vanderbilt, Rice, Wake Forest and Ole Miss are also sometimes referred to as the "Harvard of the South"

i've only heard duke referred to as the harvard of the south

Pato_09

Postby Pato_09 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:32 am

Ole Miss?

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:12 am

Fergie and Beyonce really derailed this thread.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:22 am

Worked in a Southern Secondary Market last summer, here's my take (TX schools not included):

UVA/Vandy
Duke
Emory/UNC/UGA/Bama
Wake/UF/Tenn/FSU

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:Worked in a Southern Secondary Market last summer, here's my take (TX schools not included):

UVA/Vandy
Duke
Emory/UNC/UGA/Bama
Wake/UF/Tenn/FSU

Egregious Vandy trolling.

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:Worked in a Southern Secondary Market last summer, here's my take (TX schools not included):

UVA/Vandy
Duke
Emory/UNC/UGA/Bama
Wake/UF/Tenn/FSU

Swap the Vandy and Duke part and it'd be more accurate. I'd agree with those who say UVA being slightly better than Duke too, at least for the South.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:31 am

c3pO4 wrote:

UVA/Vandy
Duke
Emory/UNC/UGA/Bama
Wake/UF/Tenn/FSU

Even more lulz at the idea that Wake is below UGA and equal to ... FSU

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Addition: To respond to the user who just posted above me. Welcome to law school. Firms DO care about you spotting a few more issues and being top 10% as opposed to top 1/3. You may not like it but that is the game we play in law school. Its a curve, you're on it, and if you don't end up high enough your awesome personality and intelligence may not make up for it.

The point of what I said clearly went over your head. In fact, what you are saying basically strengthened the actual point of my post: awesome personality, as you describe it, and other softs are highly unlikely to make up for losing at the law school game (ie the forced curve) at the large vault NYC/DC/etc. firms. But at secondary market firms this is oftentimes not the case for someone from that secondary market, a top 14 in that region, and strong personality/interviewing skills. This is why I recommended in my earlier posts attending a top 14 in your region and targeting your home secondary market for people who have that background. I'm not even sure why you posted that comment.

I don't want to derail this thread anymore but to quickly reply, I was responding to your third paragraph in which you say firms should know its dumb to pick top 10% guy as opposed to top 1/3 guy. I am not disagreeing with your point that the previous poster did not prove that firms care about personality by taking a top 1/3 over a top 10% guy, but responding to:

"For goodness sake the top 1/3 person might have spotted 5 fewer issues on two exams and thus gotten two B+s whereas the top 10 percent guy spotted those extra 5 on one exam and got an A-. Even many elite firms know that it's ridiculous to pick the latter over the former purely based on that. "

My point is that the firms largely DO make selections based on rank (cut-offs and whatnot). I took this section of your post to be you stating that you think its dumb that firms do this. Maybe I misread that part. If I did, we are just talking past each other.

I agree with you that softs do not play a significant role unless you already pass a grade threshold. Once you rise above the firm's floor GPA/rank then softs and whatnot come into play but you have to get the grades to get the interview in the first place.

+1. I hate when people say stuff like "they only spotted like 5 more issuez on examz!" It matters. It shows that you are better at law school, whether from truly researching what matters (like Arrow did) and not treating law school like UG or just being naturally more gifted than your classmates. You could be a smart dude just not doing well on exams, granted. But you really can't be a dumb person crushing the curve.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:00 pm

los blancos wrote:
c3pO4 wrote:

UVA/Vandy
Duke
Emory/UNC/UGA/Bama
Wake/UF/Tenn/FSU

Even more lulz at the idea that Wake is below UGA and equal to ... FSU

Allow me to clarify:

From my limited experience, UVA and Vandy are looked at higher than Duke kids in the South. (Again, based on anecdotal evidence) VULS is higher than Duke because more Vanderbilt kids choose to stay in the South; while Duke and Vandy have similar class sizes, about 10% more of Vandy's class stays in the South. In my opinion, Vandy has a stronger presence and thus enjoys a better reputation than Duke.

As far as the Wake comment, I don't think that Wake can compete with Emory, UNC, and Georgia in most markets. Wake has a great presence in Charlotte, but almost nothing in any of the other Southern markets. It doesn't mean that Wake isn't as good of a school as the others, but I don't think it has as strong of a reputation as Emory/UNC/UGA.

As far as the bottom group of schools (now amended to Bama/Wake/Florida/Tennessee/FSU), those schools all do decently well in their own regional markets. Obviously, Bama is going to do better than all the others in Birmingham; Wake in Charlotte; Tennessee in Nashville, etc. This is a complete educated guess, but I would probably say that these schools enjoy similar reputations in markets in their own states and surrounding states.

IrwinM.Fletcher

Postby IrwinM.Fletcher » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:24 pm

UNC's reach is exponentially more geographically isolated than Wake due to their strict preference for in-state applicants. This is why Wake has placed better in NLJ250 than the Heels in recent years by significant amounts.

Basically, your anecdotal rankings are, ummmm, anecdotal, and not supported by broad data of any sort. Of course Vandy might be better regarded than Duke in your firm's office in a secondary market (especially if it was Nashville or Memphis)- that doesn't mean it's the norm in the majority of southern secondaries.

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:37 pm

Agreed with above posters at Vandy being ranked too high. Also, let's dispense with the ties.

In the South, it goes:

UVA
Duke
Emory
Vandy
UGA
Wake
UF
Bama
Tenn
FSU

HTH.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:39 pm

c3pO4 wrote:Agreed with above posters at Vandy being ranked too high. Also, let's dispense with the ties.

In the South, it goes:

UVA
Duke
Emory
Vandy
UGA
Wake
UF
Bama
Tenn
FSU

HTH.

Egregious anti-UNC trolling.

The only five schools in the South that should be considered in this conversation are UVA, UNC, Duke, Vandy, and Emory. The only three law schools are UVA, Duke, and Vandy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:41 pm

IrwinM.Fletcher wrote:UNC's reach is exponentially more geographically isolated than Wake due to their strict preference for in-state applicants. This is why Wake has placed better in NLJ250 than the Heels in recent years by significant amounts.

Basically, your anecdotal rankings are, ummmm, anecdotal, and not supported by broad data of any sort. Of course Vandy might be better regarded than Duke in your firm's office in a secondary market (especially if it was Nashville or Memphis)- that doesn't mean it's the norm in the majority of southern secondaries.

http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/composite.pdf

I don't know if this chart is accurate, but if so, there is certainly evidence that UNC > Wake.

c3pO4 wrote:Agreed with above posters at Vandy being ranked too high. Also, let's dispense with the ties.
In the South, it goes:
UVA
Duke
Emory
Vandy
UGA
Wake
UF
Bama
Tenn
FSU

HTH.

Agreed on most parts, except Emory being higher than Vandy. Would also put UNC in there immediately above or below UGA.

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:56 pm

Yet another law school cock measuring contest. :roll:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:07 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:Yet another law school cock measuring contest. :roll:

Welcome to TLS, dude.

IrwinM.Fletcher

Postby IrwinM.Fletcher » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
IrwinM.Fletcher wrote:UNC's reach is exponentially more geographically isolated than Wake due to their strict preference for in-state applicants. This is why Wake has placed better in NLJ250 than the Heels in recent years by significant amounts.

http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/composite.pdf

I don't know if this chart is accurate, but if so, there is certainly evidence that UNC > Wake.

In the South, it goes:
UVA
Duke
Emory
Vandy
UGA
Wake
UF
Bama
Tenn
FSU

HTH.

Agreed on most parts, except Emory being higher than Vandy. Would also put UNC in there immediately above or below UGA.

Here are the most recent NLJ250 employment statistics:

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... slreturn=1

Wake = 15%, UNC = 11%

Regional numbers reflecting a higher concentration for UNC in a a particular city merely reflect that, due largely to self-selection, its placement is more geographically limited. If you want to work in North Carolina, UNC may carry the tiniest smidge more weight; if you want outside NC, then Wake likely carries a smidge more weight.

Regardless, the guy's assertion that Wake drops anywhere near as far as to FSU/UF/etc is simply retarded and supported by nothing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:54 pm

What the hell happened to my thread after I left?????

Return to “Legal Employment”