How much does being 5'9 or below (male) hurt you in law? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mrloblaw

Silver

Re: How much does being 5'9 or below (male) hurt you in law?

Post by mrloblaw » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:28 pm

shmoo597 wrote:
blowhard wrote: I agree that in general taller people make more money. I still don't think it translates enough to have an impact. However, I highly disagree that height has anything to do with effectiveness in court. Whether before a jury or not. Anyone who thinks so has clearly never spent much time there. Also, effect ≠ causation.
You're completely wrong. Trial lawyers are very conscious of how they look and how they appear. Their role is to persuade, and a huge part of that is connecting with the jury, and a huge part of that is looking like someone the jury wants to connect with. That's why trial lawyers pay such close attention to their grooming, wardrobe, style, gestures, tone of voice, and general appearance. They can't control their height, but that doesn't mean that height is irrelevant to how a jury perceives them. If tall people are more successful in life generally (and they are), my instinct is that the effect is exaggerated in a courtroom where appearance is so central to winning.
I think it's more important that the jury identifies with the lawyer than that they want to shag him. How many people in the jury box do you think look like supermodels?

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:30 pm

mrloblaw wrote:
shmoo597 wrote:
blowhard wrote: I agree that in general taller people make more money. I still don't think it translates enough to have an impact. However, I highly disagree that height has anything to do with effectiveness in court. Whether before a jury or not. Anyone who thinks so has clearly never spent much time there. Also, effect ≠ causation.
You're completely wrong. Trial lawyers are very conscious of how they look and how they appear. Their role is to persuade, and a huge part of that is connecting with the jury, and a huge part of that is looking like someone the jury wants to connect with. That's why trial lawyers pay such close attention to their grooming, wardrobe, style, gestures, tone of voice, and general appearance. They can't control their height, but that doesn't mean that height is irrelevant to how a jury perceives them. If tall people are more successful in life generally (and they are), my instinct is that the effect is exaggerated in a courtroom where appearance is so central to winning.
I think it's more important that the jury identifies with the lawyer than that they want to shag him. How many people in the jury box do you think look like supermodels?
This. I didn't see one hot juror all summer. The few that came in always got struck for one reason or another. (Coming off as judgmental, entitled, airhead, etc.)

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:38 pm

5'9"= good
5'8"= CONGRATS! YOU'RE FUCKED!

monkey85

Bronze

Post by monkey85 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:40 pm

how much does it hurt you?

It hurts so much - but it hurts so good!

TheFriendlyBarber

Bronze

Post by TheFriendlyBarber » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:20 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
shmoo597 wrote:"The truth is, tall people do make more money. They make $789 more per inch per year."
Average penis size is around 4.5-5 inches. Any info on how much more per inch people with big dicks make?
I'm not sure how much money an extra inch will get you, but conversely, money is known to buy you inches. In the words of Mark Cuban, "for every billion dollars I have, my dick gets 10 inches longer."

http://deadspin.com/171824/mark-cuban-w ... fact-he-is

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cjw55

New

Post by cjw55 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:07 pm

Being 5'9 or shorter shouldn't make for much of a disadvantage. On the other hand, those lawyers who are unfortunate enough to be 6'4 or taller will likely have restricted exit options from Biglaw, as lateraling to ninja groups with those kind of stats can be quite hard I have heard.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:11 pm

James Madison.
/thread

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:18 pm

Obviously male height matters in law. It's why US News is including it along with LSAT and GPA for the 2012 rankings. 6'4 median or say goodbye to the T14.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:20 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:Obviously male height matters in law. It's why US News is including it along with LSAT and GPA for the 2012 rankings. 6'4 median or say goodbye to the T14.
How tall is the Biebs?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TheFriendlyBarber

Bronze

Post by TheFriendlyBarber » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:28 pm

If your height bothers you then it may very well hurt you in law life.

Be comfortable in your own skin--be confident--and not only will people take you seriously, but they will gravitate toward you and follow you as well.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:30 pm

OP, try growing some balls.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:32 pm

TheFriendlyBarber wrote:If your height bothers you then it may very well hurt you in law life.

Be comfortable in your own skin--be confident--and not only will people take you seriously, but they will gravitate toward you and follow you as well.
If you're small, you don't have a strong gravitational pull

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:45 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
TheFriendlyBarber wrote:If your height bothers you then it may very well hurt you in law life.

TITCR. Basically, shut it shorties.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TheFriendlyBarber

Bronze

Post by TheFriendlyBarber » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:53 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:

Small, yes. But short =/= small. This short man's (LinkRemoved) gravitational pull will obliterate your lanky ass.
Last edited by TheFriendlyBarber on Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:53 pm

TheFriendlyBarber wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

Bullshit. This short man's (LinkRemoved) gravitational pull will obliterate your lanky ass.
Nice straw man. I said small, not short

TheFriendlyBarber

Bronze

Post by TheFriendlyBarber » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:55 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
TheFriendlyBarber wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

Bullshit. This short man's (LinkRemoved) gravitational pull will obliterate your lanky ass.
Nice straw man. I said small, not short
short =/= small. My fat man just ate your straw man. Tough shit.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:59 pm

TheFriendlyBarber wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote: Nice straw man. I said small, not short
you literally just agreed with me

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:59 pm

You guys just made me lol.

TheFriendlyBarber

Bronze

Post by TheFriendlyBarber » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:11 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
TheFriendlyBarber wrote:
I can't believe we're taking this tangent so seriously. :D But what the hell. Yes, I agree that bodies small in mass have a lesser gravitational pull than their more massive counterparts. But being short (or small in terms of height) does not mean you can't be massive otherwise. In other words, what the hell did you mean by "small"? Since this is a height-related thread, I assumed you meant "short." If not, forgive me.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:31 pm

TheFriendlyBarber wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
TheFriendlyBarber wrote:
I can't believe we're taking this tangent so seriously. :D But what the hell. Yes, I agree that bodies small in mass have a lesser gravitational pull than their more massive counterparts. But being short (or small in terms of height) does not mean you can't be massive otherwise. In other words, what the hell did you mean by "small"? Since this is a height-related thread, I assumed you meant "short." If not, forgive me.
it's K. I meant small, not short.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:21 pm

blowhard wrote:Tall people are more successful, that doesn't mean the rest of the population agrees with them. Maybe someone on the jury got beat up a lot in high school? Nor do I think most people can accurately judge height while they are seated and the subject isn't.
You really don't understand that the persuasiveness of being tall and good-looking is SUBCONSCIOUS...

Nobody thinks "I don't know how much to believe in his argument because I can't tell if he's 5'10" or 6'1". Instead, they think "I don't know why, but (tall/handsome/confident)'s argument makes more sense than (short/overweight/ugly)'s argument."

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bronx Bum

Bronze

Post by Bronx Bum » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:29 pm

LOL nice fairy tale. But reality is reality.

P.S. I'm 5'11

TheFriendlyBarber

Bronze

Post by TheFriendlyBarber » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:32 pm

Bronx Bum wrote:

P.S. I'm 5'11
And I'm 6'2". And A'nold is 6'4". And plenty of others here are taller still. But point being: we won't lose respect for you because you're short, but we will have because you're a jackass.

Bronx Bum

Bronze

Post by Bronx Bum » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:36 pm

TheFriendlyBarber wrote:
Bronx Bum wrote:

P.S. I'm 5'11
And I'm 6'2". And A'nold is 6'4". And plenty of others here are taller still. But point being: we won't lose respect for you because you're short, but we will have because you're a jackass.

Who fuckin cares about me? This question has nothing to do with me. Read the op. Where do I say me?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:56 pm

RVP11 wrote:
blowhard wrote:Tall people are more successful, that doesn't mean the rest of the population agrees with them. Maybe someone on the jury got beat up a lot in high school? Nor do I think most people can accurately judge height while they are seated and the subject isn't.
You really don't understand that the persuasiveness of being tall and good-looking is SUBCONSCIOUS...

Nobody thinks "I don't know how much to believe in his argument because I can't tell if he's 5'10" or 6'1". Instead, they think "I don't know why, but (tall/handsome/confident)'s argument makes more sense than (short/overweight/ugly)'s argument."
fortunately I'm incredibly good looking :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”