How much does being 5'9 or below (male) hurt you in law?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mrloblaw
Posts: 534
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: How much does being 5'9 or below (male) hurt you in law?

Postby mrloblaw » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:28 pm

shmoo597 wrote:
blowhard wrote:I agree that in general taller people make more money. I still don't think it translates enough to have an impact. However, I highly disagree that height has anything to do with effectiveness in court. Whether before a jury or not. Anyone who thinks so has clearly never spent much time there. Also, effect ≠ causation.


You're completely wrong. Trial lawyers are very conscious of how they look and how they appear. Their role is to persuade, and a huge part of that is connecting with the jury, and a huge part of that is looking like someone the jury wants to connect with. That's why trial lawyers pay such close attention to their grooming, wardrobe, style, gestures, tone of voice, and general appearance. They can't control their height, but that doesn't mean that height is irrelevant to how a jury perceives them. If tall people are more successful in life generally (and they are), my instinct is that the effect is exaggerated in a courtroom where appearance is so central to winning.


I think it's more important that the jury identifies with the lawyer than that they want to shag him. How many people in the jury box do you think look like supermodels?

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: How much does being 5'9 or below (male) hurt you in law?

Postby 03121202698008 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:30 pm

mrloblaw wrote:
shmoo597 wrote:
blowhard wrote:I agree that in general taller people make more money. I still don't think it translates enough to have an impact. However, I highly disagree that height has anything to do with effectiveness in court. Whether before a jury or not. Anyone who thinks so has clearly never spent much time there. Also, effect ≠ causation.


You're completely wrong. Trial lawyers are very conscious of how they look and how they appear. Their role is to persuade, and a huge part of that is connecting with the jury, and a huge part of that is looking like someone the jury wants to connect with. That's why trial lawyers pay such close attention to their grooming, wardrobe, style, gestures, tone of voice, and general appearance. They can't control their height, but that doesn't mean that height is irrelevant to how a jury perceives them. If tall people are more successful in life generally (and they are), my instinct is that the effect is exaggerated in a courtroom where appearance is so central to winning.


I think it's more important that the jury identifies with the lawyer than that they want to shag him. How many people in the jury box do you think look like supermodels?


This. I didn't see one hot juror all summer. The few that came in always got struck for one reason or another. (Coming off as judgmental, entitled, airhead, etc.)

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: How much does being 5'9 or below (male) hurt you in law?

Postby bjsesq » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:38 pm

5'9"= good
5'8"= CONGRATS! YOU'RE FUCKED!

User avatar
monkey85
Posts: 394
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: How much does being 5'9 or below (male) hurt you in law?

Postby monkey85 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:40 pm

how much does it hurt you?

It hurts so much - but it hurts so good!

TheFriendlyBarber
Posts: 258
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:13 am

Re: How much does being 5'9 or below (male) hurt you in law?

Postby TheFriendlyBarber » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:20 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
shmoo597 wrote:"The truth is, tall people do make more money. They make $789 more per inch per year."

Average penis size is around 4.5-5 inches. Any info on how much more per inch people with big dicks make?


I'm not sure how much money an extra inch will get you, but conversely, money is known to buy you inches. In the words of Mark Cuban, "for every billion dollars I have, my dick gets 10 inches longer."

http://deadspin.com/171824/mark-cuban-would-like-to-remind-you-who-in-fact-he-is

cjw55
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:34 am

Re: How much does being 5'9 or below (male) hurt you in law?

Postby cjw55 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:07 pm

Being 5'9 or shorter shouldn't make for much of a disadvantage. On the other hand, those lawyers who are unfortunate enough to be 6'4 or taller will likely have restricted exit options from Biglaw, as lateraling to ninja groups with those kind of stats can be quite hard I have heard.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: How much does being 5'9 or below (male) hurt you in law?

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:11 pm

James Madison.
/thread

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: How much does being 5'9 or below (male) hurt you in law?

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:18 pm

Obviously male height matters in law. It's why US News is including it along with LSAT and GPA for the 2012 rankings. 6'4 median or say goodbye to the T14.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: How much does being 5'9 or below (male) hurt you in law?

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:20 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:Obviously male height matters in law. It's why US News is including it along with LSAT and GPA for the 2012 rankings. 6'4 median or say goodbye to the T14.

How tall is the Biebs?

TheFriendlyBarber
Posts: 258
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:13 am

Re: How much does being 5'9 or below (male) hurt you in law?

Postby TheFriendlyBarber » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:28 pm

If your height bothers you then it may very well hurt you in law life.

Be comfortable in your own skin--be confident--and not only will people take you seriously, but they will gravitate toward you and follow you as well.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: How much does being 5'9 or below (male) hurt you in law?

Postby 071816 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:30 pm

OP, try growing some balls.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: How much does being 5'9 or below (male) hurt you in law?

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:32 pm

TheFriendlyBarber wrote:If your height bothers you then it may very well hurt you in law life.

Be comfortable in your own skin--be confident--and not only will people take you seriously, but they will gravitate toward you and follow you as well.

If you're small, you don't have a strong gravitational pull

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: How much does being 5'9 or below (male) hurt you in law?

Postby A'nold » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:45 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
TheFriendlyBarber wrote:If your height bothers you then it may very well hurt you in law life.

Be comfortable in your own skin--be confident--and not only will people take you seriously, but they will gravitate toward you and follow you as well.

If you're small, you don't have a strong gravitational pull

TITCR. Basically, shut it shorties.

TheFriendlyBarber
Posts: 258
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:13 am

Re: How much does being 5'9 or below (male) hurt you in law?

Postby TheFriendlyBarber » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:53 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
TheFriendlyBarber wrote:If your height bothers you then it may very well hurt you in law life.

Be comfortable in your own skin--be confident--and not only will people take you seriously, but they will gravitate toward you and follow you as well.

If you're small, you don't have a strong gravitational pull


Small, yes. But short =/= small. This short man's (LinkRemoved) gravitational pull will obliterate your lanky ass.
Last edited by TheFriendlyBarber on Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: How much does being 5'9 or below (male) hurt you in law?

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:53 pm

TheFriendlyBarber wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
TheFriendlyBarber wrote:If your height bothers you then it may very well hurt you in law life.

Be comfortable in your own skin--be confident--and not only will people take you seriously, but they will gravitate toward you and follow you as well.

If you're small, you don't have a strong gravitational pull


Bullshit. This short man's (LinkRemoved) gravitational pull will obliterate your lanky ass.

Nice straw man. I said small, not short

TheFriendlyBarber
Posts: 258
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:13 am

Re: How much does being 5'9 or below (male) hurt you in law?

Postby TheFriendlyBarber » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:55 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
TheFriendlyBarber wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
TheFriendlyBarber wrote:If your height bothers you then it may very well hurt you in law life.

Be comfortable in your own skin--be confident--and not only will people take you seriously, but they will gravitate toward you and follow you as well.

If you're small, you don't have a strong gravitational pull


Bullshit. This short man's (LinkRemoved) gravitational pull will obliterate your lanky ass.

Nice straw man. I said small, not short


short =/= small. My fat man just ate your straw man. Tough shit.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: How much does being 5'9 or below (male) hurt you in law?

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:59 pm

TheFriendlyBarber wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:Nice straw man. I said small, not short


short =/= small. My fat man just ate your straw man. Tough shit.

you literally just agreed with me

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: How much does being 5'9 or below (male) hurt you in law?

Postby A'nold » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:59 pm

You guys just made me lol.

TheFriendlyBarber
Posts: 258
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:13 am

Re: How much does being 5'9 or below (male) hurt you in law?

Postby TheFriendlyBarber » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:11 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
TheFriendlyBarber wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:Nice straw man. I said small, not short


short =/= small. My fat man just ate your straw man. Tough shit.

you literally just agreed with me


I can't believe we're taking this tangent so seriously. :D But what the hell. Yes, I agree that bodies small in mass have a lesser gravitational pull than their more massive counterparts. But being short (or small in terms of height) does not mean you can't be massive otherwise. In other words, what the hell did you mean by "small"? Since this is a height-related thread, I assumed you meant "short." If not, forgive me.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: How much does being 5'9 or below (male) hurt you in law?

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:31 pm

TheFriendlyBarber wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
TheFriendlyBarber wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:Nice straw man. I said small, not short


short =/= small. My fat man just ate your straw man. Tough shit.

you literally just agreed with me


I can't believe we're taking this tangent so seriously. :D But what the hell. Yes, I agree that bodies small in mass have a lesser gravitational pull than their more massive counterparts. But being short (or small in terms of height) does not mean you can't be massive otherwise. In other words, what the hell did you mean by "small"? Since this is a height-related thread, I assumed you meant "short." If not, forgive me.

it's K. I meant small, not short.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: How much does being 5'9 or below (male) hurt you in law?

Postby RVP11 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:21 pm

blowhard wrote:Tall people are more successful, that doesn't mean the rest of the population agrees with them. Maybe someone on the jury got beat up a lot in high school? Nor do I think most people can accurately judge height while they are seated and the subject isn't.


You really don't understand that the persuasiveness of being tall and good-looking is SUBCONSCIOUS...

Nobody thinks "I don't know how much to believe in his argument because I can't tell if he's 5'10" or 6'1". Instead, they think "I don't know why, but (tall/handsome/confident)'s argument makes more sense than (short/overweight/ugly)'s argument."

User avatar
Bronx Bum
Posts: 474
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:02 pm

Re: How much does being 5'9 or below (male) hurt you in law?

Postby Bronx Bum » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:29 pm

TheFriendlyBarber wrote:If your height bothers you then it may very well hurt you in law life.

Be comfortable in your own skin--be confident--and not only will people take you seriously, but they will gravitate toward you and follow you as well.



LOL nice fairy tale. But reality is reality.

P.S. I'm 5'11

TheFriendlyBarber
Posts: 258
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:13 am

Re: How much does being 5'9 or below (male) hurt you in law?

Postby TheFriendlyBarber » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:32 pm

Bronx Bum wrote:
TheFriendlyBarber wrote:If your height bothers you then it may very well hurt you in law life.

Be comfortable in your own skin--be confident--and not only will people take you seriously, but they will gravitate toward you and follow you as well.



LOL nice fairy tale. But reality is reality.

P.S. I'm 5'11


And I'm 6'2". And A'nold is 6'4". And plenty of others here are taller still. But point being: we won't lose respect for you because you're short, but we will have because you're a jackass.

User avatar
Bronx Bum
Posts: 474
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:02 pm

Re: How much does being 5'9 or below (male) hurt you in law?

Postby Bronx Bum » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:36 pm

TheFriendlyBarber wrote:
Bronx Bum wrote:
TheFriendlyBarber wrote:If your height bothers you then it may very well hurt you in law life.

Be comfortable in your own skin--be confident--and not only will people take you seriously, but they will gravitate toward you and follow you as well.



LOL nice fairy tale. But reality is reality.

P.S. I'm 5'11


And I'm 6'2". And A'nold is 6'4". And plenty of others here are taller still. But point being: we won't lose respect for you because you're short, but we will have because you're a jackass.



Who fuckin cares about me? This question has nothing to do with me. Read the op. Where do I say me?

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: How much does being 5'9 or below (male) hurt you in law?

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:56 pm

RVP11 wrote:
blowhard wrote:Tall people are more successful, that doesn't mean the rest of the population agrees with them. Maybe someone on the jury got beat up a lot in high school? Nor do I think most people can accurately judge height while they are seated and the subject isn't.


You really don't understand that the persuasiveness of being tall and good-looking is SUBCONSCIOUS...

Nobody thinks "I don't know how much to believe in his argument because I can't tell if he's 5'10" or 6'1". Instead, they think "I don't know why, but (tall/handsome/confident)'s argument makes more sense than (short/overweight/ugly)'s argument."

fortunately I'm incredibly good looking :lol: :lol: :lol:




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.