Input/opinions please

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Input/opinions please

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:13 am

Hey guys, I'd appreciate some of your opinions on this.

I am at a T2 and am jobless for my summer between 2L and 3L year. Busted OCIs, getting rejected left and right mass mailing, etc. and am currently waiting till the spring to apply for small firms.

However, I was fortunate enough to have an opportunity to intern (4 weeks) for a big law firm (i do not want to name the firm but its similar to firms like White & Case, Linklaters, Baker Mckenzie) at one of its international offices. This is because they do not have SA programs abroad. This internship will pay but not as much as SAs.

I'm not quite sure if this would lead to a job opportunity (probably not). Should I still take this? How would you guys go about this? Has anyone done this type of this their 2L summer? If so, please PM me. I'd appreciate it.

Anonymous User

Re: Input/opinions please

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:55 am

i would definitely take it, especially if you don't have any other big law opportunities. you're right, it may not lead to a full-time offer, but if you bust your ass and impress people it may. at the very least, if you do great work and make some connections with attorneys there they may be willing to put in a good word for you at one of the firm's U.S. offices. i don't really see you as having much to lose in this situation. plus, it's only 4 weeks so it wouldn't even preclude you from taking on a SA position at a small firm.

that said, some big firms are still hiring. unless you've been rejected by every single firm in the country, keep applying. you never know when you'll get a bite back.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:i would definitely take it, especially if you don't have any other big law opportunities. you're right, it may not lead to a full-time offer, but if you bust your ass and impress people it may. at the very least, if you do great work and make some connections with attorneys there they may be willing to put in a good word for you at one of the firm's U.S. offices. i don't really see you as having much to lose in this situation. plus, it's only 4 weeks so it wouldn't even preclude you from taking on a SA position at a small firm.

that said, some big firms are still hiring. unless you've been rejected by every single firm in the country, keep applying. you never know when you'll get a bite back.

thanks. my grades are terrible so biglaw SA is out of the picture. after speaking with CSO, my main concern right now is if they'll give me full 4 weeks (since the person told me 2-4) and whether if it'll consist of substantive legal work or just making copies all day. I'm slightly uncertain how anything substantive can be done in a month.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:58 am

Is it in HK? Is it a "set program"? I know a little bit about those 4 week programs. message me if the program is in Asia.

Return to “Legal Employment”