are all legal jobs like this?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Zazelmaf

are all legal jobs like this?

Postby Zazelmaf » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:21 pm

Hello friends, compadres, and fellow forumers!

I am a recent transfer student-extraordinare! I am going to a mid-tier school in the NYC metro area and I was recently blessed with a fall internship paying a handsome sum of $10 per hour. Sad to say, things did not go so well. The boss would seem to be easily agitated with everything I did, tell me to write a letter and what to put in it, and then when I put what he said, say "I would have done it different."

Also, he figures I know everything, even though I knew very little. Well, I quit and have no intention of even wanting to work in a law office after that. Even though I gave him my class schedule, he demanded I stay during class (and thus miss it multiple times). (edited to add the word 'multiple' before 'times').

Well, I quit (which I already said). At the time I had applied for a summer job, which is unpaid but where I might get a stipend through the school. The lady there really wanted me to go work for her, calling me and e-mailing me, and when I postponed the interview, she seemed really excited to have me reschedule. Well, I told her I don't think so. I am just so battered by my last job I have no want to continue onwards. Yes, I have the want to do well in school, but I could give a damn less about working.

Is this normal? Is this what I have to expect with every internship I work at? $10 to be bullied and hastled? Screw that. I'd rather be in debt and poor than be a doormat for someone else. If that's all I can look forward to, I'm scared.

Anonymous User

Re: are all legal jobs like this?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:24 pm

weird flame

PeanutHead

Postby PeanutHead » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:26 pm

May be a flame, but sounds like a flame that has never had a job of any kind.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:37 pm

Both responses credited. A dead giveaway for a flame b/c the "transfer student extraordinaire" transferred to a "mid tier NYC school" and took a job paying $10 an hour. The flamer had the entire setup going but then went on this weird rant about a stupid boss.

Let me tell all you people that have never worked something. I once had a middle manager woman that looked like a hound dog call me into her office to chew me out because my staples were not at a right angle on a stack of invoices. This, unfortunately, is the way things work. The key is to find a job where your manager(s) are not douchey (this can take years) and then STICK TO IT and don't let yourself get suckered into leaving for some kind of "grass is greener" kind of job. It's all about the people you work with IMO.

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:37 pm

If flame, OP is an elaborate flame. This thread is not bizarre at all compared to the ones he started during the transfer cycle. Poster before me probably has it nailed.

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:40 pm

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:43 pm

I don't think this is a flame because I remember reading all of this poster's old posts (including about transferring) and they all seemed really delicate, naive and earnest. Definitely a strange character.

Can't say much beyond that you should definitely quit a job that doesn't let you work around classes. But you have to move on, and not be afraid to get a better job.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:04 pm

Maybe op isn't a flame. Maybe op is just a fucking idiot that also cannot write. If so, there is a protest just off Wall Street where your friends are hanging out... Head there op and dont worry about anything.

Indifferent

Postby Indifferent » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:11 pm

reasonable_man wrote:Maybe op isn't a flame. Maybe op is just a fucking idiot that also cannot write.

That would make sense considering OP was reprimanded because of his written work.

OP, if you are not a flame, not every legal job is like this - are you really considering letting one irritable (albeit passive aggressive) partner influence your perception of the entire legal profession? You should not allow one bad experience influence your perception of all legal employers (this statement seems obvious but apparently is not).

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:26 pm

OP is really kind of...strange. And has apparently never had a job.

From one of OP's other threads:
Zazelmaf wrote:I hate the idea of looking for work, and I keep telling myself I will only end up disappointed, but I guess I have no choice.

:|

okinawa

Postby okinawa » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:02 pm

I do like that the solution to having a boss he doesn't like is to continue paying for and attending a professional school, AND decide to just never work again. Hilarious.

Kimberly

Postby Kimberly » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:21 pm

jeesh- you guys are so rough. It amazes me that people who get absolutely annihilated on this forum even continue to contribute...

Nonetheless, OP is not in an uncommon situation of realizing for the first time that working for a living is not glamorous. But, OP, you will hopefully eventually get yourself to the point where you can be that disgruntled partner and take it out on the intern... but not if you become jobless and homeless.

Facts are, no matter where you work or what you do for a living, you will run into people who: (1) don't respect you, (2) don't care about you, (3) don't even stop to consider that you are human, (4) are unhappy with their own lives, (5) are ugly to boot (if you are attractive it makes this point especially relevant), and (6) see you as the easiest target to project their loveless and hapless lives. It just is that way. Ultimately, you can learn the master jedi tricks to conquering and ultimately turning these relationships around but this can never happen if you give up so easily. Don't be so 21st Century American... please take a little personal responsibility, muster up a little salt and vinegar, and get your ass back in the game.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:32 pm

A'nold wrote:Let me tell all you people that have never worked something. I once had a middle manager woman that looked like a hound dog call me into her office to chew me out because my staples were not at a right angle on a stack of invoices. This, unfortunately, is the way things work. The key is to find a job where your manager(s) are not douchey (this can take years) and then STICK TO IT and don't let yourself get suckered into leaving for some kind of "grass is greener" kind of job. It's all about the people you work with IMO.

Sadly, this is extremely true. Survival in a large, or even medium-sized organization, rarely is due to competence, especially competence at managing others. A lot of mid-level managers that have been there for 10-20 years have realized that it pays far more to kiss your superiors' asses than actually produce work of superior value. Having good character is probably at the very bottom of the survival skills totem pole.

Human egos, internal politics, and self-serving behavior are part of every organization. Your boss' boss many times has no idea who you are or what you're doing. Therefore the people your boss answers to will never figure out how shitty your boss is while managing you. And you're expendable, so nobody cares anyways.

It's probably worse in the legal world since lawyers think so highly of themselves. Although most of them probably have more intellectual prowess than my last manager, they don't necessarily use that intellectual prowess when managing others.

PeanutHead

Postby PeanutHead » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:22 pm

Should have directed you here to begin with

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-1Nb6nW ... re=related

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:39 pm

JCougar wrote:
A'nold wrote:Let me tell all you people that have never worked something. I once had a middle manager woman that looked like a hound dog call me into her office to chew me out because my staples were not at a right angle on a stack of invoices. This, unfortunately, is the way things work. The key is to find a job where your manager(s) are not douchey (this can take years) and then STICK TO IT and don't let yourself get suckered into leaving for some kind of "grass is greener" kind of job. It's all about the people you work with IMO.

Sadly, this is extremely true. Survival in a large, or even medium-sized organization, rarely is due to competence, especially competence at managing others. A lot of mid-level managers that have been there for 10-20 years have realized that it pays far more to kiss your superiors' asses than actually produce work of superior value. Having good character is probably at the very bottom of the survival skills totem pole.

Human egos, internal politics, and self-serving behavior are part of every organization. Your boss' boss many times has no idea who you are or what you're doing. Therefore the people your boss answers to will never figure out how shitty your boss is while managing you. And you're expendable, so nobody cares anyways.

It's probably worse in the legal world since lawyers think so highly of themselves. Although most of them probably have more intellectual prowess than my last manager, they don't necessarily use that intellectual prowess when managing others.

Freaking loved this post.

Zazelmaf

Postby Zazelmaf » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:54 pm

Sorry folks, was in a bad mood when I wrote this. I had been homeless for the first half of my semester, looking for an apartment and staying with a person I met online about 2 hours from my school and being told over and over by brokers and landlords I could not get a place without a cosigner or guarantor (which I was unable to find). Therefore, I have been very stressed, as I have had no time this semester to study and I have missed an insane amount of classes on top of what my boss wanted me to miss. I did quit the job and it was not my first job. I've spent 10 years working at a variety of places through college (cell centers, 2 fast food places (both about 1-2 years each), work study during undergrad), but this job was crazy. It wasn't a firm, just an individual lawyer, solo practitioner or what not. Either way, he really killed my idea of what I thought the legal profession was and I really am scared to death to continue working in it. If I end up with that kind of job after working my butt off for 7 years of higher education I will be sorely disappointed. I am now really considering what else I can do with this degree.

As for being an ass to my intern. No, I never want to become that type of person.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:25 pm

Zazelmaf wrote:Sorry folks, was in a bad mood when I wrote this. I had been homeless for the first half of my semester, looking for an apartment and staying with a person I met online about 2 hours from my school and being told over and over by brokers and landlords I could not get a place without a cosigner or guarantor (which I was unable to find). Therefore, I have been very stressed, as I have had no time this semester to study and I have missed an insane amount of classes on top of what my boss wanted me to miss. I did quit the job and it was not my first job. I've spent 10 years working at a variety of places through college (cell centers, 2 fast food places (both about 1-2 years each), work study during undergrad), but this job was crazy. It wasn't a firm, just an individual lawyer, solo practitioner or what not. Either way, he really killed my idea of what I thought the legal profession was and I really am scared to death to continue working in it. If I end up with that kind of job after working my butt off for 7 years of higher education I will be sorely disappointed. I am now really considering what else I can do with this degree.

As for being an ass to my intern. No, I never want to become that type of person.

Dude, you sound like a flame. How could one experience with an evil solo make you "scared to death to continue working" in the law?

IrwinM.Fletcher

Postby IrwinM.Fletcher » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:40 pm

This is one my favorite posters. If it's a flame, it's elaborate and masterful. I'm pretty sure he's just delusional though.

Zazelmaf

Postby Zazelmaf » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:47 pm

I like being a favorite, however I am not a flame. A flame is a fire, human I am.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:18 pm

Indifferent wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:Maybe op isn't a flame. Maybe op is just a fucking idiot that also cannot write.

That would make sense considering OP was reprimanded because of his written work.

TBF, OP reads as ESL to me.

Zazelmaf

Postby Zazelmaf » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:41 am

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
Indifferent wrote:

I never said I was 'reprimanded', therefore such a comment only shows that your reading comprehension could use some work. However, that is fine, we all misread on occasion.

I was told exactly what to write, therefore I only wrote what I was told to write, then when I wrote it verbatim to what he said, as instructed, he said: "I would have written it differently."

Also: I find it scarier that many on this forum feel so 'superior' to everyone else. I don't think it's just the legal profession; superiority complexes exist throughout society on many levels. However, it is sad that one must boost their self esteem by derailing the same of others. Such tactics should have been undone in grade school, high school at the latest. However, I see that they have persisted through college and into professional school, and that is terrifying.

All of this furthers my belief that the only way I am going to be happy in this profession is to go through every day preparing to one day go solo, or to do something else entirely where I can be my own boss. People that do not treat other people with respect are not worth it, not for any amount of money. Why some people think they can act like asses to other people who are on the same team makes no sense, and shows just how stupid humanity can be.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:08 pm

Zazelmaf wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:
Indifferent wrote:

However, it is sad that one must boost their self esteem by derailing the same of others.

You're right. You write very clearly and your grammar is second to none......

jim

Postby jim » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:23 pm

A'nold wrote:
Zazelmaf wrote:

However, it is sad that one must boost their self esteem by derailing the same of others.

You're right. You write very clearly and your grammar is second to none......

lol

Zazelmaf

Postby Zazelmaf » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:29 pm

Mods, lock this thread. This went nowhere fast.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:32 pm

Zazelmaf wrote:Mods, lock this thread. This went nowhere fast.

You seem to lack manners as well. You are a great catch.

Return to “Legal Employment”