Recind DOJ internship acceptance and accept DOC offer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Recind DOJ internship acceptance and accept DOC offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:25 pm

deleted. Thanks for the advice!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Recind DOJ internship acceptance and accept DOC offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi, I am a 3L law student who was recently offered a spring internship with the Department of Commerce ("DOC") Office of General Counsel, but already has accepted a spring internship position within the Civil Division of the Justice Department ("DOJ"). Here is my predicament, I would really like to ultimately work for either department, but the main issue lies in the fact that the DOJ only hires recent graduates through the Honors program (which as a 3L I am out of luck for) and the Department of Commerce does have a policy of sometimes hiring from its interns (although I'm not sure how often this actually happens). I would really like to be able to be able to have the possibility of turning my internship into a fulltime position, but I know there might be some risk in turning down the DOJ position after already accepting. So here are my two questions:

1) What would the consequences be for turning down an acceptance with a DOJ Civil Division two weeks after accepting the position?

2) What is the realistic chance of turning a Department of Commerce internship into a full time position?

I've also added a poll to supplement your answers, please answer with both a poll selection and a post!

1. I've worked at a few federal agencies and according to my supervisors, the only thing that will get someone permanently blacklisted in their books is accepting a job and then reneging. From what I understand, this happens a fair bit at the lateral level in the federal government and basically shuts a door to that agency.

2. The DoC-OGC takes 20 summers according to the Arizona Guide and some number of year interns like yourself. That to me means there are a fair number of people out there with DoC-OGC intern on their resume. I have yet to see a federal agency like DoC hire more than 4-5 entry lawyers a year, even when the agency's work concerns law (SEC, NLRB, etc). Sounds like pretty low odds.

I'd stay with the DOJ. At least it is more portable to a firm or AG office.

Anonymous User

Re: Recind DOJ internship acceptance and accept DOC offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:13 pm

deleted

Return to “Legal Employment”