IRS - Summer Legal Intern Program

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

IRS - Summer Legal Intern Program

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:24 am

Anyone apply for this/know of any movement lately? I know they did on-campus some places, but I just applied straight to their office a few weeks ago. Also, anyone know the chances of permanent employment? The website says some offers may be given at the end of the program.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: IRS - Summer Legal Intern Program

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:27 am

Chief Counsel's office? They are making decisions right now, but they are only taking like 10 nationwide. Permanent employment chances are decent.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: IRS - Summer Legal Intern Program

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:20 pm

I applied mid-september, got an email about a week to 10 days ago that they were starting to review applications and that they would continue to contact people...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: IRS - Summer Legal Intern Program

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I applied mid-september, got an email about a week to 10 days ago that they were starting to review applications and that they would continue to contact people...



I assume your not talking about the standard email?


Also, where did this 10 people nationally come from? If true, that sucks! :cry:

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: IRS - Summer Legal Intern Program

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:01 pm

Had a callback with IRS OCC- P&A last week. They said the particular division was only hiring two.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: IRS - Summer Legal Intern Program

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:01 pm

Had a callback with IRS OCC- P&A last week. They said the particular division was only hiring two.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: IRS - Summer Legal Intern Program

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I applied mid-september, got an email about a week to 10 days ago that they were starting to review applications and that they would continue to contact people...



I assume your not talking about the standard email?


Also, where did this 10 people nationally come from? If true, that sucks! :cry:



No, I am not in their standard system. I applied to a non-DC field office and the 10 total positions news came directly from the head of that office. Actually, I read the actual internal email where they said they were only going to take 10, it was inadvertently forwarded to me.

The email said the entire Office of Chief Counsel took 33 interns last year but was only expecting 10 total this year, assigned by need. I was told that although I was the top choice for this field office but that they did not think they were going to get one of the 10 slots.

It doesn't matter for me anyway, I am accepting a biglaw offer. For what it is worth, the IRS people were great and I would have loved working with them.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: IRS - Summer Legal Intern Program

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I applied mid-september, got an email about a week to 10 days ago that they were starting to review applications and that they would continue to contact people...



I assume your not talking about the standard email?


Also, where did this 10 people nationally come from? If true, that sucks! :cry:



No, I am not in their standard system. I applied to a non-DC field office and the 10 total positions news came directly from the head of that office. Actually, I read the actual internal email where they said they were only going to take 10, it was inadvertently forwarded to me.

The email said the entire Office of Chief Counsel took 33 interns last year but was only expecting 10 total this year, assigned by need. I was told that although I was the top choice for this field office but that they did not think they were going to get one of the 10 slots.

It doesn't matter for me anyway, I am accepting a biglaw offer. For what it is worth, the IRS people were great and I would have loved working with them.


Wow. This was my top choice. Really sucks to hear this. But thank you for the heads up!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: IRS - Summer Legal Intern Program

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:11 am

So it looks like there isn't really a point to applying now. Anyone know if they are even considering apps?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: IRS - Summer Legal Intern Program

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:39 pm

Throw an app at them, decisions have not been made as of this moment. I've learned that they are picky about grades.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: IRS - Summer Legal Intern Program

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Throw an app at them, decisions have not been made as of this moment. I've learned that they are picky about grades.


Do they really mean the top 20% thing, and do they drop it down at all based on the school?

Thanks.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: IRS - Summer Legal Intern Program

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Throw an app at them, decisions have not been made as of this moment. I've learned that they are picky about grades.


Do they really mean the top 20% thing, and do they drop it down at all based on the school?

Thanks.



The 20% thing is real, but they push it up for lower ranked schools. I have heard of a top 1/3 from H getting an internship, so I really don't know. I just know that they are picky.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: IRS - Summer Legal Intern Program

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Throw an app at them, decisions have not been made as of this moment. I've learned that they are picky about grades.


Do they really mean the top 20% thing, and do they drop it down at all based on the school?

Thanks.



The 20% thing is real, but they push it up for lower ranked schools. I have heard of a top 1/3 from H getting an internship, so I really don't know. I just know that they are picky.


How do you know this? If this is true, it's pretty terrible. I guess median at CCN is laughable.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: IRS - Summer Legal Intern Program

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
How do you know this? If this is true, it's pretty terrible. I guess median at CCN is laughable.



From a field director at a non-DC office. They said that the entire OCC won't take a chance with lower grades because they don't have to. They have plenty of applicants. Also, your LSAT apparently matters a little bit and they ask for it on the application.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: IRS - Summer Legal Intern Program

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:25 pm

Anyone know if the Office of Chief Counsel is still hiring/interviewing? Thanks!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: IRS - Summer Legal Intern Program

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know if the Office of Chief Counsel is still hiring/interviewing? Thanks!


Have an interview scheduled for next week at one of the field offices - so I imagine that some of the places are still hiring

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: IRS - Summer Legal Intern Program

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:36 pm

Did you guys send thank you letters after your interview? I would like to, but I cannot find email addresses for my interviewers.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: IRS - Summer Legal Intern Program

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:46 pm

Didnt they give you a business card or something?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: IRS - Summer Legal Intern Program

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:47 pm

bump - just interviewed a little while ago, do people know what their timeline is this year or in past years?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: IRS - Summer Legal Intern Program

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:bump - just interviewed a little while ago, do people know what their timeline is this year or in past years?


Also curious about this! Anyone?

Edit: Also, is a callback always a prerequisite for an offer?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: IRS - Summer Legal Intern Program

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:06 pm

It was a month after OCI before I got a callback. Another month before an offer. Office in DC...this year.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: IRS - Summer Legal Intern Program

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:It was a month after OCI before I got a callback. Another month before an offer. Office in DC...this year.


Just out of curiosity did you take the offer?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: IRS - Summer Legal Intern Program

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It was a month after OCI before I got a callback. Another month before an offer. Office in DC...this year.


Just out of curiosity did you take the offer?


Yes.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: IRS - Summer Legal Intern Program

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:53 pm

How long does it take to get rejected. I interviewed over three weeks ago, and the interviewers said it could take as long as a month, but seemed to think it would move faster given how late it was. Still haven't heard back. Also, do rejections come by mail or email?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: IRS - Summer Legal Intern Program

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How long does it take to get rejected. I interviewed over three weeks ago, and the interviewers said it could take as long as a month, but seemed to think it would move faster given how late it was. Still haven't heard back. Also, do rejections come by mail or email?


Bump.

Anyone willing to share how they got the bad news? I am just trying to destroy all hope for myself sooner rather than later.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.