SEC Summer Honors Program 2012 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

SEC Summer Honors Program 2012

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:13 am

I didn't see a thread started for this year yet, so I thought I'd make one for general discussion.

To get us started, I have an interview in the next week with the DC office, but I know some interviews have already taken place. I applied in the first round of the rolling deadline and was contacted through email.

Anonymous User

Re: SEC Summer Honors Program 2012

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:15 am

Had an interview last friday. Talked with two people over the phone. They were really friendly.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:31 am

I did the program in 2010. DC Trading and Markets. I can answer any questions.

starchinkilt

Bronze

Post by starchinkilt » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:32 am

Danteshek wrote:I did the program in 2010. DC Trading and Markets. I can answer any questions.
How long after your interview did you hear back?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:40 am

Danteshek wrote:I did the program in 2010. DC Trading and Markets. I can answer any questions.
On my application, I indicated that I'm equally interested in all divisions. I read elsewhere that they tend to have a division in mind for you before they interview you. Do you think that means that they matched me up with an interviewer from the division where they believe I would be a good fit or am I reading too much into it?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:31 am

I received an email last night with offers from certain divisions. I actually interviewed with 2 divisions over the phone, but my offers did not come from these divisions.

The email mentioned that I could get offers from divisions later, which indicates to me that not every division has made their choices.

Hope this information helps!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:03 am

When was your interview?

bmcinto

New

Post by bmcinto » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:When was your interview?
I had one interview on October 12 and another division interview on September 30. The offers that I received were not from these divisions though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:48 pm

Any specific interview questions I should prepare for that aren't your standard questions?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Shammis

Bronze

Post by Shammis » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:51 pm

Does anyone have any experience with the 1L summer program? How selective is it...best way to get in etc?

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
On my application, I indicated that I'm equally interested in all divisions. I read elsewhere that they tend to have a division in mind for you before they interview you. Do you think that means that they matched me up with an interviewer from the division where they believe I would be a good fit or am I reading too much into it?
It is mostly random. There was woman two years ago from USD Law with 15 years experience creating CDOs at Lehman. She was placed in the ENF new products group. Almost all interns had some relevant experience, but experience does not dictate where you go unless it is truly practical and unusual experience.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:08 pm

Does anyone know how much of a disadvantage it is to apply right around the deadline? (obviously it better to apply early, but anyone have success applying within several days of the deadline?) Also, how long was it after you applied that you heard back? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:09 pm

Did anyone else find the futurestep site to be confusing. I am pretty sure that I uploaded my application package on the second to last page, but then on the next page it asked me if I would like to upload a cover letter. Just to be clear, we weren’t suppose to upload anything on the last page, correct? Probably a dumb question, but I haven't heard back yet and I am starting to worry that my app may have been incomplete.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone else find the futurestep site to be confusing. I am pretty sure that I uploaded my application package on the second to last page, but then on the next page it asked me if I would like to upload a cover letter. Just to be clear, we weren’t suppose to upload anything on the last page, correct? Probably a dumb question, but I haven't heard back yet and I am starting to worry that my app may have been incomplete.
I saw the same thing and it didn't make sense to me either. I uploaded a cover letter there and had a screening at the beginning of the month and a callback last week. Didn't seem in a particular hurry to make a decision, but the HR person did seem to indicate all of the interviews for that division were being done now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know how much of a disadvantage it is to apply right around the deadline? (obviously it better to apply early, but anyone have success applying within several days of the deadline?) Also, how long was it after you applied that you heard back? Thanks!
Anybody? Can anyone who has been part of the program comment on how much of a detriment applying late is to getting hired?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone else find the futurestep site to be confusing. I am pretty sure that I uploaded my application package on the second to last page, but then on the next page it asked me if I would like to upload a cover letter. Just to be clear, we weren’t suppose to upload anything on the last page, correct? Probably a dumb question, but I haven't heard back yet and I am starting to worry that my app may have been incomplete.
I saw the same thing and it didn't make sense to me either. I uploaded a cover letter there and had a screening at the beginning of the month and a callback last week. Didn't seem in a particular hurry to make a decision, but the HR person did seem to indicate all of the interviews for that division were being done now.
Do you mind saying which division this is that is finishing up interviewing already??

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:29 pm

Can you tell me a little bit about your experience with that particular division?
Did you come across other interns in other divisions? - any interesting stories there?
Do they typically hire on their 2Ls?
Would you take this over a paid firm job even though the firm is in a town you don't want to be in after graduation?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Do you mind saying which division this is that is finishing up interviewing already??
TM

Glock

Bronze

Post by Glock » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:41 pm

Does the SEC have boats?

--ImageRemoved--

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Do they typically hire on their 2Ls?
Their summer program is about 75 interns. Their term programs are 50 or so each semester. In a good year, they hire 5 people who are fresh out of law school.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Can you tell me a little bit about your experience with that particular division? The fun part was meeting the other interns and playing softball. The work was pretty boring. 8 weeks isn't enough time to really do substantive work. If you joined the SEC, it would take about a year before you did anything useful.
Did you come across other interns in other divisions? - any interesting stories there? Yes. Softball and happy hours.
Do they typically hire on their 2Ls? Never. Internship looks okay on a resume, but it is totally unrealistic to expect a job at the SEC out of law school
Would you take this over a paid firm job even though the firm is in a town you don't want to be in after graduation?Depends.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:49 pm

Are they having an Honors Program for graduates either this year or next year?

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are they having an Honors Program for graduates either this year or next year?
Advance commitment is dead. Probably forever.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:44 pm

Does that mean entry-level hiring is dead? I thought they usually had entry level people start at the bottom doing investigations/grunt work.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does that mean entry-level hiring is dead? Yes. I thought they usually had entry level people start at the bottom doing investigations/grunt work.Ha. No.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”