Below Median At CCN

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Below Median At CCN

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:but it will be marginally safer, IMO, going to schools with smaller class sizes (i.e. Chi, Cornell, Penn) then it will be going to schools with much larger ones (i.e., Columbia, NYU, Mich).

Maybe true within ranges (Penn v. Michigan, Chi v. CLS/NYU). Definitely not true of Cornell v. CLS, NYU or Mich, though; it's a huge step down from MVP and Northwestern to Cornell in terms of employment prospects. Also not true of Penn v. CLS/NYU; the latter are definitely in better shape.

Anyway, getting an SA is less than a completely sure thing once you get below a 3.4 at NYU, but of course it depends vastly on where you bid (a 3.4 going all-in on DC probably struck out, whereas a 3.25 bidding only on NYC likely got a job) as well as less tangible things like work experience, language skills and interviewing abilities.

Huge step down? Lol. I know a lot of people below the median at Cornell with big law offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:54 am

Also not true of Penn v. CLS/NYU; the latter are definitely in better shape.

Does not compute with ...

getting an SA is less than a completely sure thing once you get below a 3.4 at NYU

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:06 am

Everyone I know at Penn received at least 1 big law offer and a lot of those are below median.

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:Everyone I know at Penn received at least 1 big law offer and a lot of those are below median.

/facepalm

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:but it will be marginally safer, IMO, going to schools with smaller class sizes (i.e. Chi, Cornell, Penn) then it will be going to schools with much larger ones (i.e., Columbia, NYU, Mich).

Maybe true within ranges (Penn v. Michigan, Chi v. CLS/NYU). Definitely not true of Cornell v. CLS, NYU or Mich, though; it's a huge step down from MVP and Northwestern to Cornell in terms of employment prospects. Also not true of Penn v. CLS/NYU; the latter are definitely in better shape.

Anyway, getting an SA is less than a completely sure thing once you get below a 3.4 at NYU, but of course it depends vastly on where you bid (a 3.4 going all-in on DC probably struck out, whereas a 3.25 bidding only on NYC likely got a job) as well as less tangible things like work experience, language skills and interviewing abilities.

I do not believe this can be borne out in regards to Michigan v. Cornell, NW, Duke (though I will grant you the t6 - with the gap not being as wide as some here would have you believe). If just looking to make 160k, I would rather be median at Cornell than at Michigan. Though I understand this is debatable, your statement that it is "definitely not true" is just silly.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:30 am

Yeah the people that rag on Cornell take US News rankings too seriously. If you want big law, Cornell generally places in the top half of the T14 (except for 1 year since 2007).

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:13 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Yeah the people that rag on Cornell take US News rankings too seriously. If you want big law, Cornell generally places in the top half of the T14 (except for 1 year since 2007).

Dude, I don't rag on Cornell because of USNWR. I rag on Cornell because they built it on top of the north pole.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:37 pm

For 160k(or market), I think it's hard to say that NMVPB>DNC (I am biased, but it seems everyone who wants biglaw is making market). DNC seem like a bargain when you consider NYC COL and that somebody accepted at NYU would also get a nice scholarship at DNC.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:55 am

Renzo wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:Yeah the people that rag on Cornell take US News rankings too seriously. If you want big law, Cornell generally places in the top half of the T14 (except for 1 year since 2007).

Dude, I don't rag on Cornell because of USNWR. I rag on Cornell because they built it on top of the north pole.

Yes, but September and May are glorious.

lawschoolgrapedme

Postby lawschoolgrapedme » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:13 am

I don't understand why transfers do so well if people below median at these schools are struggling. Though I can see some reasons, as a whole I am still a little shocked by it. I would think that when employers came to recruit, they came to recruit those students, and not students who are now those students.

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:37 am

lawschoolgrapedme wrote:I don't understand why transfers do so well if people below median at these schools are struggling. Though I can see some reasons, as a whole I am still a little shocked by it. I would think that when employers came to recruit, they came to recruit those students, and not students who are now those students.

Because the transfer may've been in the grade range at the old school, but that firm might not do interviews at that school - when you have massmail applicants, a firm needs to be choosy because you're often flying people out to your office and so you can't interview everyone as you would with an OCI screener.

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Everyone I know at Penn received at least 1 big law offer and a lot of those are below median.

And the one guy I know who goes to Penn Law didn't.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:26 pm

lawschoolgrapedme wrote:I don't understand why transfers do so well if people below median at these schools are struggling. Though I can see some reasons, as a whole I am still a little shocked by it. I would think that when employers came to recruit, they came to recruit those students, and not students who are now those students.

Because they proved that they can do very well in law school, and will also now have the better school's degree up on their wall for the firm to market to clients. I'm sure it is hard to compare someone who was, lets say, top 10% at a T30, and one who is top 30% at a T10 school. But if you have a top 5% kid at a T30 who transfers to a T10 school, and you have a below median kid at that same school, you have 2 kids who will graduate with the same degree, yet one has shown the ability to succeed in law school, and also shown the initiate to climb the ladder. What exactly has the below median kid shown? So I'm not sure why it would be surprising that transfers do better than below median kids at their new schools, since the disparity in their performance is much greater than the perceived gap between the schools they initially attended, along with whatever difference in competition there might be.

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:29 pm

Last edited by mrloblaw on Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blink

Postby blink » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:46 pm

how does chicago compare with DC in terms of bloodbaths? How difficult is Chicago from MVP or uchi?

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:04 pm

blink wrote:how does chicago compare with DC in terms of bloodbaths? How difficult is Chicago from MVP or uchi?

DC is, as a general rule, substantially more grade sensitive. Geography/school matters less, grades matter more.

koalatriste

Postby koalatriste » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:08 pm

KMaine wrote:
Renzo wrote:

Yes, but September and May are glorious.

just don't mind those pesky seven months of misery in between.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:27 pm

We are always indoors studying so it is not as bad as people think it is.

koalatriste

Postby koalatriste » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:We are always indoors studying so it is not as bad as people think it is.

aaaaaand case closed?

Return to “Legal Employment”