3L no job, is OK?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
romothesavior

Re: 3L no job, is OK?

Postby romothesavior » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:27 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:Fun Story:

I was talking to the externship/clinic direct at my school, and she was asking me if I felt like I could handle a full load and still intern for the DA's office (I'm not getting credit for it).

The reason she wanted to know was because there was a 3L who had the opportunity to work at a small law firm as intern, but she didn't want to do it with a full schedule- for fear her grades might drop.

I wanted to find the 3L and be like: SO WHAT IF YOUR GRADES DROP??
What good is getting good grades if you are not graduated upon employment? All the employers that are grade obsessed generally hire during OCI.

And this 3L was interest in private firm work- so no gov't.

I just want to find her and be like: as an unemployed 3L, YOUR GRADES DO NOT MATTER MORE THAN MAKING A CONNECTION AND GETTING LEGAL EXPERIENCE!

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Its like people don't understand.

I feel like she must think that if she keeps up her good grades, a medium sized firm will hire her for her good grades? I just... *sigh.*

A friend of mine has a sister in law school (who I don't know) who apparently has the same thought process. Her sister is near the top of the class at a T4, but has no job and isn't even looking (my friend says she is a bit picky about jobs too). She is so concerned about keeping her grades up, and my reaction was the same as yours... who gives a rats ass about grades if you're unemployed? My friend is worried to death about her sister, but the law student sister doesn't seem all that concerned.

I think people like this are simply a combination of stupid, lazy, or blissfully ignorant of what is going on around them. They tend to go to lower-tier schools, but I've even seen a bit of this going on at my T20.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:37 pm

I had a job basically locked up by the end of my first summer and an official offer after my second summer when I was in law school. That said, many of the students at my rat-trap TTT were completely ignorant of the fact that the job market was declining and that not having a job at graduation was a big deal. I graduated in 2008, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that the market was not completely imploded just yet and as such they were caught a bit off guard. But if you're in LS now and you don't realize that graduating without a job is a HUGE fucking problem, then you deserve your spot at the Occupy Wall Street rally.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:53 pm

reasonable_man wrote:I had a job basically locked up by the end of my first summer and an official offer after my second summer when I was in law school. That said, many of the students at my rat-trap TTT were completely ignorant of the fact that the job market was declining and that not having a job at graduation was a big deal. I graduated in 2008, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that the market was not completely imploded just yet and as such they were caught a bit off guard. But if you're in LS now and you don't realize that graduating without a job is a HUGE fucking problem, then you deserve your spot at the Occupy Wall Street rally.

At least they're doing cool drugs and getting laid over there.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:08 pm

Grizz wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:I had a job basically locked up by the end of my first summer and an official offer after my second summer when I was in law school. That said, many of the students at my rat-trap TTT were completely ignorant of the fact that the job market was declining and that not having a job at graduation was a big deal. I graduated in 2008, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that the market was not completely imploded just yet and as such they were caught a bit off guard. But if you're in LS now and you don't realize that graduating without a job is a HUGE fucking problem, then you deserve your spot at the Occupy Wall Street rally.

I try not to look to closely as I step over them on the way to work... But now maybe I'll try and be more observant.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:13 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
Grizz wrote:

I try not to look to closely as I step over them on the way to work... But now maybe I'll try and be more observant.

Lol.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:23 pm

You already used an occupy wall street joke in this thread.
+5 for original reference
-10 for using same schtick twice
+6 for the walking-overing post.

overall +1.

yes I do have waaay to much time on my hands: i am in a real property securities class that I'm taking pass/fail.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:30 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
Grizz wrote:

School/gpa rank/firm size? You don't have to answer these if you want, but I'm always interested in success stories. Also, I'm bored. Its 6:30 and with the exception of 2 1-hour breaks, I have been in class since 9am..

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:11 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:
Grizz wrote:

School/gpa rank/firm size? You don't have to answer these if you want, but I'm always interested in success stories. Also, I'm bored. Its 6:30 and with the exception of 2 1-hour breaks, I have been in class since 9am..

SCHOOL: TTT (And a particularly bad one at that)
GPA/RANK: Top 30%
ORIGINAL FIRM: 90 Lawyers (NYC Metro)
CURRENT FIRM: 6 Lawyers (NYC financial District)

I was on the "partnership track" at my first firm. Not particularly great money, but certainly not bad either. Got sick of the hours and the lack of a life and started to not like myself. Left for the smaller firm about 15 months ago and I love it. I have an amazing office and a ton of freedom. I have a few small clients and then the rest of the work comes from the partners. Probably one of the best decisions I ever made. I love coming to work every day. Money is ok too. I make about 100k (just started my third year of practice), and raises and bonuses are given out at the end of each year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:13 pm

This thread reminds me of two friends I have:

1 is one of my closest friends from UG, we call him "Energizer" bc he was so goddamn lazy. This dude loved basically just playing WoW all day. Eventually withdrew halfway through UG (we went to top 5 UG) and has basically been working part time / internships / min wage while living with parents/on our friends couches for several years. Energizer has 0 debt and 0 degree, and really sucks at looking for jobs. He is always talking about interesting jobs he might apply for with absolutely no understanding of how impossible it will be for him until he finishes his UG. Maybe some day one of us will be able to hook him up with a 40k entry level gig, or he'll get off his ass and finish his degree and get one on his own. The latter will probably happen, since all his top 5 UG friends are moving up the ranks of corporate/legal/consulting/startup America.

2 is a graduated JD from my T1, who is as described in this forum. 2 has 250k+ in debt, because 2 studied a ton in UG and went for a humanities MA before LS. Now 2 has a BA, MA, and JD, and no job. Is exhibiting same exact perspective and attitude as Energizer, and just has no clue the world of pain that awaits.

The guy who played WoW, dropped out of UG and lives with his parents in his mid-twenties won by a long shot. Better not to try than try and do all the wrong things.

saintsfan200

Postby saintsfan200 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:46 pm

I was on the "partnership track" at my first firm. Not particularly great money, but certainly not bad either. Got sick of the hours and the lack of a life and started to not like myself. Left for the smaller firm about 15 months ago and I love it. I have an amazing office and a ton of freedom. I have a few small clients and then the rest of the work comes from the partners. Probably one of the best decisions I ever made. I love coming to work every day. Money is ok too. I make about 100k (just started my third year of practice), and raises and bonuses are given out at the end of each year.

Out of curiosity, what practice area? I assuming its the same for both firms.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:27 pm

Awesome man. ANd good for you for for chasing the happiness not the money. Makes me feel better about what I'm doing. (Trying to work at an ADAs office).

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:12 am

saintsfan200 wrote:

Out of curiosity, what practice area? I assuming its the same for both firms.

Actually, the first firm did a lot of insurance defense (my practice was split 50/50 insurance work and commercial litigation).. There was one major partner that had serious commercial clients and I was the only one that worked on those files with him.

The new small firm is 20% insurance defense, 10% corporate work, 40% maritime law and 30% commercial litigation.. I split my time basically along those percentages as do most of the lawyers at the firm (partners probably lean more toward the maritime work). So I sorta actually took a step up in prestige. When I moved to this firm about 6 months later a major commercial firm expressed some interest in my coming there (contacts from college, etc) but It never really materialized (on both sides).

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:14 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:

Awesome man. ANd good for you for for chasing the happiness not the money. Makes me feel better about what I'm doing. (Trying to work at an ADAs office).

All of the partners at my current firm are ex-biglaw and/or ADAs... I wish I had worked for an ADA.... Its awesome experience. Best of luck to you with it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:17 am

My high school GPA was 3.71.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:51 am, edited 4 times in total.

luthersloan

Postby luthersloan » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:26 am

Did the above really need to be anon?

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:32 am

luthersloan wrote:Did the above really need to be anon?

just report

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:38 am

DoubleChecks wrote:

just report

What if we didn't? What if we just peer pressured people into not anon-ing pointlessly and left the mods to their own busy schedules? The mods are people too, you know.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:43 am

IAFG wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:

just report

What if we didn't? What if we just peer pressured people into not anon-ing pointlessly and left the mods to their own busy schedules? The mods are people too, you know.

uh, okay sure. while i am a bit skeptical that that would work (peer pressuring those who misuse anon to stop), feel free to do it. im just pointing out that the mods themselves state in the rules to not bother posting about anon abuse in a thread, but rather to hit the little red exclamation mark -- and if they have time, they'd get to it.

...someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed...

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:45 am

DoubleChecks wrote:
IAFG wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:

just report

uh, okay sure. while i am a bit skeptical that that would work (peer pressuring those who misuse anon to stop), feel free to do it. im just pointing out that the mods themselves state in the rules to not bother posting about anon abuse in a thread, but rather to hit the little red exclamation mark -- and if they have time, they'd get to it.

...someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed before 9 a.m. ...

yeah you got me. i don't handle mornings well.

KamaalTheAbstract

Postby KamaalTheAbstract » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:46 am

IAFG wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:

just report

I've reported a bunch of them instead of commenting but they haven't dealt with any of them. Its kind of useless. It just says case closed and nothing happens.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:52 am

KamaalTheAbstract wrote:
IAFG wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:

just report

I've reported a bunch of them instead of commenting but they haven't dealt with any of them. Its kind of useless. It just says case closed and nothing happens.

ITT, the citizens patrol reports wrong doer's to flash light cops and complains about lack of results...

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:56 am

I guess I just don't see what the big problem with abusing anon is. I mean... is being a dick on the internet under some stupid username really that much different than doing it under Anonymous User? It's worthy of public shaming because, jesus christ you're being a little bitch if you pull that shit, but... who fucking cares? Anonymous User posts aren't going to change TLS into xoxo, because the mods would shut down heinous shit that would threaten the TLS-ness of TLS.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:My high school GPA was 3.71.

lol

KamaalTheAbstract

Postby KamaalTheAbstract » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:16 am

Aqualibrium wrote:
ITT, the citizens patrol reports wrong doer's to flash light cops and complains about lack of results...

Not really complaining. Its not like I started a thread to complain. Just saying that reporting anon abuse is useless so if you have something to say about someone's abuse you might as well just post it.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:18 am

KamaalTheAbstract wrote:I've reported a bunch of them instead of commenting but they haven't dealt with any of them. Its kind of useless. It just says case closed and nothing happens.

We switch out the "anon" for the poster's real handle whenever we think it's appropriate. We do our best to keep up on this, but really? As IAFG has pointed out, unless someone is using the "anon" feature to actively abuse/harass another poster it's not at the top of the priority list. We do the best we can, mang - but we are students, too.

We appreciate both the use of the report button AND the self-policing suggested by a certain lovely lady (who, like me, is not a morning person.) :)

Return to “Legal Employment”