BigLaw exit options Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

BigLaw exit options

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:11 pm

What are the dynamics of BigLaw exit options?

To the extent that it's possible ITE, what sort of timing is ideal? i.e. how are exit options different for junior, midlevel, and senior associates? What are the best/most profitable/riskiest/most likely/most difficult scenarios? How does your practice area and firm reputation impact exit options? Is it a maxim that transactional assoc. go in-house and litigation assoc. continue to litigate, or is it more flexible than that? i.e.:

(1) lateral to a similar BigLaw firm
(2) go to a smaller/plaintiffs firm
(3) in-house to a larger, established corporation
(4) in-house to a smaller, pre-IPO corporation
(5) USAO or other government
(6) clerkship in federal or state court

nervous1

New

Re: BigLaw exit options

Post by nervous1 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:28 pm

This topic has been beat to death.

My goal is to make more than a first year associate wherever go - litigation or corporate work.

I don't believe my goal is easy.

Such is the life of the BigLaw lawyer. You make a lot when you are young, and then 50% paycut unless you make partner.

tfer2222

Bronze

Post by tfer2222 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:03 pm

nervous1 wrote:This topic has been beat to death.

My goal is to make more than a first year associate wherever go - litigation or corporate work.

Such is the life of the BigLaw lawyer. You make a lot when you are young, and then 50% paycut unless you make partner.
I just want to pay off my debt as fast as possible (without living like a total peasant), and then ride the biglaw the train for as long as I can stand it.

sebastian0622

Bronze

Post by sebastian0622 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:11 pm

tfer2222 wrote:
nervous1 wrote:This topic has been beat to death.

I just want to pay off my debt as fast as possible (without living like a total peasant), and then ride the biglaw the train for as long as I can stand it.
I think that's what most people want to do. The problem comes in when "as long as [you] can stand it" turns out to be like 17 days. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”