JAG or nothing??.....Should I risk it??

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
wannabejag

JAG or nothing??.....Should I risk it??

Postby wannabejag » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:57 pm

Quick Bios....31, 12 years military service, single, no kids, 38K loan debt from undgergrad and MBA.

The job I want in life is to be an Army JAG officer. I am currently Army Nat Guard enlisted JAG (paralegal). I am deploying soon to Kuwait and will be back in time for fall semester. Was going to take December LSAT and apply, getting back just in time for Fall semester 2012. Undergrad GPA 3.15 Grad GPA 3.67 Practice LSAT 162

I really only want JAG. I have 12 years of service and I love the Military Law and Military Life. A Captain with that amount of time in is pretty much a 100K job. Even if Harvard would take me (yes, I know they won't), I still know what I want to do.

Here is the dilemia, is it worth the risk....In reality I am looking at lower Tier 1 schools at most, between tuition assitance and four months left of GI Bill I can minimize the cost, however if I take a TTT or TTTT schools hoping for some $$ and I don't get into JAG then what....on the other hand if I go to the best school I can and don't get selected by JAG then what???

I know the employment prospects in these times are not the best....looking for some advice. I guess I need a solid plan B. Talk to me.

joemoviebuff

Re: JAG or nothing??.....Should I risk it??

Postby joemoviebuff » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:15 pm

I can't really answer your question with any certainty, but I will say it sounds like you'd be a very competitive candidate. Look at this thread and maybe ask your question in it for some answers about JAG.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=31543

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:26 am

In terms of a backup plan, wouldn't OP also get a massive boost for most federal agencies with that kind of military experience? Would it be enough to overcome being at a TTT?

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:32 am

The nice thing about JAG is that don't care nearly as much about the school you go to as firms do. They hire from TTs and TTTs every year.

You should get your LSAT high enough to get a full ride to some school, doesn't really matter how prestigious. Take the money at a lower school over higher ranked schools. Gun for JAG the whole time, and there's a very real chance you'll be accepted.

Also, if you lose your scholarship, strongly consider dropping out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:32 am

The most important thing I would suggest for you is to talk to current and former JAG officers. Even current JAG recruiting officers will bluntly tell you the selection criteria; how many apps there are for what number of spots. Try to figure out what trends you see both in where they went to law school and what they did in law school. Meeting them won't help you get into JAG, but it will tell you better than any of us on TLS can what you odds are of doing it.

shepdawg

Postby shepdawg » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:24 pm

My TTT has major success getting people into JAG. You're too old for the marines, and I don't know if your past service will transfer into experience worth $$ as an officer in any of the branches. You can get up to $60k loan reimbursment after 6-7 years of service as a JAG officer, but you'll be making 90k or less with a family. But in the end, you lose 3 years of your 100k salary. I say stay in the service as what you are now, or go to OCS.

jrb194

Postby jrb194 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:12 pm

If you are worried about being accepted into JAG upon graduation the Marine Corps has a track that will accept you into the JAG program before law school and another while you are in your third year. You can read a lot of the details here.

http://officer.marines.com/marine/winni ... e_advocate

The only thing is in the Marines you are an officer first and a lawyer second plus there is a lot of additional intense training. On the plus side, once you decide to get out, having former Marine officer on your resume makes you look like a badass. I don't think I have ever met an umemployed former Marine officer.

Mroberts3

Postby Mroberts3 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:07 am

You can apply to have the military pay for your legal education through some programs. That way you don't have to take the risk of going to law school and JAG not panning out. I am sure these are extremely competitive, but at least if you don't get it there is no loss. (I know this is true of the AF, but there are probably differences from service to service. Either way I would see if the Army has something like this).

wannabejag

Postby wannabejag » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:45 am

Mroberts3 wrote:You can apply to have the military pay for your legal education through some programs. That way you don't have to take the risk of going to law school and JAG not panning out. I am sure these are extremely competitive, but at least if you don't get it there is no loss. (I know this is true of the AF, but there are probably differences from service to service. Either way I would see if the Army has something like this).

No. Too Old. Even for the Air Force where you "know" you can do it.

wannabejag

Postby wannabejag » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:46 am

shepdawg wrote:or go to OCS.

No. Too old.

megamanx

Postby megamanx » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:51 am

Maybe the army is different, but I know a lot of the services are looking for younger students who have done well. I talked to the Navy a few months ago and they were saying how people from T10 schools regularly apply now for the same positions that used to go to kids at TTT schools. Also, every program I have heard of, regardless of the branch, is shrinking its size. With the military getting smaller over the next few years, this seems like one hell of a risk if you only have one goal in going to law school.

wannabejag

Postby wannabejag » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:55 am

megamanx wrote:Maybe the army is different, but I know a lot of the services are looking for younger students who have done well. I talked to the Navy a few months ago and they were saying how people from T10 schools regularly apply now for the same positions that used to go to kids at TTT schools. Also, every program I have heard of, regardless of the branch, is shrinking its size. With the military getting smaller over the next few years, this seems like one hell of a risk if you only have one goal in going to law school.

VERY TRUE...but even with downsizing I cant get over thinking they wont take me with 7 years of enlisted JAG service, including two JAG deployments as a Military Justice NCOIC (supervising paralegal). Honeslty, I could teach at the damn JAG school tommorrow...so thats my dilemia.

Mroberts3

Postby Mroberts3 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:19 pm

wannabejag wrote:
Mroberts3 wrote:You can apply to have the military pay for your legal education through some programs. That way you don't have to take the risk of going to law school and JAG not panning out. I am sure these are extremely competitive, but at least if you don't get it there is no loss. (I know this is true of the AF, but there are probably differences from service to service. Either way I would see if the Army has something like this).

No. Too Old. Even for the Air Force where you "know" you can do it.

I don't just "know" its possible for the AF. It says so on their website. Its not very productive to subtly backhand people who are trying to give you advice. (You will see I haven't posted on TLS for months because most of it is silly. I thought your thread was worthwhile, and I have some knowledge of the process from my application to the AF ROTC program.

I don't want to be too negative, but if you are paying for law school on your own and its JAG or bust -- don't go. Your military experience is great but you will still need the grades (top 20% minimum probably) to even be considered. Fortunately JAG doesn't just hire from the T14, but you still need the grades. Like I said, the military experience will almost certainly help, but there are lots of prior military applying for JAG so its not as if you are the only one. The Air Force only hired 120 new JAGs a year recently, and that was before some of the recruiting cutbacks (on of the DAP boards was retroactively cancelled and the equivalent board for my GLP application took like 6 of 500+ applicants). In other words, its a numbers game and its not worth 3 years of your life and 200K if that is the only job you would take, especially since you already have a productive career.

take a look at the airforceots.com forums to get a sense for what I mean. Some of these people have truly astounding resumes and still get rejected.

Return to “Legal Employment”