Legal work in DE

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Legal work in DE

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:12 pm

Other than that it's specialized, I don't know a lot about the work in DE. Can anyone point me in the right direction of getting a good understanding of the corporate and bcy work?

Anonymous User

Re: Legal work in DE

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Other than that it's specialized, I don't know a lot about the work in DE. Can anyone point me in the right direction of getting a good understanding of the corporate and bcy work?

I did a callback at one of the big DE firms, and I got the impression that on the corporate front they're primarily called in over governance matters (fiduciary duty, control structures, etc.). I could be slightly off base here, and I'd be happy to be corrected by someone more knowledgeable.

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:57 am

Very insular market, and very focused on governance - I really wanted to get a DE firm personally, but couldn't crack that market.

Do you have an offer OP? What are you looking for?

Postby 03121202698008 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:04 am

Very very insular market. Even for stuff like doing real estate closings and other Small Law.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:53 pm

YourCaptain wrote:Very insular market, and very focused on governance - I really wanted to get a DE firm personally, but couldn't crack that market.

I have CBs with no ties and am trying to figure out what I am going to tell them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:57 pm

You probably want to read up on the unique aspects of the DE Bar Exam (2.5 days, 5 month apprenticeship, special training sessions) and the very very small nature of the DE Bar (fewer then 5,600 lawyers in 200+ years). Make sure you know what you will do in the state in addition to why you want that firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
YourCaptain wrote:Very insular market, and very focused on governance - I really wanted to get a DE firm personally, but couldn't crack that market.

I have CBs with no ties and am trying to figure out what I am going to tell them.

two things worked for me: one, emphasizing that i really wanted to do corporate and that, with the possible exception of NYC, there's really no better place to do so. this tied into two: but unlike in NYC, the smaller size of the DE bar and DE firms gives me greater opportunities to get substantive experience earlier in my career. then i talked about how i really want the opportunity to be able to jump in and contribute early on, and that DE seems like it will give me those opportunities better than similar firms in other markets.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You probably want to read up on the unique aspects of the DE Bar Exam (2.5 days, 5 month apprenticeship, special training sessions) and the very very small nature of the DE Bar (fewer then 5,600 lawyers in 200+ years). Make sure you know what you will do in the state in addition to why you want that firm.

Yeah I've read about their bar admittance process, it's pretty crazy. Do you know how people make up the 2-3 months they won't get during the summer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:You probably want to read up on the unique aspects of the DE Bar Exam (2.5 days, 5 month apprenticeship, special training sessions) and the very very small nature of the DE Bar (fewer then 5,600 lawyers in 200+ years). Make sure you know what you will do in the state in addition to why you want that firm.

Yeah I've read about their bar admittance process, it's pretty crazy. Do you know how people make up the 2-3 months they won't get during the summer?

No, despite 13 interviews over two OCI seasons with every firm in the state, I was unable to convince them I was passionate enough about living in DE. I'm sure your school has at least one alum at one of the big five firms; call them and ask.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:30 pm

Because of the importance of Delaware law in corporate matters (including corporate bankruptcies), Delaware firms/offices focus heavily on matters involving Delaware law. Some practice groups, such as intellectual property, will do their work in the federal courts. And of course, bankruptcy law is largely federal, although not exclusively so.

Although that makes the practice seem "insular," most Delaware corporations are headquartered in other places, especially NYC and California, so the Delaware firms are often co-counsel with out-of-state firms. That gives attorneys a great chance to make connections with attorneys in other firms and in other markets. A Delaware corporate attorney will work on fiduciary duty matters, shareholder litigation, stock appraisal, and any other corporate matter you can think of. There are also a number of businesses that have large presences within the state--DuPont, Chace, ING Direct, Barclays, Bank of America, etc.--so there are many general commercial matters, too.

For people who think they may want to transfer to another market one day, your litigation skills will transfer, and firms in other markets, especially larger markets, will inevitably need to apply Delaware law at some point, so your substantive knowledge will not be worthless either. That being said, I think more attorneys move into Delaware than out, usually because there is a much higher quality of life, and you don't have to sacrifice the sophistication of your practice to get it. I would say that most people who leave do so early in their careers.

Given the unique requirements of the DE bar admission, DE doesn't allow attorneys in other states to waive into the DE bar. Going tit-for-tat, no other state allows DE attorneys to waive into their bar--with one exception: after five years, you can waive into the DC bar, after which you can waive into other states through your DC admission.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:55 pm

I have CBs with no ties and am trying to figure out what I am going to tell them.[/quote]

I'm working at a big DE firm next summer.

I spoke with one firm about the 5 month requirement and the associate said that's satisfied if you do the summer program and work at the firm while you're waiting for your bar results so you don't have to do anything extra during the school year. I know there are also requirements about spending certain days in particular courts.

In your CB, I would emphasize how DE is the preeminent jurisdiction for corporations and alternative entities so you work on higher profile cases than you would in other jurisdictions. I would read up on some of the cases they did to emphasize this point.

I might also mention how great a place DE is for starting a family. One DE firm told me they generally hire people who are married or in serious relationships because single people apparently don't like DE as much.

Good luck!

Return to “Legal Employment”