Is this the right way of making partner at a V10?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Lawl Shcool

Re: Is this the right way of making partner at a V10?

Postby Lawl Shcool » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:29 pm

My understanding of big firms (from a summer SAing and having a relative in the "game") is that you are not expected to bring in business so much as you are expected to maintain the current clients.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:50 pm

tlstlstls73 wrote:
IAFG wrote:
tlstlstls73 wrote:ITT people who have never had a job ponder what it takes to be a Partner of a large organization.

What on earth makes you think the posters ITT have never had a job?

Because it's not rational to obsess about how to make partner if you haven't even started working as an associate. This conversation among law students is asinine. I'd be more curious about "how to be a good associate," than how to make partner.

EDIT: Your own point in the c/o 2013 is what I'm trying to get across:

"So much could change in the next year, I don't know how anyone could really argue one side or the other with any confidence."

If you think this about speculating whether we get no-offered next summer, how can you think speculating about how to achieve a certain (highly unlikely) career outcome 8+ years down the road makes any sense?

Obviously this discussion is highly speculative, and OP would do well to not plan his life around making partner.

That said, law is a highly structured profession. An SA or junior associate can learn a lot just by talking to partners about their career paths and about the business. From CB's to my SA, I found partners to be very forthcoming in talking about the business.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:03 am

tlstlstls73 wrote:EDIT: Your own point in the c/o 2013 is what I'm trying to get across:

"So much could change in the next year, I don't know how anyone could really argue one side or the other with any confidence."

If you think this about speculating whether we get no-offered next summer, how can you think speculating about how to achieve a certain (highly unlikely) career outcome 8+ years down the road makes any sense?

I agree with you generally, but my point is, law firms are different than other businesses in some ways, and the same in others. The thread is basically hashing out how you get ahead in law firms in comparison to other entities. That discussion is centered on fact collecting much more than some vague projections about the economy.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:01 pm

FWIW, I think the OP's path isn't bad advice (guess I'll know for sure in a year or so). But there's an enormous variable that's left out: talent.

Some people, no matter how hard they work, will not be good enough to make it.
Some people, no matter how little they work little above the minimum they put in, will be stars.

Believe it or not, we can tell right away the stars and scrubs. It's the unwashed middle that it takes years to figure out.

Return to “Legal Employment”