Brain storming for those with good creds and no jobs (3Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Brain storming for those with good creds and no jobs (3Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:34 pm

I don't mean the above as bragging, but it seems like most (but not all) of the we are "fucked economically threads" are concerned mostly with lower T1 and T-14s with so-so grades. Maybe grades and schools do not matter too much at this point, but I want to see if the small firm/shitlaw/doc review is still where we should be aiming.

So I will start off, I am a CCN transfer, top 10% at new school, secondary. So far 3L oci and such has not yielded me an offer. Clerkship process also was a non-starter. What have those of you who are in similar positions being doing (besides continuing to pursue biglaw via 3L oci and mailings)? Personally, I doubt PI is an option for me, since I have never done any volunteer work in my whole life, nor is there anything else about my resume that would make be appealing to PI. I worked in government this summer, but not in a do-gooder role.

So what options have other 3Ls in similar positions been pursuing? Or what has worked for graduates who were in similar positions?

As much as I would like to be the next areyouinsane, telling funny doc review stories, I still think all things considered I would like to try yo avoid said future.

Anonymous User

Re: Brain storming for those with good creds and no jobs (3Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:51 pm

Are you interested in any specific areas? I understand if you rule out PI, but am wondering what the alternative is.

boaltrising3l

Postby boaltrising3l » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:56 pm

Respond to postings on your job site, and apply to fed stuff. I personally think the best advice is to take a really light courseload next semester.

I believe while you can look now somewhat more lazily, you need to be ready to start talking to smaller firms next year. Honestly there are decent small firm positions and small firms who hire entry level people who convince them its a good idea, but contacting them this early would just be a huge pain in their ass. Now is sort of the quiet period, so enjoy it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are you interested in any specific areas? I understand if you rule out PI, but am wondering what the alternative is.

I mean, I have really enjoyed all of my law school course work and all the legal jobs I have ever had, so I am not too discriminating. Given my large debt load, at this point I am interested in any kind of law that turns shit green.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:04 pm

boaltrising3l wrote:Respond to postings on your job site, and apply to fed stuff. I personally think the best advice is to take a really light courseload next semester.

I believe while you can look now somewhat more lazily, you need to be ready to start talking to smaller firms next year. Honestly there are decent small firm positions and small firms who hire entry level people who convince them its a good idea, but contacting them this early would just be a huge pain in their ass. Now is sort of the quiet period, so enjoy it.

Yeah, I think you are right about that. Not really any point on starting on small firms now, given their recruiting time frame.

Pato_09

Postby Pato_09 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:07 pm

Maybe work on your interview skills - maybe that is the problem, since you have very good creds.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:10 pm

Pato_09 wrote:Maybe work on your interview skills - maybe that is the problem, since you have very good creds.

Yeah, I totally agree. Last years recruiting season was an abortion for that very reason. This year I have been getting a fair amount of CBs from very few screeners, but cannot seem to seal the deal. Not sure if that is my interviewing or what.

boaltrising3l

Postby boaltrising3l » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:14 pm

I know it's easy for TLS to say improve interviewing skills but like the selection process is really more arbitrary than this site gives credit.

Good creds + no job does not mean lack of interviewing skills. Most interviews go great because law firms do not ask any questions that involve any kind of pressure, making it hard to separate the candidates. A lot of times the decision comes down to diversity or really relevant work experience. At the end of the day you need some luck to get the job.

I know total aspies with great job offers, and some of the coolest people I've ever met are still looking. It's unfortunately not that simple.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:30 pm

Unfortunately not much you can do at this point besides become familiar with small firms and "shitlaw" as its called. Learn procedure of the state you want to practice in, inside and out. You can spend the next 9 months looking for the elite job that hasn't materialized for you and most likely will not, or you can hit the ground running in the area of law you will inevitably end up in. I really think that "shitlaw" would go a lot easier for people if they understood what they were getting into. Now is the time to begin that learning process.

Pato_09

Postby Pato_09 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:43 pm

boaltrising3l wrote:I know it's easy for TLS to say improve interviewing skills but like the selection process is really more arbitrary than this site gives credit.

Good creds + no job does not mean lack of interviewing skills. Most interviews go great because law firms do not ask any questions that involve any kind of pressure, making it hard to separate the candidates. A lot of times the decision comes down to diversity or really relevant work experience. At the end of the day you need some luck to get the job.

I know total aspies with great job offers, and some of the coolest people I've ever met are still looking. It's unfortunately not that simple.

Yes, like in everything, luck certainly helps. But, interviewing skills are important. Being "Cool" is not the same as being a good interviewee. Also, interviewing skills is not everything, but it certainly helps - even if you have good creds.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:46 pm

where are you from? if it's a smaller city, or a suburb in a bigger city, you may have luck finding a position in your home town. many people like to take care of their own. . . especially with your good credentials, a business savvy attorney looking to expand may be interested in showing you the ropes, given that you make it clear (whether true or not) that you want to stay in your hometown market.

p.s. - i feel you man - i know many in your shoes. stressful b/c many smaller firms won't consider hiring until closure to graduation / this time next year / whenever you pass bar.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:47 pm

OP here- I am from a fairly insular secondary market city, (think Chi, Boston, LA).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:49 pm

MrAnon wrote:Unfortunately not much you can do at this point besides become familiar with small firms and "shitlaw" as its called. Learn procedure of the state you want to practice in, inside and out. You can spend the next 9 months looking for the elite job that hasn't materialized for you and most likely will not, or you can hit the ground running in the area of law you will inevitably end up in. I really think that "shitlaw" would go a lot easier for people if they understood what they were getting into. Now is the time to begin that learning process.

Yeah, I mean I see your point, but with loans near 200K it is unlikely I would ever be able to pay them off on a small-law salary, getting out of law/fleeing the country or blowing the back of my head off might be more realistic options, re escaping my loans then targeting small law.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
MrAnon wrote:Unfortunately not much you can do at this point besides become familiar with small firms and "shitlaw" as its called. Learn procedure of the state you want to practice in, inside and out. You can spend the next 9 months looking for the elite job that hasn't materialized for you and most likely will not, or you can hit the ground running in the area of law you will inevitably end up in. I really think that "shitlaw" would go a lot easier for people if they understood what they were getting into. Now is the time to begin that learning process.

Yeah, I mean I see your point, but with loans near 200K it is unlikely I would ever be able to pay them off on a small-law salary, getting out of law/fleeing the country or blowing the back of my head off might be more realistic options, re escaping my loans then targeting small law.

people always assume small law salary is forever -- you're smart enough to get into a great school - go small law, work very hard to learn the ropes, then peace out, start your own firm, make enough to pay back loans with a few good cases. . this is a realistic 5-7 year goal.

Return to “Legal Employment”