3L offer rates.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273214
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

3L offer rates.

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:16 pm

Does anyone out there know (or care to speculate) as to whether or not 3L CB to offer rates are in general high, lower, or about the same as 2L ones. I ask because I have been on a number of call backs but still no offer. I sort of doubt it is my interviewing, since my screened to CB rate is around 40-50%. Of course, I could just be messing it up during longer interviews.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273214
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L offer rates.

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone out there know (or care to speculate) as to whether or not 3L CB to offer rates are in general high, lower, or about the same as 2L ones. I ask because I have been on a number of call backs but still no offer. I sort of doubt it is my interviewing, since my screened to CB rate is around 40-50%. Of course, I could just be messing it up during longer interviews.


I'm 0/2 so far with one still pending, so I'm not doing that great either.

User avatar
Julio_El_Chavo
Posts: 803
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:09 pm

Re: 3L offer rates.

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:57 pm

For people below the top 10% and no LR, biglaw offer rates are like 2%.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273214
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L offer rates.

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:58 pm

I could see the screener to CB rate being 2% (or close) but why would the CB to offer rate be so low, I mean they know if you were on LR, have a big law offer, and what your grades before they make the second round decision.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273214
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L offer rates.

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:49 pm

Same Boat. I think the ratio is somewhere around 10%. If you didnt work at firm last summer u are a backup candidate if non of the biglaw people jump ship.

At my T10, CDO said we had less than five offers for the entire 3L class. 3L OCI is a joke.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273214
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L offer rates.

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:40 pm

Just to confirm the trend. I am 0/2 3L callback. No SA 2L, No LR. EIC of secondary journal, Significant WE, Foreign Language skills.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273214
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L offer rates.

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:52 pm

I had 1 screener at 3L OCI, which resulted in a callback and offer. So, 1/1.

I worked at an IP firm for the summer and the callback/offer was with a smaller patent prosecution-only firm.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273214
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L offer rates.

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:51 pm

My only 1 is still pending

Anonymous User
Posts: 273214
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L offer rates.

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:55 pm

Well, since I started this I might as well throw in some numbers. Did not summer, 3 rejections (technically one of those is pending, but from two months ago), 1 pending (but past the deadline the recruiting person told me I would hear by, which to me strongly suggests ding in the mail) and 1 still to be done.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273214
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L offer rates.

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:50 pm

I'm top 20% at a non-T14, I'm on law review board, did a SA after 2L, and got a number of 3L offers at v10 firms.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273214
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L offer rates.

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm top 20% at a non-T14, I'm on law review board, did a SA after 2L, and got a number of 3L offers at v10 firms.


No permanent offer from 2L SA?

prawnstar
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:28 pm

Re: 3L offer rates.

Postby prawnstar » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:39 am

2 cbs, 2 offers from big law firms. From lower ranked t-10. Was notified immediately by both firms.
I worked as a SA for boutique firm that has a national reputation, 2L year. Was hired to do the same type of work.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273214
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L offer rates.

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm top 20% at a non-T14, I'm on law review board, did a SA after 2L, and got a number of 3L offers at v10 firms.


No permanent offer from 2L SA?


Yes, I got an offer from my 2L SA. I don't think I'd have been given the 3L offers had I not gotten the 2L SA offer.

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7117
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: 3L offer rates.

Postby los blancos » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm top 20% at a non-T14, I'm on law review board, did a SA after 2L, and got a number of 3L offers at v10 firms.


No permanent offer from 2L SA?


Yes, I got an offer from my 2L SA. I don't think I'd have been given the 3L offers had I not gotten the 2L SA offer.



Anyone else have any input on the impact having an SA offer has on 3L OCI?

prawnstar
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:28 pm

Re: 3L offer rates.

Postby prawnstar » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:38 pm

los blancos wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm top 20% at a non-T14, I'm on law review board, did a SA after 2L, and got a number of 3L offers at v10 firms.


No permanent offer from 2L SA?


Yes, I got an offer from my 2L SA. I don't think I'd have been given the 3L offers had I not gotten the 2L SA offer.



Anyone else have any input on the impact having an SA offer has on 3L OCI?


Definitely one of the keys but not the only one. Why would a firm hired someone who has been no-offered? Getting an offer means you are competent to work for a firm.


Other important factors are practice area and fit. Firms are trying to fill holes that their summer class wasn't able to fill or needs that suddenly arise. Because you haven't worked there in the summer, how you interview is super important.

wildhaggis
Posts: 196
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:47 pm

Re: 3L offer rates.

Postby wildhaggis » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:54 pm

Anyone have any input on whether it would be more difficult to get a 3L offer from a firm in a different market than your 2L SA market?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273214
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L offer rates.

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:06 pm

wildhaggis wrote:Anyone have any input on whether it would be more difficult to get a 3L offer from a firm in a different market than your 2L SA market?


+1. i am interested in this, as well. though i will say that i have heard anecdotally from some partners in hiring that ties to the market become less important when you're applying as a 3L because it's less likely that you're just applying to spend the summer in a desirable market and more interested in being there long-term. that said, i don't know how having a SA position in a radically different market during 2L might impact your marketability as a 3L looking at another market.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273214
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L offer rates.

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:14 pm

anyone know if you work for an honors program for an agency and decide it's not for you... how you could jump ship? In terms of 3L offers. I am talking about something like DOJ SLIP.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.