Struck Out, Non law job?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273358
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Struck Out, Non law job?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:48 am

Top 20, Secondary Journal, around the median. 25 screeners, 2 CB, 0 offers


OCI season has been depressing, but I'm moving on and getting over it. I have no leads on any legal jobs. I mass mailed every NLJ250 firm in cities I could live in, I went to several job fairs, I networked with some attorneys in my city. I've talked with career services and they suggest mailing small firms during winter and more "networking"

My question is how bad is it if I can't find a law job for 2L summer? I found out yesterday I have an all but guaranteed paid nonlaw job available next summer. If I take a non law job, will I be boned if after graduating/passing the bar I want a law job?

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Struck Out, Non law job?

Postby MrAnon » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:01 am

A bird in the hand.... You take it. You may discover that you like the non-law job and it has better advancement opportunities than 3/4 of the jobs you could get in the legal industry, and that your employer is impressed by your JD, no matter how useless it is in the new environment immediately. You may love the job so much you don't want to go back to school. Anything could happen. Take whats in front of you. Worry about tomorrow tomorrow.

User avatar
newyorker88
Posts: 614
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:32 pm

Re: Struck Out, Non law job?

Postby newyorker88 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:12 am

Doing a nonlegal job for one of your summers will kill your future job prospects. It tells employers you're not committed to practicing law and you have less legal experience than your peers. Also, how have you struck out? Its only October. Plenty of legal jobs hire in the spring. If you mean you struck out of big law even some of those places are still hiring, there's a whole thread dedicated to it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273358
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Struck Out, Non law job?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:14 am

MrAnon wrote:A bird in the hand.... You take it. You may discover that you like the non-law job and it has better advancement opportunities


I think that is some really healthy advice.

User avatar
top30man
Posts: 1224
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: Struck Out, Non law job?

Postby top30man » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:20 am

I think that is some really healthy advice.


OP, what industry is the offer in? One that you would be comfortable in as a career?

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Struck Out, Non law job?

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:26 am

It is unlikely that working in a non-legal position will foreclose any law related jobs after law school. Certain professions feed clients to attorneys. A little real world experience in a different industry should make you a better lawyer.

P.S. Everyone understands that the economy is bad & that jobs are scarce. Better to be employed, than unemployed.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273358
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Struck Out, Non law job?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:08 pm

newyorker88 wrote:Doing a nonlegal job for one of your summers will kill your future job prospects. It tells employers you're not committed to practicing law and you have less legal experience than your peers. Also, how have you struck out? Its only October. Plenty of legal jobs hire in the spring. If you mean you struck out of big law even some of those places are still hiring, there's a whole thread dedicated to it.


No, plenty of people don't do legal work 1L summer and 2L SA's and legal employment post graduation, it's all about the grades.

working a non law 2L summer is a bit worse though.

Nor sure if serious about "plenty of legal jobs" hire in spring. If that were true, why are so many people who miss the big law boat still unemployed at graduation?

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Struck Out, Non law job?

Postby Renzo » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:20 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:It is unlikely that working in a non-legal position will foreclose any law related jobs after law school. Certain professions feed clients to attorneys. A little real world experience in a different industry should make you a better lawyer.

P.S. Everyone understands that the economy is bad & that jobs are scarce. Better to be employed, than unemployed.


The bolded is the only part of this I agree with; the rest is rubbish.

OP: if you want to be a lawyer, you need to continue working on finding legal employment. Particularly if the other job is "all but guaranteed." Not having a legal job over the summer will hurt you twice: you won't have any experience to sell in applying places post graduation, and you will miss the opportunity to network inside the profession.

If you've struck out on biglaw and the NLJ250, so be it. Keep looking. Start calling/emailing small firms. Look for a term-time job that might let you stay on over the summer. Take you career service folk's advice, and do some networking; perhaps by joining the local bar ass'n and going to some meet-and-greets. If you are in mid-size to big city, see if there are businesses with GC's that might take clerks for the summer. Spamming large firms with resumes is not sufficient job search strategy.

There are enough lawyers and law students hungry for jobs that firms that you need to prove you are hungrier and more willing to do what it takes to practice, and working in a non-law job sends just the opposite signal.

However; all that said, it is better to be employed than not. If you aren't dying to practice law, or you don't hate the industry this other job is in, then maybe you should take it. Legal hiring is tough, and unless you are really willing to suffer for it, there are probably paths of less resistance to finding gainful employment.

User avatar
newyorker88
Posts: 614
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:32 pm

Re: Struck Out, Non law job?

Postby newyorker88 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:Doing a nonlegal job for one of your summers will kill your future job prospects. It tells employers you're not committed to practicing law and you have less legal experience than your peers. Also, how have you struck out? Its only October. Plenty of legal jobs hire in the spring. If you mean you struck out of big law even some of those places are still hiring, there's a whole thread dedicated to it.


No, plenty of people don't do legal work 1L summer and 2L SA's and legal employment post graduation, it's all about the grades.

working a non law 2L summer is a bit worse though.

Nor sure if serious about "plenty of legal jobs" hire in spring. If that were true, why are so many people who miss the big law boat still unemployed at graduation?


Why are you anonymous? Why are you talking about post graduation in response to what I said?

I'm very serious about legal work in the spring. In fact small firms usually don't even start hiring until then and a lot of gov't jobs have deadlines in February. By no means have you struck out of the legal profession by not having a gig in October. Big law maybe, legal profession, absolutely not.

If that were true, why are so many people who miss the big law boat still unemployed at graduation?


Because big law jobs lead to employment after graduation other legal work tends not to. It's very possible to get a still get a 2L job i.e. government, small firms. I said nothing about that equaling a job from them after graduation. You're comprehension skills are weak. Maybe, that's why your hiding behind the cloak of anonymity

User avatar
newyorker88
Posts: 614
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:32 pm

Re: Struck Out, Non law job?

Postby newyorker88 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:23 pm

Renzo wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:It is unlikely that working in a non-legal position will foreclose any law related jobs after law school. Certain professions feed clients to attorneys. A little real world experience in a different industry should make you a better lawyer.

P.S. Everyone understands that the economy is bad & that jobs are scarce. Better to be employed, than unemployed.


The bolded is the only part of this I agree with; the rest is rubbish.

OP: if you want to be a lawyer, you need to continue working on finding legal employment. Particularly if the other job is "all but guaranteed." Not having a legal job over the summer will hurt you twice: you won't have any experience to sell in applying places post graduation, and you will miss the opportunity to network inside the profession.



+1

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Struck Out, Non law job?

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:28 pm

Bull. You'll have experience, but it may be real estate or financial analysis. Noone suggested giving up your search for legal employment, but employment is important. OP is unlikely to be a strong contender for biglaw since OP is only "around median" at a Top 20 & has been unsuccessful even at getting interviews.

OP: In what industry is your non-law job opportunity ?

User avatar
174
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:03 am

Re: Struck Out, Non law job?

Postby 174 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:43 pm

Drop out and run with the new career?

random5483
Posts: 684
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:17 pm

Re: Struck Out, Non law job?

Postby random5483 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:59 pm

A non legal 2L summer job is not a good idea. This is something you can consider as a 3L if you strike out with other decent legal jobs. A non-law summer 2L job will not give you the experience other legal employers are looking for. Basically, you will be at a disadvantage during 3L hiring.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Struck Out, Non law job?

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:02 pm

I think that everyone understands that. The OP's concern seems to be whether or not non-law related 2L summer employment will foreclose any opportunity for legal employment after graduation. It won't, although it may foreclose biglaw & make getting a job as an attorney more difficult.

If the choice is between no job during 2L summer & a non-legal job, take the non-law job while continuing to search for law related employment.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Struck Out, Non law job?

Postby Renzo » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:07 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:I think that everyone understands that. The OP's concern seems to be whether or not non-law related 2L summer employment will foreclose any opportunity for legal employment after graduation. It won't, although it may foreclose biglaw & make getting a job as an attorney more difficult.

If the choice is between no job during 2L summer & a non-legal job, take the non-law job while continuing to search for law related employment.


No. Don't take the job and continue your search. Continue your search, and if all else fails, take the job.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Struck Out, Non law job?

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:44 pm

Certainly the job offer will wait until all legal related positions have been exhausted.

Depends upon whether or not you need a paid position over the summer & how long your current offer will remain open.

OP could recive better advice with more details regarding type of position offered & what type of legal employment he is willing to consider. And whether a paid position is necessary in his situation. If not, then do an unpaid internship.

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: Struck Out, Non law job?

Postby dood » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:05 pm

have fun brewing coffee at starbucks bro

zomginternets
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: Struck Out, Non law job?

Postby zomginternets » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:35 am

dood wrote:have fun brewing coffee at starbucks bro


Ouch. Cold, dude.

barneytrouble
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:43 pm

Re: Struck Out, Non law job?

Postby barneytrouble » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:00 am

zomginternets wrote:
dood wrote:have fun brewing coffee at starbucks bro


Ouch. Cold, dude.


I think you mean "Frappe, dude"

lawschoolgrapedme
Posts: 205
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:12 pm

Re: Struck Out, Non law job?

Postby lawschoolgrapedme » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:00 pm

newyorker88 wrote:Doing a nonlegal job for one of your summers will kill your future job prospects. It tells employers you're not committed to practicing law and you have less legal experience than your peers. Also, how have you struck out? Its only October. Plenty of legal jobs hire in the spring. If you mean you struck out of big law even some of those places are still hiring, there's a whole thread dedicated to it.


I don't agree with this completely. I did my 1L summer in investment banking, because that is much more relevant than going to clerck for a judge for the summer and doing mind numbing drafting (maybe more relevant for lit, but I am corp).

On the other hand, I would think that 2L is time to go into the legal market. However, if that isn't a possibility, just try to do something that your future legal employer will value if law is still your end goal.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273358
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Struck Out, Non law job?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:31 pm

174 wrote:Drop out and run with the new career?


This. Either keep looking for something legal for 2L (and hiring is far from over at this point) or take the non-legal job and drop out before you accumulate more debt.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.