Got a BigLaw offer… Now, how to prepare?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Got a BigLaw offer… Now, how to prepare?

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:52 am

I composed a list of 8 tips. YW in advance!

1. Practice ordering the following: "johnny walker black/red, neat." Or, if you want to go single malt- "Glenlevit, neat." (P.S. "neat" = straight up, no ice etc).

2. Never order chivas. Wtf is that shit anyway? It's for greasy pricks.

3. Since you are now ordering scotch straight up, learn how to sip on it.
It's fucking classy, and since you are drinking it straight up, its hard to pound (which is good, you don't want to be hammered).

4. Do not put fucking ice cubes in your scotch.
You wouldn't put ice cubes in your wine, would you?
Fucking animals.

5. Drink scotch out of a glass, instead of beer out of a can like some kind of fucking animal.

6. In the words of ATL.com's ellie mystal:
"If I had a kid who was interested in drinking Four Loko, you know what I would say? I’d say, 'Son, this here is a bottle of Glenlivet. It’s what your grandfather used to drink. You can drink your alcohol out of a can like an animal, or you can drink it out of a glass like a man. The choice is entirely up to you.' ”

7. Don't put ice cubes in your scotch. What, you think this is fucking soda or something?

8. God-damned animals.

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Got a BigLaw offer… Now, how to prepare?

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:Read and highlight Getting to Maybe.

But seriously, I asked each interviewer what advice they give to young associates, and one young(er) partner at the firm at which I'll be summering said, "Buy, read, and re-read The Curmudgeons Guide to Practicing Law".


Thank you author of that book that posts on ATL!

User avatar
JusticeHarlan
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: Got a BigLaw offer… Now, how to prepare?

Postby JusticeHarlan » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:11 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:I composed a list of 8 tips. YW in advance!

1. Practice ordering the following: "johnny walker black/red, neat." Or, if you want to go single malt- "Glenlevit, neat." (P.S. "neat" = straight up, no ice etc).

2. Never order chivas. Wtf is that shit anyway? It's for greasy pricks.

3. Since you are now ordering scotch straight up, learn how to sip on it.
It's fucking classy, and since you are drinking it straight up, its hard to pound (which is good, you don't want to be hammered).

4. Do not put fucking ice cubes in your scotch.
You wouldn't put ice cubes in your wine, would you?
Fucking animals.

5. Drink scotch out of a glass, instead of beer out of a can like some kind of fucking animal.

6. In the words of ATL.com's ellie mystal:
"If I had a kid who was interested in drinking Four Loko, you know what I would say? I’d say, 'Son, this here is a bottle of Glenlivet. It’s what your grandfather used to drink. You can drink your alcohol out of a can like an animal, or you can drink it out of a glass like a man. The choice is entirely up to you.' ”

7. Don't put ice cubes in your scotch. What, you think this is fucking soda or something?

8. God-damned animals.

I feel like this is too NYC centric. Surely Jameson is fine in Boston, bourbon is ok in the south, etc. Is it really scotch or bust?

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Got a BigLaw offer… Now, how to prepare?

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:31 am

JusticeHarlan wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:I composed a list of 8 tips. YW in advance!

1. Practice ordering the following: "johnny walker black/red, neat." Or, if you want to go single malt- "Glenlevit, neat." (P.S. "neat" = straight up, no ice etc).

2. Never order chivas. Wtf is that shit anyway? It's for greasy pricks.

3. Since you are now ordering scotch straight up, learn how to sip on it.
It's fucking classy, and since you are drinking it straight up, its hard to pound (which is good, you don't want to be hammered).

4. Do not put fucking ice cubes in your scotch.
You wouldn't put ice cubes in your wine, would you?
Fucking animals.

5. Drink scotch out of a glass, instead of beer out of a can like some kind of fucking animal.

6. In the words of ATL.com's ellie mystal:
"If I had a kid who was interested in drinking Four Loko, you know what I would say? I’d say, 'Son, this here is a bottle of Glenlivet. It’s what your grandfather used to drink. You can drink your alcohol out of a can like an animal, or you can drink it out of a glass like a man. The choice is entirely up to you.' ”

7. Don't put ice cubes in your scotch. What, you think this is fucking soda or something?

8. God-damned animals.

I feel like this is too NYC centric. Surely Jameson is fine in Boston, bourbon is ok in the south, etc. Is it really scotch or bust?


I suppose so, and maybe its my regional bias, but I always equate scotch with being the best.

I mean, you hear people talking about jack and coke. If you order scotch and coke, you are an idiot and will get laughed at (or should). Why, because scotch is too damn fine.

sebastian0622
Posts: 276
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: Got a BigLaw offer… Now, how to prepare?

Postby sebastian0622 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:58 pm

Adding water to a good scotch will make the aroma more intense. I don't understand frat boys who think adding water to scotch is...like...unmacho or something. Most people I know who like scotch, as opposed to drinking it for image purposes, prefer it with a bit of water because it brings flavors out, not because it covers them up.

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Got a BigLaw offer… Now, how to prepare?

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:30 pm

sebastian0622 wrote:Adding water to a good scotch will make the aroma more intense. I don't understand frat boys who think adding water to scotch is...like...unmacho or something. Most people I know who like scotch, as opposed to drinking it for image purposes, prefer it with a bit of water because it brings flavors out, not because it covers them up.



If you want to add a little water to bring out the aroma, then ask for "scotch neat with a water back."

But adding a splash of water DOES NOT = ICE.

Adding a splash of water= enhances aroma/flavor (if done right).
Adding Ice=chills the drink, and waters it down, ruining the flavor.

Also, you are a stupid pleb.

I didn't want to get into water backs because someone that is doing it for the first time would fuck it up and ruin the drink, most likely.

Don't try to paint me like some stupid frat-boy, you classless twat.

run26.2
Posts: 896
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:35 am

Re: Got a BigLaw offer… Now, how to prepare?

Postby run26.2 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:50 pm

MrKappus wrote:Let me break it down real simple for you I'll spell it out so a child can understand it: SA'ing is not supposed to be LONGHOUR'ing. Idiots.

I think this depends on the office/firm environment. If you're only writing memos, fine, don't spend too much time on them. If you're producing work product that is going to the client, you better make sure that it's perfect.

In other words, an SA needs to gauge the importance of what she/he is working on and take no more time than is necessary. If the project is something a partner/sr associate wants to use with minimal revision, better to take a little longer to make it perfect/nearly perfect than to hand in something sloppy because you want to avoid looking inefficient.

Based on what I have heard from summers at other firms, some firms evaluate individuals on how well they can make judgments in these situations. At other firms, the work of an associate is sufficiently insulated from what goes into a document that is going to be filed or going to the client that the risk of seeming inefficient outweighs the benefits of making sure you have researched persuasive authority, for instance.

My advice is to figure out which situation you are in and act accordingly.

sebastian0622
Posts: 276
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: Got a BigLaw offer… Now, how to prepare?

Postby sebastian0622 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:07 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
sebastian0622 wrote:Adding water to a good scotch will make the aroma more intense. I don't understand frat boys who think adding water to scotch is...like...unmacho or something. Most people I know who like scotch, as opposed to drinking it for image purposes, prefer it with a bit of water because it brings flavors out, not because it covers them up.



If you want to add a little water to bring out the aroma, then ask for "scotch neat with a water back."

But adding a splash of water DOES NOT = ICE.

Adding a splash of water= enhances aroma/flavor (if done right).
Adding Ice=chills the drink, and waters it down, ruining the flavor.

Also, you are a stupid pleb.

I didn't want to get into water backs because someone that is doing it for the first time would fuck it up and ruin the drink, most likely.

Don't try to paint me like some stupid frat-boy, you classless twat.


trying too hard

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Got a BigLaw offer… Now, how to prepare?

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:09 pm

sebastian0622 wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:
sebastian0622 wrote:Adding water to a good scotch will make the aroma more intense. I don't understand frat boys who think adding water to scotch is...like...unmacho or something. Most people I know who like scotch, as opposed to drinking it for image purposes, prefer it with a bit of water because it brings flavors out, not because it covers them up.



If you want to add a little water to bring out the aroma, then ask for "scotch neat with a water back."

But adding a splash of water DOES NOT = ICE.

Adding a splash of water= enhances aroma/flavor (if done right).
Adding Ice=chills the drink, and waters it down, ruining the flavor.

Also, you are a stupid pleb.

I didn't want to get into water backs because someone that is doing it for the first time would fuck it up and ruin the drink, most likely.

Don't try to paint me like some stupid frat-boy, you classless twat.


trying too hard


Image

Image

Thanks for playing, though.

sebastian0622
Posts: 276
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: Got a BigLaw offer… Now, how to prepare?

Postby sebastian0622 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:17 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:Also, you are a stupid pleb.

...

Don't try to paint me like some stupid frat-boy, you classless twat.


still trying too hard

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Got a BigLaw offer… Now, how to prepare?

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:35 pm

sebastian0622 wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:Also, you are a stupid pleb.

...

Don't try to paint me like some stupid frat-boy, you classless twat.


still trying too hard



Ad hominem attack= a personal attack in place of an argument.

I insult you in addition to an argument; therefore my insult is not in place of an argument. Therefore my insults are not ad hominem attacks.

When you respond with nothing but "trying too hard" that is an ad hominem attack..

*sighs*

User avatar
JusticeHarlan
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: Got a BigLaw offer… Now, how to prepare?

Postby JusticeHarlan » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:38 pm

This thread was more fun when we were talking about whiskey.

sebastian0622
Posts: 276
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: Got a BigLaw offer… Now, how to prepare?

Postby sebastian0622 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:43 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:This thread was more fun when we were talking about whiskey.


I agree. I say if you really want to make a name for yourself, order two rounds of the well whiskey and give a toast to "money, whiskey, and bitches." See, this is the type of advice you can only get on TLS.

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Got a BigLaw offer… Now, how to prepare?

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:45 pm

sebastian0622 wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:This thread was more fun when we were talking about whiskey.


I agree. I say if you really want to make a name for yourself, order two rounds of the well whiskey and give a toast to "money, whiskey, and bitches." See, this is the type of advice you can only get on TLS.


And now you are complimenting yourself...

What the f.supp?
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Got a BigLaw offer… Now, how to prepare?

Postby What the f.supp? » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:49 pm

Tons of helpful info in this thread for those starting SAs next summer! To summarize and add a couple more things I found to be important/unimportant:

-first and foremost, polish your writing. Grab some of those Garner books from the library and peruse it. I learned last summer that writing effectively pays big dividends.
-research skills are also key. Don't stress about honing Westlaw/Lexis skills now because if you're lost you can always call the super helpful peeps at Westlaw for free--which I did constantly. Also your firm will have a library and librarians. They don't bill hourly, so they don't mind helping lost SAs with research stuff.
-look up the threads from May 2011 about tips for incoming summer associates. I found them very informative and helpful.
-no need to fret over the Bluebook. Know the basic bluepages stuff, but as a biglaw SA you'll have an assistant who can look Bluebook stuff up for you or recommend who is great with it and happy to help. Paralegals are Bluebook ballers but they are often overworked and unavailable to help you (that was my experience at least). I wrote a ton over the summer and used my Bluebook like once. If you're drafting client memos, the client doesn't want to pay tons for you to make sure 'id.' periods are italicized.
-drinking tolerance: know how many drinks you can have and still be able to converse professionally. I saw several summers in my class drink too much and say/do weird shit. Nothing too outrageous, but just stupid things like being overly comfortable and smarmy with introverted senior partners.
-that shedding weight tip on the previous page was awesome and so true. You sit in a chair all day. The firms will constantly feed you. Every SA work meeting has desserts and sodas and every event has ridiculously good food and drink. I gained just under 10 during the summer (which is gone now thank God).

Assorted gems for once you start work:
-grab another SA and take your assistants to lunch (on your dime). They will love you for it and bend over backwards for you during the summer if needed.
-read the newspaper and know a little bit about current events. You're going to be going out to lunch/dinner with random attorneys probably 2-4 times per week and it helps ease the conversation to have things to chat about.
-this goes without saying, but be fastidious with everything you do (proofread emails and all work product like no other)
-always be pleasant, stay calm, and don't be a spaz when things get stressful. If you need a couple minutes to freak out, go for a quick walk outside or close your office door and do what you need to do.

If you have any other Qs feel free to holler at me via pm or whatever.

User avatar
quakeroats
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

Re: Got a BigLaw offer… Now, how to prepare?

Postby quakeroats » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:19 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:I composed a list of 8 tips. YW in advance!

1. Practice ordering the following: "johnny walker black/red, neat." Or, if you want to go single malt- "Glenlevit, neat." (P.S. "neat" = straight up, no ice etc).

2. Never order chivas. Wtf is that shit anyway? It's for greasy pricks.

3. Since you are now ordering scotch straight up, learn how to sip on it.
It's fucking classy, and since you are drinking it straight up, its hard to pound (which is good, you don't want to be hammered).

4. Do not put fucking ice cubes in your scotch.
You wouldn't put ice cubes in your wine, would you?
Fucking animals.

5. Drink scotch out of a glass, instead of beer out of a can like some kind of fucking animal.

6. In the words of ATL.com's ellie mystal:
"If I had a kid who was interested in drinking Four Loko, you know what I would say? I’d say, 'Son, this here is a bottle of Glenlivet. It’s what your grandfather used to drink. You can drink your alcohol out of a can like an animal, or you can drink it out of a glass like a man. The choice is entirely up to you.' ”

7. Don't put ice cubes in your scotch. What, you think this is fucking soda or something?

8. God-damned animals.


Or order brandy instead. If you want to stick with whiskey, spend a few hours here first: http://www.thewhiskyadvocate.com/

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Got a BigLaw offer… Now, how to prepare?

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:11 pm

quakeroats wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:I composed a list of 8 tips. YW in advance!

1. Practice ordering the following: "johnny walker black/red, neat." Or, if you want to go single malt- "Glenlevit, neat." (P.S. "neat" = straight up, no ice etc).

2. Never order chivas. Wtf is that shit anyway? It's for greasy pricks.

3. Since you are now ordering scotch straight up, learn how to sip on it.
It's fucking classy, and since you are drinking it straight up, its hard to pound (which is good, you don't want to be hammered).

4. Do not put fucking ice cubes in your scotch.
You wouldn't put ice cubes in your wine, would you?
Fucking animals.

5. Drink scotch out of a glass, instead of beer out of a can like some kind of fucking animal.

6. In the words of ATL.com's ellie mystal:
"If I had a kid who was interested in drinking Four Loko, you know what I would say? I’d say, 'Son, this here is a bottle of Glenlivet. It’s what your grandfather used to drink. You can drink your alcohol out of a can like an animal, or you can drink it out of a glass like a man. The choice is entirely up to you.' ”

7. Don't put ice cubes in your scotch. What, you think this is fucking soda or something?

8. God-damned animals.


Or order brandy instead. If you want to stick with whiskey, spend a few hours here first: http://www.thewhiskyadvocate.com/



Brandy is always a good choice. Personally, I don't drink it too much because my wife cannot stand the smell, and its waaaay too smooth- I get drunk accidentally.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273256
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Got a BigLaw offer… Now, how to prepare?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:28 pm

What the f.supp? wrote:Tons of helpful info in this thread for those starting SAs next summer! To summarize and add a couple more things I found to be important/unimportant:

-first and foremost, polish your writing. Grab some of those Garner books from the library and peruse it. I learned last summer that writing effectively pays big dividends.
-research skills are also key. Don't stress about honing Westlaw/Lexis skills now because if you're lost you can always call the super helpful peeps at Westlaw for free--which I did constantly. Also your firm will have a library and librarians. They don't bill hourly, so they don't mind helping lost SAs with research stuff.
-look up the threads from May 2011 about tips for incoming summer associates. I found them very informative and helpful.
-no need to fret over the Bluebook. Know the basic bluepages stuff, but as a biglaw SA you'll have an assistant who can look Bluebook stuff up for you or recommend who is great with it and happy to help. Paralegals are Bluebook ballers but they are often overworked and unavailable to help you (that was my experience at least). I wrote a ton over the summer and used my Bluebook like once. If you're drafting client memos, the client doesn't want to pay tons for you to make sure 'id.' periods are italicized.
-drinking tolerance: know how many drinks you can have and still be able to converse professionally. I saw several summers in my class drink too much and say/do weird shit. Nothing too outrageous, but just stupid things like being overly comfortable and smarmy with introverted senior partners.
-that shedding weight tip on the previous page was awesome and so true. You sit in a chair all day. The firms will constantly feed you. Every SA work meeting has desserts and sodas and every event has ridiculously good food and drink. I gained just under 10 during the summer (which is gone now thank God).

Assorted gems for once you start work:
-grab another SA and take your assistants to lunch (on your dime). They will love you for it and bend over backwards for you during the summer if needed.
-read the newspaper and know a little bit about current events. You're going to be going out to lunch/dinner with random attorneys probably 2-4 times per week and it helps ease the conversation to have things to chat about.
-this goes without saying, but be fastidious with everything you do (proofread emails and all work product like no other)
-always be pleasant, stay calm, and don't be a spaz when things get stressful. If you need a couple minutes to freak out, go for a quick walk outside or close your office door and do what you need to do.

If you have any other Qs feel free to holler at me via pm or whatever.



Here's a link to the thread OP is referring to. I thought it was helpful . Except for the golfing/drinking debate that raged for like 2 pages. :lol:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=155445&start=75




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.