Got a BigLaw offer… Now, how to prepare? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Got a BigLaw offer… Now, how to prepare?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:03 pm

Hey guys,
I accepted a summer associate position with a large firm for next summer. I'm about to schedule courses for the spring semester and was wondering if anyone has suggestions regarding courses that will prep me well for the SA position. I am broadly interested in litigation and IP.

Thanks a lot.

sebastian0622

Bronze

Re: Got a BigLaw offer… Now, how to prepare?

Post by sebastian0622 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:05 pm

Bring lube?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:16 pm

1) Find the 1L LRW materials and carefully read them through again.
2) Read a book on legal writing and polish up your writing and research skills.
3) Shred off some weight now, for you will gain a lot after the summer.
4) Keep a reasonable GPA because some firms look at your 2L grades before making you an offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote: 3) Shred off some weight now, for you will gain a lot after the summer.
From my friends who just finished summering, this is very very true. Firms will feed you around the clock with portions far larger then you are used to eating. My friend said that with midnight pizza delivered to the office on a regular basis at her job, it was hard not to gain.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys,
I accepted a summer associate position with a large firm for next summer. I'm about to schedule courses for the spring semester and was wondering if anyone has suggestions regarding courses that will prep me well for the SA position. I am broadly interested in litigation and IP.

Thanks a lot.
Civpro and whatever IP topic you might be doing. Also, make sure you're a bluebook master/make sure your legal writing is on point.

You'll learn certain areas of substantive law when you work, though, so you can't really anticipate most of that. For example, if you're doing patents, take patent law or any other patent lit-related classes you want. In your cases, you'll have issues that don't come up in a LS class, but having the basic fundamentals down helps to start down the legal research road.

Don't stress too much, however, since you'll be learning mostly on the job. I did patent lit last summer, and it was basically patent law and civpro. If I could have done anything different, I would've brushed up on my FRCP.

Mostly, however, I recommend relaxing and not worrying about your summer.

HTH

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:22 pm

Start drinking more regularly to train your tolerance level. Definitely do your best to avoid drunken shenanigans at all costs.

tlstlstls73

New

Post by tlstlstls73 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:28 pm

How do you brush up on you're writing?

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:37 pm

tlstlstls73 wrote:How do you brush up on you're writing?
too easy

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:13 pm

Any suggestions how to improve research skills?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

marija

New

Post by marija » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:18 pm

All this advice is dead wrong. Your strategy should be to come in and sandbag the first week and a half - look as clueless and inept as possible. Then all of a sudden start turning out grade-A shit, and the firm will be impressed at your "quick learning abilities" and "adaptability." Definite offer.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any suggestions how to improve research skills?
Forum search. There's some good threads, but I'm too lazy to link them. Also, google was really helpful for me last year. Get started on improving those skillz by researching on how to improve those skillz, dooder.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: 3) Shred off some weight now, for you will gain a lot after the summer.
From my friends who just finished summering, this is very very true. Firms will feed you around the clock with portions far larger then you are used to eating. My friend said that with midnight pizza delivered to the office on a regular basis at her job, it was hard not to gain.

A summer working till midnight!? That's just stupid...what is associate life at a place like that like?

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:39 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

A summer working till midnight!? That's just stupid...what is associate life at a place like that like?
He/She will never find out. Working until midnight as an SA = personality/fit fail.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

solotee

Bronze

Post by solotee » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:45 pm

Things that I'm doing:
-Completing one lesson every day from "Plain English for Lawyers"
-Ordered a legal writing book which I plan on studying.
-Casually going through Strunk & White's Elements of Style
-Signed up for an advanced research class in the spring

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:48 pm

Take a lexis and westlaw refresher, especially on cost effective tips
Try to work part-time as a research assistant (seriously helps research and writing skills)

sjedood

New

Post by sjedood » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:51 pm

solotee wrote:Things that I'm doing:
-Completing one lesson every day from "Plain English for Lawyers"
-Ordered a legal writing book which I plan on studying.
-Casually going through Strunk & White's Elements of Style
-Signed up for an advanced research class in the spring
Honestly, dont you think this is way too ambitious? I plan on just focusing on school and enjoying not worrying about a job...everything your going to need to know as a summer will be on the job.
Last edited by sjedood on Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spaacecdt

New

Post by spaacecdt » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:20 pm

Any opinions on whether "core" classes are actually helpful/necessary before a SA? (e.g. Corporations, Evidence, etc.) Thanks.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:29 pm

Maybe I'm underestimating the intensity of the summer experience, but I am primarily going to enjoy the next 1.75 years of law school and try to build up a reserve of mental health and happiness.

tfer2222

Bronze

Post by tfer2222 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:40 pm

what if you're going into a SA and planning to solely focus on corporate/transactional work? Is the writing/research prep as necessary?

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:43 pm

tfer2222 wrote:what if you're going into a SA and planning to solely focus on corporate/transactional work? Is the writing/research prep as necessary?
Probably not as much, but take securities reg, corporations, and/or secured lending, if you can. They provide helpful background.

tfer2222

Bronze

Post by tfer2222 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:45 pm

MrKappus wrote:
tfer2222 wrote:what if you're going into a SA and planning to solely focus on corporate/transactional work? Is the writing/research prep as necessary?
Probably not as much, but take securities reg, corporations, and/or secured lending, if you can. They provide helpful background.
How much, if any, research/writing does a corporate/transactional associate actually do? Just curious.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:00 pm

tfer2222 wrote:
MrKappus wrote:
How much, if any, research/writing does a corporate/transactional associate actually do? Just curious.
"More than 'none,' but less than litigation associates" is the only answer I can really give, based on my experience. A lot more of your work is diligence, (some) drafting, creating filings, etc. You still do some research occasionally (e.g., on a state's particular UCC filing requirements), but it doesn't dominate your workload the way it does for lit associates.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:14 pm

What is the difference between litigation work and transactional work? which is more interesting and why?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:33 pm

Litigation and transactional are terms of convenience. Law firms tend to have litigation and then "everything else."

Litigation deals with issues most likely to go to trial. It involves discovery, depositions, filing motions, settlement negotiations, etc. etc. and occasionally an actual trial. To me, the majority of tasks in litigation are hopelessly boring, monotonous, and often unnecessarily contentious. When you get your first discovery response that is 15,000 pages of emails and business documents, you'll know what I mean.

Transactional work is kind of short-hand for anything that isn't litigation. It may be ferrying money around during a merger of two large companies, or it may be doing a will for an old farmer. Saying you're interested in transactional work doesn't really narrow it down.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:39 pm

For Summer Associates, do you recommend us to focus on transactional work projects or litigation projects?

Which are harder to do?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”