Got a BigLaw offer… Now, how to prepare? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
tlstlstls73

New

Re: Got a BigLaw offer… Now, how to prepare?

Post by tlstlstls73 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For Summer Associates, do you recommend us to focus on transactional work projects or litigation projects?

Which are harder to do?
If you have a choice, do a little of both. Not sure one is harder than the other. If you are a better writer/researcher and want to be strategizing cases, do litigation. If you want to do deals or compliance or reg or anything else, focus on transactional. Frankly a bit surprised by this question---seems like something you should know before going to an interview, let alone before your first summer on the job. Is this a serious question?

MBeezy11

New

Post by MBeezy11 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:50 pm

MrKappus wrote:
tfer2222 wrote:what if you're going into a SA and planning to solely focus on corporate/transactional work? Is the writing/research prep as necessary?
Probably not as much, but take securities reg, corporations, and/or secured lending, if you can. They provide helpful background.

I would also add accounting for lawyers and corporate finance for those with no business training interested in transactional work. A lot of transactional deals involve basic accounting concepts like net income, operating income, and other accounting ratios. There is nothing worse than sitting in on a 2 hour meeting or a call and not knowing what the dispute is about because of a lack of fundamental business knowledge.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:12 pm

Is bluebook mastering a necessity?

tfer2222

Bronze

Post by tfer2222 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:24 pm

MBeezy11 wrote:
MrKappus wrote:
tfer2222 wrote:what if you're going into a SA and planning to solely focus on corporate/transactional work? Is the writing/research prep as necessary?
Probably not as much, but take securities reg, corporations, and/or secured lending, if you can. They provide helpful background.

I would also add accounting for lawyers and corporate finance for those with no business training interested in transactional work. A lot of transactional deals involve basic accounting concepts like net income, operating income, and other accounting ratios. There is nothing worse than sitting in on a 2 hour meeting or a call and not knowing what the dispute is about because of a lack of fundamental business knowledge.
yeah for sure. i was fina major so i got most of that stuff down pretty well. (part of the reason i'm looking to do corp work in the first place)

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:27 pm

GeePee wrote:Start drinking more regularly to train your tolerance level. Definitely do your best to avoid drunken shenanigans at all costs.
Not exactly sure whether you mean drink more now so you can drink more later or something else.

I'd think it is good to learn to recognize the various stages from sober to drunk and avoid getting to the latter over the summer. It's not worth the risk. Drink slowly. You never know when someone's going to order a round of shots after you have already had a bunch of drinks and you are already nearly over the top.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:32 pm

I do not drink for religious purposes.

Do you think this will be frowned upon?

tfer2222

Bronze

Post by tfer2222 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I do not drink for religious purposes.

I have a friend who didnt drink during her entire SA this past summer and it didn't affect much at all. I think if you're a person who is used to social situations without drinking, you'll be fine. Some people need a few drinks to loosen up a little bit.

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:41 pm

tfer2222 wrote:

I have a friend who didnt drink during her entire SA this past summer and it didn't affect much at all. I think if you're a person who is used to social situations without drinking, you'll be fine. Some people need a few drinks to loosen up a little bit.
Agreed. It is not a problem that you don't drink per se. But you should still generally try to attend the events and be social.

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is bluebook mastering a necessity?
Are you doing litigation? If so, your career is likely to involve a substantial amount of writing. At some point or another you are going to have to learn the bluebook. Might as well be now, given that too many mistakes in your work product during your summer could have an impact on the possibility of you getting a job.
Last edited by run26.2 on Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:49 pm

run26.2 wrote:I'd think it is good to learn to recognize the various stages from sober to drunk and avoid getting to the latter over the summer. It's not worth the risk. Drink slowly. You never know when someone's going to order a round of shots after you have already had a bunch of drinks and you are already nearly over the top.
Very credited, especially if you're at a fratty-ish firm. Fine by me, but some people certainly struggle with this.
run26.2 wrote:

It is not a problem that you don't drink per se. But you should still generally try to attend the events and be social.
Also very credited. Its totally not a big deal, and nobody cares, but people do care if you don't attend any of the events or stand in the corner with other summers without branching out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:58 pm

Read and highlight Getting to Maybe.

But seriously, I asked each interviewer what advice they give to young associates, and one young(er) partner at the firm at which I'll be summering said, "Buy, read, and re-read The Curmudgeons Guide to Practicing Law".

tfer2222

Bronze

Post by tfer2222 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Read and highlight Getting to Maybe.

But seriously, I asked each interviewer what advice they give to young associates, and one young(er) partner at the firm at which I'll be summering said, "Buy, read, and re-read The Curmudgeons Guide to Practicing Law".
yeah i heard about this book. I heard it was kinda funny. Anyone have any insight as to it's usefulness?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:09 pm

run26.2 wrote:
Are you doing litigation? If so, your career is likely to involve a substantial amount of writing. At some point or another you are going to have to learn the bluebook. Might as well be now, given that too many mistakes in your work product during your summer could have an impact on the possibility of you getting a job.
how do you recommend working on bluebooking? (I am not in a journal).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:21 pm

Yeaaahhhhh, so I barely passed LRW because I basically gunned all the other classes and didn't pay too much attention to LRW. But I spent 1L summer writing decent amicus briefs for pro bono. How can I brush up/learn some writing/research skills. To be honest, it's the research part that haunts me most. Once I have what I need, the writing is usually fine.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yeaaahhhhh, so I barely passed LRW because I basically gunned all the other classes and didn't pay too much attention to LRW. But I spent 1L summer writing decent amicus briefs for pro bono. How can I brush up/learn some writing/research skills. To be honest, it's the research part that haunts me most. Once I have what I need, the writing is usually fine.
Bump.

solotee

Bronze

Post by solotee » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:27 pm

sjedood wrote:
solotee wrote:Things that I'm doing:
-Completing one lesson every day from "Plain English for Lawyers"
-Ordered a legal writing book which I plan on studying.
-Casually going through Strunk & White's Elements of Style
-Signed up for an advanced research class in the spring
Honestly, dont you think this is way too ambitious? I plan on just focusing on school and enjoying not worrying about a job...everything your going to need to know as a summer will be on the job.
My writing sucks bro. I'm compensating for it by learning the basics.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:29 pm

Interesting read: "What Law School Doesn't Teach You: But You Really Need to Know"

Family friend biglaw partner gave this to me. Lots of common sense crap, but there are a few good tips and its a super easy read.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
run26.2 wrote:
how do you recommend working on bluebooking? (I am not in a journal).
Anonymous User wrote:Yeaaahhhhh, so I barely passed LRW because I basically gunned all the other classes and didn't pay too much attention to LRW. But I spent 1L summer writing decent amicus briefs for pro bono. How can I brush up/learn some writing/research skills. To be honest, it's the research part that haunts me most. Once I have what I need, the writing is usually fine.
Here are some ways you can work on your researching and bluebooking skills that come to mind. Get on a moot court team, take trial/appellate advocacy, take a clinic (if your school offers them), or take a seminar that requires you to produce a substantial work product.

Calling the WestLaw representatives a few times for help on some of your research tasks will help improve your research. Ask them to send you the search strings. Learn how to write these yourself -- it is not that difficult. You will become much more efficient in your research. Basically, practice is what is going to improve your research and writing.

Also, tab your bluebook. You'll start to get a feel for where information is located.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:35 am

Bluebook depends on where you practice. Most courts couldn't care less about Bluebook format; they just want you to cite sources in a somewhat coherent and consistent way.

I wouldn't waste much time on bluebooking. What's more important is that you can read 150 cases in three days, distill the relevant information, and type a memo in the next few days after that based on what you've found. All while dealing with other short research assignments that come in on the fly, lunches, court hearings and trials, and networking events that you're pulled into.

There isn't an easy answer other than to be smart, not suck, and have some common sense.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:50 am

I'm going to reiterate the importance of writing skills, especially if you're doing litigation. I would say I wrote about 30-40 pages of memos, etc., this past summer, and the consensus was that reviewers were most impressed with writing/researching skills. You don't want to be the worst writer in your class because, ultimately, whether you get an offer will depend in large part upon your work product. So make sure all assignments are typo-free and well-bluebooked, and you shouldn't have any issues (so long as you're not a stupid drunkard or socially inept).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:44 pm

Good material in here!

Edit: Also, I got an offer to come back for a 2L SA position at the firm I did my 1L summer. I asked the recruiting partner what I can do to secure an offer for 2L summer. Among the things listed here, she said to pay attention to detail.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bluebook depends on where you practice. Most courts couldn't care less about Bluebook format; they just want you to cite sources in a somewhat coherent and consistent way.

I wouldn't waste much time on bluebooking. What's more important is that you can read 150 cases in three days, distill the relevant information, and type a memo in the next few days after that based on what you've found. All while dealing with other short research assignments that come in on the fly, lunches, court hearings and trials, and networking events that you're pulled into.

There isn't an easy answer other than to be smart, not suck, and have some common sense.
Thanks for the info. Do partners frown upon a SA that works long, long hours. It seems that since there is a lot going on in the summer program, if you are willing to work long hours, it will certainly help to re-edit those memos.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bluebook depends on where you practice. Most courts couldn't care less about Bluebook format; they just want you to cite sources in a somewhat coherent and consistent way.

Thanks for the info. Do partners frown upon a SA that works long, long hours. It seems that since there is a lot going on in the summer program, if you are willing to work long hours, it will certainly help to re-edit those memos.
Partners want production. You're going to work ridiculous hours after you're hired. They want you get good work done in as few hours as possible over the summer. In other words, if you're putting in more hours, it better show in your work product.

You also have to have an eye for the social scene. Even though everyone in biglaw works a ton, you don't want to be seen as the guy who is all work and no play.

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:43 am

Let me break it down real simple for you I'll spell it out so a child can understand it: SA'ing is not supposed to be LONGHOUR'ing. Idiots.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:39 am

MrKappus wrote:Let me break it down real simple for you I'll spell it out so a child can understand it: SA'ing is not supposed to be LONGHOUR'ing. Idiots.
So true.

In fact, if you're working far longer than everyone else on similar projects, and your reviewers notice diminishing returns on that extra time, it will be noted. That, broski, ain't good come mid-summer/final-review time.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”