Renegging on acceptance of offer--not for another firm

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Renegging on acceptance of offer--not for another firm

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:18 pm

What are people's thoughts on consequences, if any? Would reneg more so for personal reasons prior to May/June start, not for another firm (or another legal job at that). I know the classic responses are that it is bad taste, the legal community is small, etc., but was hoping for responses outside of these concerns.

AreJay711

Re: Renegging on acceptance of offer--not for another firm

Postby AreJay711 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:34 pm

It is a business and they know that. Ask yourself this: would the firm think twice about pulling their offer to you if it was in their interest? They probably wouldn't. I can't speak to the reaction of the firm or other firms but I would imagine anyone with any kind of business experience would realize that.

Plus, I doubt the firm thinks you are so special enough to even remember your name a week after you withdraw.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:57 pm

AreJay711 wrote:It is a business and they know that. Ask yourself this: would the firm think twice about pulling their offer to you if it was in their interest? They probably wouldn't. I can't speak to the reaction of the firm or other firms but I would imagine anyone with any kind of business experience would realize that.

Plus, I doubt the firm thinks you are so special enough to even remember your name a week after you withdraw.

thats a great way to put it in perspective...would your advice change based upon proximity to start date? i.e. if the reneg took place one month before scheduled as opposed to say 3 months before start date?

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
thats a great way to put it in perspective...would your advice change based upon proximity to start date? i.e. if the reneg took place one month before scheduled as opposed to say 3 months before start date?

Obviously the closer it is the worse it looks. I really don't know how it would affect your career though. Obviously your career services will tell you to stick with the job if at all possible (which might be the right choice) but maybe you ask some practicing attorneys what they think.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:34 pm

If you're reneging for something out of the legal world, then I say it doesn't really matter. Reneging isn't ideal, but ultimately any issues would come down to you reputation being harmed in the community, which does not seem like it would be a factor for you.

I think, out of courtesy, you should tell them as soon as you can, however.

Return to “Legal Employment”