Those without offers: don't give up

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Those without offers: don't give up

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:30 am

Around this time 1 year ago, I had no offers at my lower T14—I'm anonymous, so I'll come out and say it was GULC. I felt like dying. But a funny thing happened—in mid-October, postings on OCS's blog started to trickle in with open SA positions. I applied to a bunch of these and got some interviews, which was nice because I didn't even have to sit for a screening interview. I also had mass-mailed a ton of firms, and some of those came back positive as well. Long story short, I got several offers and an SA position.

I write this message for one reason only. I don't mean to inspire false hope. But I do want to say that it's not impossible.

berkeleykel06

Re: Those without offers: don't give up

Postby berkeleykel06 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:03 am

Stats/markets targeted?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:08 am

+1, I know a lot of my classmates have pulled down interviews and offers in the past week. Its late, but not over.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:16 am

We get one or two seat filler postings a week on our simplicity, I'm still without an offer, but hopefully something materializes.

Any thoughts on competition at this point? I mean, is it harder because there are so few slots, or easier because all the LR kids already went to other firms?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:28 am

romothesavior wrote:+1, I know a lot of my classmates have pulled down interviews and offers in the past week. Its late, but not over.

Any chance of a hint where?

KamaalTheAbstract

Postby KamaalTheAbstract » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:28 am

Honestly there's no reason to give up now. Tuition is already lost for the semester. This forum should be filled with optimism until January. That's when people should consider dropping out.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:
romothesavior wrote:+1, I know a lot of my classmates have pulled down interviews and offers in the past week. Its late, but not over.

Any chance of a hint where?

Two of the offers were in Florida, one was in Indy. I know of people getting interviews in the past 5-6 days in Florida, NYC, STL, and D.C. Don't want to out the firms because these are good friends of mine, but I will just reiterate that it is important to keep firing off mailers, and do everything you can to make a connection with someone at the firm ASAP (reaching out to alumni is what has helped a number of my friends).

Indifferent

Postby Indifferent » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:52 am

Smaller firms/government entities continue interviewing all year, don't give up hope!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:13 pm

Last year, I had my final callback the first week of November. Did not get an offer until late November. And I'm talking about biglaw. Don't give up.

Return to “Legal Employment”