Networking fail?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
piccolittle

Networking fail?

Postby piccolittle » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:04 am

So I've been searching for related threads but I haven't had great luck, so I would really appreciate some advice.

Had an informational interview with a really lovely partner at a firm I'm really interested in, who I met through family friends. We had a great chat, and she said she was going to email her recruiting partner to see if they could get me in to meet with some people about a summer opportunity. So far, networking win.

I wasn't sure whether to thank her by email or by physical card (I was raised writing those), so I erred on the more formal side and sent a card, basically saying that I really appreciated her guidance and would be grateful for her continued mentorship, if she ever had time for another chat.

Was this a mistake? I'm hoping she will be back in touch once she hears from the recruitment people, but if not, how do I go about subtly reminding her? Apologies if this is a dumb question, but obviously I don't have a lot of experience in these situations.

flcath

Re: Networking fail?

Postby flcath » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:18 am

She hot?

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:24 am

I would wait a little while before reminding her. She said she'll do it, give her some time to. Once some time has passed I would just send her an email reiterating your interest in the firm. She'll get the hint.

zomginternets

Postby zomginternets » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:39 am

newyorker88 wrote:I would wait a little while before reminding her. She said she'll do it, give her some time to. Once some time has passed I would just send her an email reiterating your interest in the firm. She'll get the hint.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:18 pm

defintely wait a little while (a week, at least) before emailing, but emailing is a good ideaa. you can email to (1) reiterate your interest and (2) ask if she needs any further informaiton, like a writing sample or list of references.

mths

Postby mths » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:defintely wait a little while (a week, at least) before emailing, but emailing is a good ideaa. you can email to (1) reiterate your interest and (2) ask if she needs any further informaiton, like a writing sample or list of references.

I'd say two weeks

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:36 pm

2-3 week wait, then polite email. Really no fail here on your part.

Return to “Legal Employment”