You guys deserve better.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
truevines

Re: You guys deserve better.

Postby truevines » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:50 pm

Not sure if you have considered the time you invest in your medical degrees.

4 years in medical school + 4 years of residency (during which you're paid ~$30k a year) and maybe another two years of fellowship ($50k - $60k).

And, finally, after 10 years after college, you becomes an attending physician and start earning the so-called doctor's salary.

A person who starts law school at the same time you start medical school will be a 7th-year associate, or even a partner already.
Last edited by truevines on Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:01 pm

Just received a PM from the OP re my comments in this thread:
JohnHopkinsMD wrote:You mad?

Obvious flame is obvious.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:11 pm

I don't know if it's already been pointed out, and I don't care to look, but it's Johns Hopkins, not John Hopkins. So yeah...

JohnHopkinsMD

Postby JohnHopkinsMD » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:27 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Just received a PM from the OP re my comments in this thread:
JohnHopkinsMD wrote:You mad?

Obvious flame is obvious.

So you are mad?

JohnHopkinsMD

Postby JohnHopkinsMD » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:34 pm

Interesting how upset some people get when someone tries to constructively share some words from experience, however anecdotal it may be.

flcath

Postby flcath » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:36 pm

NYC Law wrote:I don't know if it's already been pointed out, and I don't care to look, but it's Johns Hopkins, not John Hopkins. So yeah...

Even without the misspelling, he should've stayed down-to-earth with his MS claim: a nice SUNY or UWV would've made the point just fine.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:38 pm

JohnHopkinsMD wrote:Interesting how upset some people get when someone tries to constructively share some words from experience, however anecdotal it may be.

Let's face it, you made a lousy flame and you failed at it. Step back, take a few breaths, consider what you did wrong, and try again later. No point getting mad.

Flash

Postby Flash » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:40 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGH2d1jBJu8

I smoked pot with Johnny Hopkins.

yeast master

Postby yeast master » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:43 pm

Speaking as a Johns Hopkins degree holder, I can say with certainty that a Johns Hopkins student would know how to spell Johns Hopkins.

JohnHopkinsMD

Postby JohnHopkinsMD » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:45 pm

I could understand your guys' criticism if I came in here to simply say "DOCTORS RULE LAWYERS DROOL :p " but that is obviously not that case. I am here saying that you guys are all very smart people and deserve better than the lousy career prospects that pursuing law gives you. I don't understand the backlash at all to be quite honest.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:46 pm

Your bro sounds like a dipshit.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:47 pm

yeast master wrote:Speaking as a Johns Hopkins degree holder, I can say with certainty that a Johns Hopkins student would know how to spell Johns Hopkins.

lololololoololololololololol

JohnHopkinsMD

Postby JohnHopkinsMD » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:48 pm

romothesavior wrote:Your bro sounds like a dipshit.

Very mature. Good luck in the professional world.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:49 pm

JohnHopkinsMD wrote:

Jake Hopkins

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:50 pm

JohnHopkinsMD wrote:

Thanks, good luck at Billy Hopkins.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:56 pm

JohnHopkinsMD wrote:I could understand your guys' criticism if I came in here to simply say "DOCTORS RULE LAWYERS DROOL :p " but that is obviously not that case. I am here saying that you guys are all very smart people and deserve better than the lousy career prospects that pursuing law gives you. I don't understand the backlash at all to be quite honest.

Don't get me wrong, you're clearly committed to the flame, which I admire. But you need to recognize failure and cut your losses.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:56 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
JohnHopkinsMD wrote:I could understand your guys' criticism if I came in here to simply say "DOCTORS RULE LAWYERS DROOL :p " but that is obviously not that case. I am here saying that you guys are all very smart people and deserve better than the lousy career prospects that pursuing law gives you. I don't understand the backlash at all to be quite honest.

Don't get me wrong, you're clearly committed to the flame, which I admire. But you need to recognize failure and cut your losses.

Julio Hopkins

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:57 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

Julio Hopkins

Javier Hopkins Bardem. No country for MDs.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:59 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

Julio Hopkins

Juan Manuel Hopkins. Gave Manny Pacquiao fits.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:01 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Don't get me wrong, you're clearly committed to the flame, which I admire. But you need to recognize failure and cut your losses.

Julio Hopkins

Juan Manuel Hopkins. Gave Manny Pacquiao fits.

John Hopkins Gacy, joint degree holder of JD and Doctor of Clownology.

JohnHopkinsMD

Postby JohnHopkinsMD » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:01 pm

romothesavior wrote:
JohnHopkinsMD wrote:

Thanks, good luck making 55,000 per year doing document review, leasing a Honda Accord, making rent pay check to pay check while I am making millions of dollars performing surgeries that save peoples lives. I would be mad if I were you also.

I came in here hoping to be a voice for some mature, open-minded intellectuals, but instead I feel like I am in a high school chat room. Its no surprise the legal profession is so oversaturated when kids like some of you can just be given a Juris Doctor.
Last edited by JohnHopkinsMD on Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnHopkinsMD

Postby JohnHopkinsMD » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:03 pm

I'm glad a simple typo can amuse you guys so much. Whatever helps you sleep at night.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:07 pm

JohnHopkinsMD wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
JohnHopkinsMD wrote:

Thanks, good luck making 55,000 per year doing document review, leasing a Honda Accord, making rent pay check to pay check while I am making millions of dollars performing surgeries that save peoples lives. I would be mad if I were you also.

I came in here hoping to be a voice for some mature, open-minded intellectuals, but instead I feel like I am in a high school chat room. Its no surprise the legal profession is so oversaturated when kids like some of you can just be given a Juris Doctor.

Gettingstarted1928

Postby Gettingstarted1928 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:15 pm

JohnHopkinsMD wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
JohnHopkinsMD wrote:

LOL. Did OP just make everyone sit down?

JohnHopkinsMD

Postby JohnHopkinsMD » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:19 pm

Gettingstarted1928 wrote:

LOL. Did OP just make everyone sit down?

It is certainly not in my nature(especially behind a computer screen) and my initial intentions at all. I wanted to share an experience to be a voice of reason for who I thought would be a great of extremely intelligent young men and women. Instead I received this negative backlash.

Return to “Legal Employment”